Class of 2014 - Despite KJ, SU Ranks Near Bottom of ACC... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Despite KJ, SU Ranks Near Bottom of ACC...

Symphony Steve said: "Uh, 20 commits vs. 8."

To you both - Ok, I get that numbers sway the ranking, but how IS it that BC has 20 at this point? Are you telling me that SU is being more selective than BC?

This is classic. How does BC have 20 commits? They offered 20 players and those players accepted the scholarship offer. That's how.

As far as SU being more selective i would say we have been very selective to this point and it is working out wonderfully. There is buzz with recruits and guys are buying into the new staff and the program. Are we all the way there no but the positive movement is palpable. The guys visiting this month have multiple BCS offers and are as good or better then some of the current commits. Of course, there is still a long way to go.

If you follow this program i just don't understand how you can take such good news/buzz all around the football program and flip it on its head based upon an uniformed and factually lacking P-S article.

As stated before, lets wait til the game is over til we count our chips. I'll surmise at the end of the day you won't want to have your money on BC if your betting on who will have the higher ranking.

I haven't really looked at BC's class, but they did pull in Connor Strachan. He's got some serious game. Should be a really good LB. I'll take what you guys are saying about most of their kids having mediocre/bad offers because I don't feel like going through it, but I do know for sure some of their guys have talent

Yeah a couple of their guys like Strachan, Outlaw, and Landry look good. Overall their class looks like a GRob masterpiece though. We're aiming for better than that at this point.

Yeah a couple of their guys like Strachan, Outlaw, and Landry look good. Overall their class looks like a GRob masterpiece though. We're aiming for better than that at this point.

Well, a few things are true at this point.

Our coaches are creating some good buzz, and reaching back into their former recruiting territories, with moderate success. Seems better than last season, and we could get more good news in July.

We can hope (aiming for better) the class shapes up in the next couple of weeks, and then in the second part of the recruiting season.

And, at the same time, we are behind Rutgers, Pitt, BC, and neck and neck with Temple -- if you want to make a fair assessment. Sure, rankings are not precise, yak, yak, yak. I agree. Then look at the top 6 or 8 commits for each of these schools. We are fine at LB, and that is about it; and Temple with a new staff has done fine at OL and that is about it.

Again, we can catch up -- the Nassau trio may finally visit; McDonald can do wonders in Florida; there are many other possibilities including late efforts in the West Coast jucos; and a lot of prospects wait until November-December.

Our coaches are creating some good buzz, and reaching back into their former recruiting territories, with moderate success. Seems better than last season, and we could get more good news in July.

We can hope (aiming for better) the class shapes up in the next couple of weeks, and then in the second part of the recruiting season.

And, at the same time, we are behind Rutgers, Pitt, BC, and neck and neck with Temple -- if you want to make a fair assessment. Sure, rankings are not precise, yak, yak, yak. I agree. Then look at the top 6 or 8 commits for each of these schools. We are fine at LB, and that is about it; and Temple with a new staff has done fine at OL and that is about it.

Again, we can catch up -- the Nassau trio may finally visit; McDonald can do wonders in Florida; there are many other possibilities including late efforts in the West Coast jucos; and a lot of prospects wait until November-December.

Are you serious? :bat:

That's not even remotely true. Where are you coming up with that?

As to your second point, along with our LB's we have a QB that picked SU over 2 Pac12 schools and a WR that picked us over 8 other BCS offers.

Numerically we're behind all of them and that's about it. Comparing an 8 person (9 with Corey Cooper that the services won't get around to adding/ranking/whatever until probably January) to a 17 person class, or a 20 person class, is, at best, unfair. I'd say it's irresponsible journalism not to point out that the sites rank classes on points which gives favor to classes that have more bodies. The PS writer failed to do that which is not surprising because that would actually require one to do a little research.

UVA is the only fair comparison and at this point, on paper, they have a stronger class. Every other school in the ACC has 3 or more recruits more than SU does at this point and it's hardly an apples to apples comparison. All it shows is that they are ahead towards filling their classes but it doesn't necessarily show that they are landing more quality recruits.

As to your second point, along with our LB's we have a QB that picked SU over 2 Pac12 schools and a WR that picked us over 8 other BCS offers.
Add in Cooper from last year's class who is prepping the fall semester and will be a January enrollee. I think that solidifies 3 positions at least (WR, QB and LB).

Truth doesn't matter when your glass is always half empty.

Wow, I just read the article linked and it's not even that bad and does explain some of it.

"The Orange has fewer verbal commitments than most ACC teams, which means its current ranking is more likely to rise than others as teams continue to recruit."

"Perhaps most importantly, though, the Orange no longer lag behind the majority of the ACC in recruiting blue-chip (four- and five-star) talent.
Half the conference has one or fewer four-star players currently committed, putting Syracuse in a peer group that includes Georgia Tech, Louisville, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Duke and Wake Forest. Virginia Tech, North Carolina and North Carolina State have verbals from only two blue-chip players each.

Virginia, along with the three teams with the most fertile home recruiting areas (Miami, Florida State and Clemson) have at least three blue-chip players committed. All four are unanimously among the top 30 classes in the country."

Was that stuff not originally in the article?

Wow, I just read the article linked and it's not even that bad and does explain some of it.

"The Orange has fewer verbal commitments than most ACC teams, which means its current ranking is more likely to rise than others as teams continue to recruit."

"Perhaps most importantly, though, the Orange no longer lag behind the majority of the ACC in recruiting blue-chip (four- and five-star) talent.
Half the conference has one or fewer four-star players currently committed, putting Syracuse in a peer group that includes Georgia Tech, Louisville, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Duke and Wake Forest. Virginia Tech, North Carolina and North Carolina State have verbals from only two blue-chip players each.

Virginia, along with the three teams with the most fertile home recruiting areas (Miami, Florida State and Clemson) have at least three blue-chip players committed. All four are unanimously among the top 30 classes in the country."

This is amazing news you mean the recruiting season isn't over (insert sarcasm alert here) :crazy:

When I opened the link I only saw up to the point of the chart - either the whole article didn't load for me or he added to it after the fact.

That being said, when your title is "SU ranks at the bottom of the ACC in recruiting" and you have to wait until 3/4's of the way through the article to qualify that, it's fairly misleading. Many people who are casual fans may just glance the titles on a lot of this stuff and move on. I expect this from the CNN's of the world. I don't expect it from the hometown paper.

You are just plain wrong. If we had B.C.'s class right now, many here would be on a ledge somewhere.

When I opened the link I only saw up to the point of the chart - either the whole article didn't load for me or he added to it after the fact.

That being said, when your title is "SU ranks at the bottom of the ACC in recruiting" and you have to wait until 3/4's of the way through the article to qualify that, it's fairly misleading. Many people who are casual fans may just glance the titles on a lot of this stuff and move on. I expect this from the CNN's of the world. I don't expect it from the hometown paper.

same here. he must have added it? i know i messaged him correcting him on a few things, mainly how Cooper was being factored in as NR. It was frustrating reading this article. Here we are the day after one of the biggest commitments in over a decade and they follow up KJ soft verbal article last night up with this trash today. It's just totally ridiculous. Let the city feel good about their program for at least a few days before spewing this trash, never mind it's inaccurate. And people wonder why Marrone black balled everyone excpet Rahme. Totally unprofessional.

same here. he must have added it? i know i messaged him correcting him on a few things, mainly how Cooper was being factored in as NR. It was frustrating reading this article. Here we are the day after one of the biggest commitments in over a decade and they follow up KJ soft verbal article last night up with this trash today. It's just totally ridiculous. Let the city feel good about their program for at least a few days before spewing this trash, never mind it's inaccurate. And people wonder why Marrone black balled everyone excpet Rahme. Totally unprofessional.

Ok then I wasn't going crazy and it wasn't a technical glitch. Just lazy, lazy, lazy, lazy, lazy, lazy, lazy reporting.

its why the paper will go out of business in less than ten years, i dont want to read this garbage.

its why the paper will go out of business in less than ten years, i dont want to read this garbage.

i really don't know who does. there argument is they are being objective, but you can be objective in a classy way. we did something positive, give it a few days, and do your homework before pissin of some readers and further discouraging other non recruiting savvy readers.

Going by average stars, we move up about 19 spots on that list. I'd say that's a more accurate assessment of class quality. BC averages 2.6 stars and we're at 2.86 (with Cabinda not rated yet). The Rut is at 2.8.

So who is recruiting better again?

i really don't know who does. there argument is they are being objective, but you can be objective in a classy way. we did something positive, give it a few days, and do your homework before pissin of some readers and further discouraging other non recruiting savvy readers.

I'm not asking the PS to write fluff pieces, but this "reporting", or more accurately, regurgitation of recruiting site information and rankings is just a joke. It's bad enough you've got Tweedle Dumb on the new PS staff trying to grade recruits. Now we have Tweedle Dumb #2 telling us our class sucks because he looked at a subjective ranking list without even taking the time to understand how those rankings are compiled. What's next? Is the PS going to hire Dohn to be the beat writer?

Going by average stars, we move up about 19 spots on that list. I'd say that's a more accurate assessment of class quality. BC averages 2.6 stars and we're at 2.86 (with Cabinda not rated yet). The Rut is at 2.8.

So who is recruiting better again?

Just looking at the Rvls team rankings, Rutgers is in the top 25 and they have SEVEN 2 star recruits. That should tell anyone all they need to know about trying to make anything out of rankings this early in the cycle.

There is a deeper problem here. Scrutiny is fine. You want to show the "good" and the "bad" to balance things out, that's also fine. I don't think there's any malicious intent here. He thinks that he's being, as you say, "objective." He believes that he's providing balance, which is fine and a journalistic responsibility. The problem, though, is that this article is simply not good journalism. There are no questions behind the statements made. Okay, fine Syracuse is currently lagging in the rankings, but why is Syracuse "struggling" against its ACC competitors? Why do the other ACC teams save Wake have more commitments at this point in time? Is there a different strategy being following at Syracuse compared to the other schools? Does that strategy encourage recruits to take more time in making their decisions? Is the new staff still playing catch-up after the coaching turnover? Has there been a sea-change in the recruiting calendar and should SU fans be concerned about where the class stands right now? I don't know the answers to any of these questions but neither does Mink. To know the answers, he would actually have to do some reporting rather than just tabulate the results he found in a 5 minute google search.

And Mink is certainly not alone. J-schools (including Newhouse) have dropped the ball nationwide and the internet has further degraded professional journalism. Most newspaper articles now are either gossip columns rehashing material gathered from social media or public relations articles fed to them by the communications departments at government agencies and corporations or human interest nonsense for old ladies.

It's interesting to note that Mr. Mink, whose football stories all seem to have a negative slant, seems to be a recent graduate of Penn State.

I'd like to think he's not biased, but he's not very good at the writing part of his job so I also doubt he's very good at the being impartial part. Can't wait to see some of his articles leading up to the season opener.

It's interesting to note that Mr. Mink, whose football stories all seem to have a negative slant, seems to be a recent graduate of Penn State.

I'd like to think he's not biased, but he's not very good at the writing part of his job so I also doubt he's very good at the being impartial part. Can't wait to see some of his articles leading up to the season opener.
Well Cohen's a Syracuse grad and he wrote some of the most ridiculous articles while he was with the daily orange.

Donnie Webb was a Bama fan, he was just professional and good at what he did.