Devito activated | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Devito activated

disagree He was signed to the practice squad due to injuries. Desperation

What injuries were there that resulted in Devito being signed to the practice squad? He was signed to the practice squad immediately after training camp. At the time, Daniel Jones and Tyrod Taylor were both healthy and the #1 & #2 QB's. So who was injured that resulted in him being signed to the practice squad?

This Devito thing is all that’s wonderful about sports. Long may it last and good for him. I can only imagine his father’s bursting pride.

Embrace the Italian! I’m all in - and I HATE the giants.
I'm seeing a lot of non-Giants fans embracing this story. I'm hoping, as a Giant's fan, that this keeps going. At New Orleans next week and then two out of thee against the Eagles to end the season in one of the worst schedule making ever.

The Packers aren’t bad. They had won as many games against playoff teams as the Bills have.

He had one incompletion in the second half.
They are not good.. the league is down to about 5 good teams 2-3 bad teams and 20 avg teams at best.

He played well, the game has slowed down a bit for him. He slid in the pocket a few times and he checked down throws much of the night.

Play calling was solid and the few designed runs mostly worked.

deciding to run sweeps on the short yardage plays and getting blown up was bad.

Seems like 75% the league is at .500 or worse and has playoff chances now

What kind of a wizard coach does it take to tell a kid not to run out of bounds with the ball? He shouldn't have had to be told.

And didn't he have lots of private QB coaching? Or am I mixing him up with someone else? If he did, I guess those coaches weren't very good either.

Maybe it has something to do with football now being his full-time job and having unlimited time to be coached, practice, watch, think. They say the game slows down for players as they get experience. Maybe that's (finally) happening to Tommy.

I don’t understand people blaming the system. It wasn’t the system. It was the O line that was bad. Tommy’s first year as a starter was just as good as his last year at Illinois.
The system was relying on tempo, to negate the blitz. When tempo didn't work, the lack of Blitz pickup preparation was painfully obvious. You don't start prepping for BPU 3 games into the year. You start in spring - and work on it year round.

Before Devito was injured, they were working on implementing a completely different scheme - Tommy under center, Pistol etc... Because what we were doing wasn't working, and they were going to try to adapt to player strengths. I was happy the staff was willing to make the change- but Tommy went down, and we never saw it. Following year, they hoped everything had fixed itself- which it hadn't.

Bringing Schmidt on board was a huge upgrade. When they made the change from Tommy, they implemented a bunch of Schmidt plays, because they knew we'd have to run the ball.. We did change some scheme things. Just not when Tommy was healthy at QB.

Ac
What injuries were there that resulted in Devito being signed to the practice squad? He was signed to the practice squad immediately after training camp. At the time, Daniel Jones and Tyrod Taylor were both healthy and the #1 & #2 QB's. So who was injured that resulted in him being signed to the practice squad?
Actually TD was waived during cuts and resigned. To practice squad . I had thought it was a few games into the season, but it was August 29th upon google search. The signing wasn’t desperate, the playing was .

Ac

Actually TD was waived during cuts and resigned. To practice squad . I had thought it was a few games into the season, but it was August 29th upon google search. The signing wasn’t desperate, the playing was .

Yes, you have to be waived first in order to be signed to the practice squad. That's standard procedure. Of course he is playing out of desperation. No one is disagreeing with that. That being said, Tyrod was active last night and yet they decided to give Tommy the start over him.

Yes, you have to be waived first in order to be signed to the practice squad. That's standard procedure. Of course he is playing out of desperation. No one is disagreeing with that. That being said, Tyrod was active last night and yet they decided to give Tommy the start over him.
No doubt, TD is doing well , beyond what anybody beyond the Devito clan would have expected. Let’s see if he can maintain it . He has already insured a contract ( not practice squad ) 2024 … most likely.

Varying opinions aside. The best part of the Devito story, is everyone can tell just how much fun he's having with it. In an age where athletes are sometimes too serious, or full of themselves? Tommy is having an absolute BLAST, and everyone knows it. He's making it FUN, and is probably the easiest guy in the NFL to root for!

I really hope he gets a reality show. We need this.

As to his game, it is all of the above. It is ok to say that.

We weren't going to win many games with him throwing for 198 ypg (current 3 game W streak) or 199 ypg (Illinois stats). What he is doing now and what he did at Illinois is similar to what he did vs FSU in 2018. We recruited him to be so much more than that. Dino's system required him to be so much more than that. Even in 2021 we gave him a chance to be what he is now and he failed miserably.

He has grown since then mostly thanks to Daboll. It took a very good QB guru just to make him serviceable.

a7571ddd-0a39-4856-9ba3-0f03e7c3d1aa_text.gif

Devito has thrown for the same or more TD's than the following QB's this year that have all started the same amount or more games than him:

DeShaun Watson
Zach Wilson
Jimmy G
Kenny Pickett
Kyler Murray
Tyson Bagent
Will levis

He has also thrown just one less than Ridder and Bryce Young who have both started over 10 games.

Once you get past the top 15-20 guys in the league Devito stacks up just as well as anyone. He should make a lot of money as a journeyman backup and potential spot starter.

Last edited:
2018 - QB Coach Kirk Martin

Dungey
226 / 371 - 2868 yds 18 td / 9 int

DeVito
FR - 44/87 525 yds, 4 td / 3 int

2019 - QB Coach Kirk Martin

DeVito's sophomore year; best stats of his career. 213/337 2300 yards, 19 tds and 5 int.

Welch - 36/68 523 yds - 4 td / 2 int

2020 - QB Coach Gilbert (covid)

DeVito
JR - 48/96 - 593yds 4td / 2int (injured 4 games)

Culpepper - 94/190 1028 yards - 9 td / 8 int
Morgan - 31/49 285 yards - 2 td / 2 int

2021 - QB Coach Gilbert

switched to Garrett Shrader
123/234 1445 yards - 9td / 4int

DeVito - 32/52 - 388yds 1td / 2int

2022 - transfer to Illinois
stats
257/369 2650 yards - 15 td / 4 int

Conclusions?

Last edited:
The system was relying on tempo, to negate the blitz. When tempo didn't work, the lack of Blitz pickup preparation was painfully obvious. You don't start prepping for BPU 3 games into the year. You start in spring - and work on it year round.

Before Devito was injured, they were working on implementing a completely different scheme - Tommy under center, Pistol etc... Because what we were doing wasn't working, and they were going to try to adapt to player strengths. I was happy the staff was willing to make the change- but Tommy went down, and we never saw it. Following year, they hoped everything had fixed itself- which it hadn't.

Bringing Schmidt on board was a huge upgrade. When they made the change from Tommy, they implemented a bunch of Schmidt plays, because they knew we'd have to run the ball.. We did change some scheme things. Just not when Tommy was healthy at QB.
Tommy’s 2019 season was on par with his last season in Illinois (where he had a strong run game to support him). We can’t just paint it with a broad brush and say bad scheme. It’s a combination of a lot things Mainly the O line. Now we can blame the staff for not having the O line good enough. A poor O line affects the run game as well. That doesn’t allow you to have effective play action pass concepts (because the defense is not honoring the run)

Tempo is not a scheme. It’s a pace for the offense. It doesn’t change anything as far as play designs and reads. There are many teams at all levels in college that run different speeds to call their plays. SU just wasn't good enough at it. They weren’t good enough when they went slow either.

Tommy’s 2019 season was on par with his last season in Illinois (where he had a strong run game to support him). We can’t just paint it with a broad brush and say bad scheme. It’s a combination of a lot things Mainly the O line. Now we can blame the staff for not having the O line good enough. A poor O line affects the run game as well. That doesn’t allow you to have effective play action pass concepts (because the defense is not honoring the run)

Tempo is not a scheme. It’s a pace for the offense. It doesn’t change anything as far as play designs and reads. There are many teams at all levels in college that run different speeds to call their plays. SU just wasn't good enough at it. They weren’t good enough when they went slow either.
Indeed. Tempo took time from developing BPU in practice - until it didn't- but it was too late.

Oline development was poor, and why Cav got the Axe.

Tommy certainly had issues, here, no question. I don't think play calling always put him in the best spot to succeed. That was a common LOUD complaint around here. Dabol seems to have adapted to what Tommy can do well. With a different mindset, I'd like to think that could have happened here. Hindsight is 20/20, but its obvious Devito had a high upside.

Last edited:
I do think DeVito's NFL success suggests some coaching issues we had.

I'll also say it's possible that Tommy is better suited for the NFL game than he was for college. You see that more in the NBA than the NFL, but his strengths are more apparent in the NFL and his weaknesses at least so far don't seem to be as big of a deal.

I'm glad people are having fun with this. The NFL needed something like it. It's been a boring season in the NFL if we're being honest.

Indeed. Tempo took time from developing BPU in practice - until it didn't- but it was too late.

Oline development was poor, and why Cav got the Axe.

Tommy certainly had issues, here, no question. I don't think play calling always put him in the best spot to succeed. That was a common LOUD complaint around here. Dabol seems to have adapted to what Tommy can do well. With a different mindset, I'd like to think that could have happened here. Hindsight is 20/20, but its obvious Devito had a high upside.

Exacty the O line was coached poorly. Blitiz pick up has nothing to do with tempo. Cav just coached it poorly. I agree Tommy is managing the game well. He doesnt throw ints. He would rather take a sack. You can win games that way. Credit to the coaches for finding a way run an efficent offense with him. He is showing what he always shown and thats being a pretty effcient QB when given the protection and not thrown in situations where he has to come back.

People said he had a NFL arm coming out of HS. All these 4 star QB's have the upside. Most of them dont pan out. Tommy is making the most of his situation and having fun out there.

It's kind of funny, but I find that I claim one year, grad transfer types, that play their final year in basketball or football as a Syracuse player... I don't think of Cole Swider as a Villanova player in the NBA. Yet, I see all these listings (i.e. Syracuse quarterbacks with the most wins) claiming DeVito as an SU quarterback. I don't know, it's a weird landscape. If Joe Girard got drafted in the NBA (this is being used as a hypothetical example, not as as an expectation, haha) he would be listed as a Clemson player in the league, correct? It feels incorrect to me for Syracuse fans to try & claim DeVito as a Syracuse player in the NFL...