devito, welch, passer rating, sacks | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

devito, welch, passer rating, sacks

because thats what it is was.. he threw it way too early because pressure was coming and it turned out perfect. i also think he knew ahead of time that if he got pressure thats where he was going. TD tried the same thing a few times too, but its hard to throw those high lob throws with great timing.

I think people look at results and say Welch played better.. But the reality is he hit a home run prayer pass and ran a few times. He also bounced a few throws and held the ball a couple times.

One thing he did do though was say screw it Im throwing to my first read quickly and a few times it worked.

Play calling hurts us the first half. its time to figure out when we are 2nd and 2 just take the first down and stop trying to do too much..

Its pretty clear the offense is broke when every red zone requires trickery and we are trying WR sprint runs inside our own 10.
It wasn't a prayer, it was a smart play that was clearly there.

I don’t think Welch is a better QB than DeVito but that’s silly way of describing that pass. You make it sound like he heaved it up while falling backwards and it happened to land in a SU players hands. He absolutely benefitted from Pitt not expecting him to try that throw but he threw a perfect ball to the WR. Calling it a prayer pass is silly.

We’re used to seeing deep balls overthrown by 15 yards, so maybe it does feel like a prayer when one is actually on the money.

because thats what it is was.. he threw it way too early because pressure was coming and it turned out perfect. i also think he knew ahead of time that if he got pressure thats where he was going. TD tried the same thing a few times too, but its hard to throw those high lob throws with great timing.

I mean, you just described a perfect pass by a QB. He throws it early before getting sacked, he knew beforehand pressure was coming and knew where he wanted to go, and our previous QB had difficulty throwing with the right trajectory and great timing.

I’m confused.

Right now this is simple to me. The TD led offense doesn't move. The Welch led offense scored two TDs and moved the ball much more consistently. Who gives us a better chance to win games? Right now that answer is not TD.

I'd like to add that I don't think Welch is the answer. He clearly doesn't have the arm talent that TD does and is not a starting ACC QB. The fact that he moves the ball and TD doesn't is extremely concerning to me.
if we start welch and he tries to do his best eric dungey impression, it's not going to matter for long because he probably won't last more than a game or two and we will be back to Tommy anyway.

Vs NC State - DeVito threw it up a ton and got some PI on that late scoring drive. DeVito has had some really nice deep throws for TD too. Welch did the same thing late vs Pitt.

if we start welch and he tries to do his best eric dungey impression, it's not going to matter for long because he probably won't last more than a game or two and we will be back to Tommy anyway.

Babers already said Tommy is the starter if he’s healthy enough to go.

As it should be. A problem is that we have one legit QB on the roster. How does that happen to a P5 program?

Devito has already taken a serious thrashing this season. That last hit when he got knocked out of the game was as bad as any that Dungey took, except CMU cheap shot. FSU has to be very angry right now, I think they will send the house and try to injure him.

The way I see it - Welch made a great play.

I don't think he has many of them in him though.