Devo Podcast | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Devo Podcast

Great player here but provides me a lot of what if's? What if he had played more here? What if his NBA career wasn't disappointing? Not my favorite player but certainly one of our most talented.

I think Hop stopped every player from transferring.

Hey may well have, but it doesn't mean other assistant coaches aren't filling a similar role now.

So we need a position of a gatekeeper, like Heimdall in Thor. Successful applicants will be standing on the rainbow bifrost bridge 24/7 and denying access to the transfer portal.

There’s also a reason that so many players keep a close relationship to the program, just the latest example DNic. We see the TBT tournament alumni involvement plus players from all different eras like Rosie Bouie, Louis Orr, Pearl Washington to Gene Waldron, Ryan Blackwell, Lawrence Moten, Preston Shumpert, Billy Edelin, Eric Devendorf etc returning. This doesn’t happen in a vacuum. People seem to ignore the podcasts where former players mention how they feel about their time here and how time perspective makes them realize they were the best times of their lives. No one mentions that players like MCW saying that he plans after his career to return in some way to payback the program. Mike , a great assistant who is missed, wasn’t always here and hasn’t been here now for over 4 years. Hop is actually another example of the throng of players returning to the program and JB himself.

There’s also a reason that so many players keep a close relationship to the program, just the latest example DNic. We see the TBT tournament alumni involvement plus players from all different eras like Rosie Bouie, Louis Orr, Pearl Washington to Gene Waldron, Ryan Blackwell, Lawrence Moten, Preston Shumpert, Billy Edelin, Eric Devendorf etc returning. This doesn’t happen in a vacuum. People seem to ignore the podcasts where former players mention how they feel about their time here and how time perspective makes them realize they were the best times of their lives. No one mentions that players like MCW saying that he plans after his career to return in some way to payback the program. Mike , a great assistant who is missed, wasn’t always here and hasn’t been here now for over 4 years. Hop is actually another example of the throng of players returning to the program and JB himself.

ive been to 4 of our 6 final fours. I’ve never seen a bigger throng of ex players in attendance than SU.

Yup...and honestly I dont think any other school compares

The passage of time and development of maturity and perspective helps many of the former players realize that this is a serious business and Coach as their first boss calls the shots. There is a tremendous amount at stake at this level for everyone involved. This is JB’s team and he is doing what he believes is best to win (and not what is best for each player to make as much money as possible post SU). It is clear DW might have been the best player on that team, but Coach wanted to get the best out of him for every moment on the floor and he felt it was essential to let DW build up some rage before entering the game. Perhaps DW would not have been as locked in if he started the game. No doubt he imparted on to those who made it through the process life lessons to survive and thrive in the world.

Dion flat out called him a liar.
I'm torn on whether to believe he actually promised him 30 minutes a game. Dion was a relative unknown when he verballed. We've seen some token starters but no one publically that I can think of that came out publically that could make that statement of guaranteed minutes

I think Hop stopped every player from transferring.
Personally speaking... Hop is just a real people person. Early on our kids played against each other during youth hoops, specifically at LeMoyne. Although he couldn't coach, he would be right there on the sideline. We beat them a few times and his kids would win sometimes. The thing is every year or whenever he would see me, he would come up with this big smile and give me a "Bro" hug like we had known each other our whole life, even though there were hundreds of kids and parents, with all type of things going on.

ive been to 4 of our 6 final fours. I’ve never seen a bigger throng of ex players in attendance than SU.
Also... Loved that they would do this low key thing every year during the summer where players would all come back and play pickup with each other. The funny thing was how important it was for them to get back in town and be there for this. Would have loved to be in the gym watching the different generation play against each other but it was really just the ex-players inside for the most part. Kind of like some SU Hoop "field of dreams" thing or something... (except they were alive FCOL!

Dion flat out called him a liar.
I was surprised by that. When Dion was suspended (for the third time) by the Heat after the THC-infused edible incident on the plane he flew back to Syracuse to get advice from JB. He said at the time “I just wanted to come up and talk to Coach,” Waiters said. “I know that’s a person who will always be there for me if I ever need anything. It’s a chance for me to come up, be around, talk to the coaches, things like that. And that’s important.”

Didn't see this comment coming a year later.

I'm torn on whether to believe he actually promised him 30 minutes a game. Dion was a relative unknown when he verballed. We've seen some token starters but no one publically that I can think of that came out publically that could make that statement of guaranteed minutes

i recall a tonnnnn of players when they committed saying the staff never promised them anything and they appreciated that. Dion might be confused a little here...

i recall a tonnnnn of players when they committed saying the staff never promised them anything and they appreciated that. Dion might be confused a little here...
Could also be dependent on players other offers and HS status.

It's been a while since a new Devo podcast came out. Anyone know what the delay is? Is ED continuing the podcast? I hope so, I really enjoy them.

On a similar note, what happened to Wallace's "Power Forward" podcast? I haven't seen a new episode since December of last year. I love hearing JW tell stories and hearing that he still has his swagger.

It's been a while since a new Devo podcast came out. Anyone know what the delay is? Is ED continuing the podcast? I hope so, I really enjoy them.

On a similar note, what happened to Wallace's "Power Forward" podcast? I haven't seen a new episode since December of last year. I love hearing JW tell stories and hearing that he still has his swagger.
Could be because of TBT?

He is just now is not the time

I was surprised by that. When Dion was suspended (for the third time) by the Heat after the THC-infused edible incident on the plane he flew back to Syracuse to get advice from JB. He said at the time “I just wanted to come up and talk to Coach,” Waiters said. “I know that’s a person who will always be there for me if I ever need anything. It’s a chance for me to come up, be around, talk to the coaches, things like that. And that’s important.”

Didn't see this comment coming a year later.
I also recall seeing a tweet from Dion years ago where he said something like he met Boeheim when he was 14 and he helped make him the man he (Dion) is. He called JB one of the greatest coaches of all time.

When I listened to the podcast, and he called JB a liar, I didn’t get the impression there was malice intended or anger.

Dion seems to bleed Orange and to have a lot of respect for JB.