Devo Podcast | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Devo Podcast

if you listen to the Josh Pace interview he also mentioned they both (Pace and Hak) seriously considered transferring but were talked out of it (I think by Hop). If the no sit out transfer rules were happening they would both have been goners I think.

Last edited:
Not a coincidence that his back injury and our struggles down the stretch in 2013 came at the same time. He had been playing great before that. Don't remember any discussion about him not practicing.

Last edited:
if you listen to the Josh Pace interview he also mentioned they both seriously considered transferring but were talked out of it (I think by Hop). If the no sit out transfer rules were happening they would both have been goners I think.
It's really easy to go down a "rabbit hole" of hypotheticals for both past players and the current departures. You have two variables. Hopkins gone, and looser rules for transferring. How much of an impact does each one have?

Reading the tea leaves of all the podcasts, there is a common denominator of Hopkins dealing with disgruntled players, and convincing them to stay the course.

Instead of going back to 5-15 years ago (where memories can differ from reality at the time), I wonder most about what sort of difference Hopkins could have made in 2020. It's impossible to know for sure, but it's safe to say Hopkins on staff would have helped rather than hurt.

I really thought Triche had great insights and was impressed by his memory of exact games and players from high school and college haha.

It was fun to hear about those guard 2 on 2s and what he said about Dion towards the end of the interview about how you are playing against somebody and just realize wow he’s really really good.

Also it was interesting to hear what he said about being kind of a second, third, or fourth option on some truly great teams or put up gaudy stats on a mediocre team like Boeheim did this year. I’m very happy Triche was at Syracuse but do wonder what he could have done at a college where he would be the focal point. I think we all saw flashes but as he talked about would he have been to passive to be the top guy on a team.

I liked MCW’s podcast too. How he learned so much by playing only 10 minutes a game his freshman year by making practices his ‘game’ time. How his experience has helped him survive over even more talented players who didn’t unfortunately make it in the NBA for as long as he has. The importance of learning to accept roles to make your team better and earn a coach’s confidence.

What struck me is that every player hits some type of adversity even multiple ones, during their career whether it be a scoring droughts, defensive issues, injury, playing time etc - whatever. Adversity doesn’t go away in the NBA either so learning how to handle it productively has much to do with your longevity as a player.

Love the Jerami Grant idea. Going to try to get him soon.
Couple older names that might be good interviews-

Jason Cippolla- one of our few juco transfers, big shot vs Georgia/ncaa tourney run, Lorraine bracco

Otis Hill- really struggled early and lacked confidence to one of greatest developmental turnarounds, ncaa run

winfred Walton- what could have been?

Ramel Lloyd- top recruit, struggled to get mins as frosh and transfer, big numbers at Long Beach st, his son being top 100 recruit

Michael Lloyd- big time transfer and dynamic first year for us, lost eligibility which gave Z Sims his chance

Hey guys, this is Tim. I'm one of the co-hosts of the Locked On Syracuse podcast, but I'm also producing Devo's new pod. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. We got Coach Hop for the second episode and just recorded it. It was so awesome. Some interesting Syracuse stories and thoughts on why he switched to Washington. Should be out later on this week.

Devo's got some awesome guests lined up for the next couple episodes.
Thank you.

If you like some fireworks please schedule DeShaun Williams and Preston Shrumpert together. Time for some stories and make up hugs.

Dions a CHARACTER lol

One of my favorite SU players ever.

I was in line behind him at a concession stand waiting for nachos at the 2016 Final Four. Struck me as kind of funny. Here's an active NBA player and he's waiting in the same line as me as a random fan at a college bball game.

One of my favorite SU players ever.

I was in line behind him at a concession stand waiting for nachos at the 2016 Final Four. Struck me as kind of funny. Here's an active NBA player and he's waiting in the same line as me as a random fan at a college bball game.
I was on an airplane coming back from San Juan with Stephen Weber from Wings. And he wasn't the pilot.