DI Council endorses Transformation Committee concepts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DI Council endorses Transformation Committee concepts

Those who say free tuition, fees, room and board isn’t a big deal are not paying tuition, fees, room and board.

Tuition, fees, room and board for the fall semester at Syracuse was due on Friday.

It’s not pretty.
No one says that.

People say that getting free tuition may not be an equal transfer of value for football and men's hoops players who generate tens of millions of dollars for a school.

Of course, you can count on schools to take that concept and utterly -- it up. Hence the inane NIL situation we currently have.

End of the NCAA? How about the end of college sports. What coach would really want to work under those conditions? These are the members of that Transformation Council, of course headed by Commissioner, Greg Sankey of the SEC.
One that gets paid millions of dollars to do so?

Some already have quit - not the job they signed up for. Changing the rules and duties. Some were paid millions before these constant rule changes weren’t they?
Yep, you asked what coach would want to do this... new coaches that want to get paid millions will step in and coach if necessary. I don't believe they will have an issue filling these positions.

The ones that loose out on all of this is the fans.
I hope it works out for SU but no matter the outcome I will be there watching every SU game. Whether it is in a power conference or not.
I support the university. Not a particular player or conference. If you play for su I am there to cheer you on. If you move to a new school I do not wish I’ll will I am just not interested any more as a SU fan. Same for the conference.
Right now just getting excited for the new year of SU sports.

No one says that.

People say that getting free tuition may not be an equal transfer of value for football and men's hoops players who generate tens of millions of dollars for a school.

Of course, you can count on schools to take that concept and utterly -- it up. Hence the inane NIL situation we currently have.

Free tuition, fees, room and board at Syracuse is a BIG deal. I said it, so someone does say it whether you believe it or not. Once again, anyone who minimizes the value of a scholarship probably didn't pay tuition for a student at SU within the last week.

I also believe players should be able to capitalize on their name, image and likeness. And, I believe there should be other types of compensation for college athletes; health benefits that extend beyond a player's time in school is one. Many of the injuries sustained by players last for several years if not a lifetime.

And, yes, people do also say free tuition may not be an equal transfer of value for men's hoops and football. I also don't disagree with that statement. But most of those people don't mention that free tuition may exceed the value of other sports like soccer, track, softball etc... or that many college athletic departments actually lose money each year.

Anyone who thinks they thave a simple solution to this quandary, please share.

Yep, you asked what coach would want to do this... new coaches that want to get paid millions will step in and coach if necessary. I don't believe they will have an issue filling these positions.

I'm sure you realize most coaches don't make millions of dollars.

Maybe 2% - 3% of all the coaches in DI football make a seven-figure salary. And most of those who do have spent decades in the profession before they make this kind of money. Dino spent 30 years in the profession before he made more than $200K/yr.

More power to the coaches who make the big money and more power to players who can increase their compensation and benefits.

A rising tide lifts all boats.

I'm sure you realize most coaches don't make millions of dollars.

Maybe 2% - 3% of all the coaches in DI football make a seven-figure salary. And most of those who do have spent decades in the profession before they make this kind of money. Dino spent 30 years in the profession before he made more than $200K/yr.

More power to the coaches who make the big money and more power to players who can increase their compensation and benefits.

A rising tide lifts all boats.

Ok, great, you are missing the point, I guarantee you there will be people to fill these coaching positions. This is not the death of college football. College football how we liked it died 10+ years ago, some just didn’t notice it.

Definitely won’t have any problem at all…

NCAA makes decision on college football transfer portal for 2022​

James Parks - 2h ago

NCAA makes decision on college football transfer portal for 2022
College football may not see unrestricted free agency after all with the sport's power brokers deciding against another change to the transfer portal.
The NCAA is not expected to pass a rule allowing unlimited transfers with immediate eligibility, according to The Athletic.
That news comes after reports that the NCAA was looking at a new rule in which college athletes would be able to transfer as much as they want and still keep their immediate eligibility.
Last summer, the NCAA passed a rule that allowed an athlete a one-time, penalty-free transfer that removed the old sit-one-year requirement as long as it was their first transfer.
Now, the rule requires a player to sit out one year only after a second entrance into the transfer portal.

However, according to the Transfer Committee's reported recommendations, the NCAA could still allow players to transfer at will, provided they transfer within the group's proposed "transfer windows."

If passed, that rule would create two transfer portal windows in college football: 45 days "beginning the day following the championship selection," and a 15 day period in the first two weeks of May at the end of spring practice, a total of 60 days.
That said, those recommendations could be delayed if the board decides to send the entire transfer portal rule package back for further change and review.
When the NCAA changed the rules around the college football transfer portal and created one-time immediate eligibility, the result was a flurry of movement as more than 2,000 players switched schools last offseason.

Attachments

• 1659372817092.png
    1659372817092.png
    68 bytes · Views: 55

Division I Council modernizes rules for coaching limits​

Members also take action on transfer waivers, initial eligibility requirements​

The division I Council took steps to modernize a number of rules Wednesday, including approving adjustments to transfer waiver guidelines, modifying personnel rules across several sports and formally eliminating the requirement for standardized test scores in initial eligibility. The Council met as part of the 2023 NCAA Convention in San Antonio.
The Council also received the final report and recommendations from the Division I Transformation Committee, which reports to the Division I Board of Directors. The board is expected to take action on the Transformation Committee's recommendations during its meeting Thursday.
"The Council's actions today for coaching limits reflect the ongoing efforts within Division I to modernize NCAA rules," said Lynda Tealer, executive associate athletics director at Florida and chair of the Division I Council. "These changes will ease the burden on campus compliance staffs and increase the number of coaches who can assist with recruiting activities."
The Council's actions are not final until the conclusion of the Division I Board of Directors meeting.

Coaching limits​

The Council voted to eliminate the voluntary coach designation across Division I, instead including those coaches within a new limit for countable coaches in each of the applicable sports.
By adopting the proposal, the number of countable coaches in baseball, softball and ice hockey increased to four total in each sport. The Council rejected an additional increase to five countable coaches in those sports.
The Council supported an increase of two coaches in men's and women's basketball. These additional coaches may engage in coaching activities but may not recruit off campus. The rules change codified a waiver in those sports that allowed noncoaching staff members to engage in skill instruction. In both Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision football, the Council redefined graduate assistant positions to graduate student coaches and limited individuals to serving three years maximum in that role.
Men's and women's basketball opted not to impose the current seven-year window for manager positions to increase the opportunity for former student-athletes — who often compete professionally overseas immediately after college — to return to campus in pursuit of degree completion and to professionally develop as potential future coaches. In women's basketball specifically, the professional development of the manager position is considered an opportunity to increase the gender and racial diversity of the coaching ranks long-term, which is a specific objective of the sport's strategic plan.
The coaching limits rules take effect July 1.

Transfer waiver guidelines​

The Council voted unanimously to update guidelines for the waiver process for undergraduate student-athletes who are transferring for a second time.
Each waiver request will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, but moving forward, student-athletes must meet one of the following criteria to be granted a waiver to compete immediately:
  • A demonstrated physical injury or illness or mental health condition that necessitated the student's transfer (supporting documentation, care plans and proximity of the student's support system will be considered), or
  • Exigent circumstances that clearly necessitate a student-athlete's immediate departure from the previous school (e.g., physical assault or abuse, sexual assault) unrelated to the student-athlete's athletics participation.
All other guidelines will no longer be used for waiver requests to compete during championship seasons that first occur in 2023-24.
The Council agreed that athletics reasons (lack of playing time, position presence) and academic preferences should not warrant waiver relief.
The Council directed the Transfer Advisory Group to recommend changes to the transfer waiver process to manage situations that fall outside these guidelines.
For transfer student-athletes expected to meet the requirements for a limited transfer exception (discontinued sport, or non-scholarship exception) the Council voted to allow student-athletes to enter the Transfer Portal at any time instead of requiring them to use their respective sport's transfer window.

Standardized test requirements for initial eligibility​

The Council voted to eliminate test score requirements for immediate eligibility for incoming freshman student-athletes, at the recommendation from the NCAA Standardized Test Score Task Force. The task force was a specialized group charged with reviewing initial eligibility requirements as part of the NCAA's eight-point plan to advance racial equity.
"As some NCAA member schools shift away from requiring standardized test scores for general student admissions, the Council felt it was appropriate to reflect those admission standards in eligibility requirements for incoming freshman student-athletes," Tealer said.
Since 2020, NCAA Division I has waived standardized test requirements due to the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on the ability of prospects to take the test.

Stunt​

The Council referred a proposal that would add stunt to the Emerging Sports for Women program in Division I back to the Committee on Women's Athletics, which requested an opportunity to conduct additional diligence.

NCAA makes decision on college football transfer portal for 2022​

James Parks - 2h ago

NCAA makes decision on college football transfer portal for 2022
College football may not see unrestricted free agency after all with the sport's power brokers deciding against another change to the transfer portal.
The NCAA is not expected to pass a rule allowing unlimited transfers with immediate eligibility, according to The Athletic.
That news comes after reports that the NCAA was looking at a new rule in which college athletes would be able to transfer as much as they want and still keep their immediate eligibility.
Last summer, the NCAA passed a rule that allowed an athlete a one-time, penalty-free transfer that removed the old sit-one-year requirement as long as it was their first transfer.
Now, the rule requires a player to sit out one year only after a second entrance into the transfer portal.

However, according to the Transfer Committee's reported recommendations, the NCAA could still allow players to transfer at will, provided they transfer within the group's proposed "transfer windows."

If passed, that rule would create two transfer portal windows in college football: 45 days "beginning the day following the championship selection," and a 15 day period in the first two weeks of May at the end of spring practice, a total of 60 days.
That said, those recommendations could be delayed if the board decides to send the entire transfer portal rule package back for further change and review.
When the NCAA changed the rules around the college football transfer portal and created one-time immediate eligibility, the result was a flurry of movement as more than 2,000 players switched schools last offseason.
It’s those but’s and excepts that cause issues as in these phrases below:

just separate the athletes from the students at schools. at this point they are completely different animals.

If you want to be a real student, you are limited in your transferability. I think the NCAA, congress, whatever has to figure out this quasi employee/student fissure. If someone is moving around multiple times for sports that's great but that's not a real student. It's a frankensteinian version of a student-athlete.

We need to treat the athletes like the physical plant employees at a school. They are high functioning employees at this point. Otherwise it's all going to be muddied further

It’s those but’s and excepts that cause issues as in these phrases below:

That post is from August. Those are already the existing transfer portal windows for the one time free transfer for football and other Fall sports.

That’s just stupid.

I’m all for playing right away, but I would say it’s best to do just once.

The danger of super teams and a NBA like the champions are decided in July with FA moves nonsense needs to end.
Hmmm, we've got dudes driving pickups around the south and midwest filled with bags, shifting rosters that are difficult for fans to follow and staffs to manage, rampant tampering, brazen pay-for-play, and at least 2 of the nation's largest "amateur" FB conferences have become academic farces ... so how could we make this even uglier and more corrupt? ... Wait, I know ...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom