Dickie V, "Syracuse might be the best team | Syracusefan.com

Dickie V, "Syracuse might be the best team

Im not ready to make that statement until we show we can get at least marginally consistent low post scoring from someone.

Im not ready to make that statement until we show we can get at least marginally consistent low post scoring from someone.

Steve ... a little horse sense in the face of all the #2 euphoria.

Who else in America has the guard play Syracuse has? Coupled with the decent post defense that the team has?

N0t one team in America has both - great guard play and solid post play. Therefore, I really don't understand how SU is not the best team in Division I at this point in the season. I really don't, unless Arizona's win over Duke constitutes as a monumental win.

Which in my opinion does not. We shall see...

That line pretty much sums it up. I didn't think we'd get anywhere near the production from the guards that we have been, especially the scoring.

Have been missing your remarks, Townie.

Funny part is that when this team drops a few --- and that's coming --- the negativity will be as much out of balance as the current euphoria is.

Using Dukie V as a proof source for anything is absurd IMO. He's 90% "Schtick" and 10% insight. He's a flat out idiot, whose observations occur after the fact.

The inside game --- or lack of it --- is a serious flaw in this team. I'm sure Boeheim understands this and is trying to bring the team along.

When we get into ACC play, the ACC coaches --- no dummies --- are going to exploit any weakness they see. Right now what this team can't do is pretty obvious. But we'll take it and enjoy the sun with some of us knowing there is going to be some rain.

in the country. Never thought these guards would be this good this soon"

Neither did I.
Of course, and no one else did either. Except their parents maybe.

And that's because ...?

I still refuse to care about what Vitale says. He's a fool. Don't care how positive it is.

The inside game --- or lack of it --- is a serious flaw in this team. I'm sure Boeheim understands this and is trying to bring the team along.

When we get into ACC play, the ACC coaches --- no dummies --- are going to exploit any weakness they see. Right now what this team can't do is pretty obvious. But we'll take it and enjoy the sun with some of us knowing there is going to be some rain.

Yea its a real shame they don't have the same inside players that got them to a final four last year . . .

Come on guys, take it easy on Dicky V. Is he loud and obnoxious? Yes. But by literally all accounts he's an unbelievably friendly and charitable person - and without question there is no single person more important to the increase in popularity of college basketball over the past 30 years than him.

Who else in America has the guard play Syracuse has? Coupled with the decent post defense that the team has?

N0t one team in America has both - great guard play and solid post play. Therefore, I really don't understand how SU is not the best team in Division I at this point in the season. I really don't, unless Arizona's win over Duke constitutes as a monumental win.

Which in my opinion does not. We shall see...

Think about what you are saying. Do you really believe that? Does that make sense to you?

Are Cooney and Ennis the best guard tandem in College Basketball?

They have played very, very well. They have been a huge surprise. But when we get to the ACC schedule, the surprise will be over.

The polls do what the polls do. They are fundamentally-flawed.

In order for this team to be very good, our two best players --- Fair and Grant --- have to establish themselves in games. I really haven't seen that consistently.

That line pretty much sums it up. I didn't think we'd get anywhere near the production from the guards that we have been, especially the scoring.

Yeah I feel like before the season we were hoping the guards would be good enough to let the front line carry them. At least I was.

Yea its a real shame they don't have the same inside players that got them to a final four last year . . .

We got to the FF last year on the backs of Triche and MCW and a better CJ Fair. Triche and MCW got the ball to Fair in much better places. You don't see that this year consistently. Fair made a living last year when we needed a bucket coming around a pick just outside the foul line.

Christmas and Kieta are not top players. Fair and Grant (potentially) are the real horses and they shown flashes of that. This team's success --- or lack of it --- will be tied to these two guys. The surprising guard tandem needs to be the supporting cast, not the stars of the show.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with anyone, but how much "inside game" did we have last year, on a team that was a possession away from the nat champ game?

While your point is definitely valid, I'm not sure you can use how far a team goes in the NCAA tourney as an objective measure of how good a team was. For example, the 1996 team went to the title game, but I think we can rattle many SU teams that would be favored over them in a hypothetical matchup.

The NCAA tourney is just a crazy, unpredictable sh--show, which is why it's so captivating.

People are forgetting our team was dreadful until they pulled a historical defensive performance out of their behinds to get to the F4

Not to mention the Final Four is such a crap shoot that last year no one was even surprised a 9 seeded Wichita State made it to the Final Four.

We got to the FF last year on the backs of Triche and MCW and a better CJ Fair. Triche and MCW got the ball to Fair in much better places. You don't see that this year consistently. Fair made a living last year when we needed a bucket coming around a pick just outside the foul line.

Christmas and Kieta are not top players. Fair and Grant (potentially) are the real horses and they shown flashes of that. This team's success --- or lack of it --- will be tied to these two guys. The surprising guard tandem needs to be the supporting cast, not the stars of the show.

Comparing this team in December to last year's team in March is not a fair comparison or even a useful comparison.

When you compare this years team in December to last year's team in December you see that this year's team is better across the board.

It certainly does not mean they will go undefeated or even have post season success (where there is a large amount of luck involved) but it does mean they are among the best teams in the country right now, which is all anybody said.

Yeah I feel like before the season we were hoping the guards would be good enough to let the front line carry them. At least I was.

You must have missed the multiple posters saying they were glad MCW was gone so that Ennis could play. They're actually being surprisingly humble now.

Im admittedly surprised and still open minded enough to wonder if this is what we can expect game in and game out, or if this is something closer to a streak. I'm hoping it's the former, and if it is, we may as well ask the UK folks to donate the 40-0 shirts to us. If we still had our talented bigs coach, I wouldn't quibble with being mentioned in NC talk right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom