Dicky V with some Cuse love | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dicky V with some Cuse love

What makes him terrible is that he is not a straight shooter, and offers very little game insight. Every team, every player is a diaper dandy or PTPer incapable of poor play. It's ok to say Duke isn't very good right now Dick.

Duke is good though. they have lost to 2 top 5 teams both in close fashion.

Real talk... I was actually sad hearing Bobby Knight doing the games before Vitale stepped in to finish it out. Knight, when he first started doing basketball commentary I thought was insightful and great. Now, it's like he has no idea what the heck is going on. Shulman asked Bobby Knight if he agreed with taking a timeout in-between freethrows to ice the shooter, Knight literally had no idea how to respond to the question. It was as if he could not gather his thoughts to respond and probably took upwards of 30 seconds to get a non-response response out. It's honestly a shame.

its been all downhill since this

Vitale's the man. He does something he loves and takes huge, huge joy in it and life. We should all age so gracefully.

Compare him to that crank Billy Packer.

Or Mr Happy Jim B?

Knight is senile. There is no question about it. ESPN is not doing him any favors running him out there. If that was my dad making a fool out of himself...I would force their hand.

How much you want to bet that ESPN wants to dump him, but nobody has the cajones to actually go up to him and tell him...for fear of an old man "when animals attack" scene?

In Vitale's early years he was a lot more toned down and offered valuable insight on the game, the players, & strategy. Watch an old game on Classic & you may not even realize he's the announcer.
Somewhere along the line he realized that yelling & bringing more attention to himself, was more profitable than actually calling & concentrating on the game. He then went overboard...& the rest is history.
I find it impossible to listen to a game he broadcasts- it's now all about him & his schtick, not about the game itself.
It's tired...& played out. Been OVA for a loooong time for him. Hopefully at some point he & the network will admit it, & we'll finally have some peace & quiet to watch the GAME- which is all we want to do in the first place! JMHO

Last edited: