Did McDonough say that | Syracusefan.com

Did McDonough say that

Halfmooncuse

Hall of Fame
he saw DC 2 practice and that he was impressive? Do we have any real credible feedback on DC2 and whether he has progressed to be a possible major factor in next years team. I read the range of opinions from McDonoughs to ones where people are worried he may never play again.

DC2 will be great next year as long as he can use that move that Meeks did last night without getting called for an offensive foul. :D

In reality we don't know. If he's slimmer it should help him on D as well as getting off the floor. He always had the post moves and skills he just struggled to adjust to using them against D1 bigs and brought the ball down too much. I don't think he was as far away as some people think he was offensively. He has had a lot of time off though and I worry about the knee holding up more than I do about him being ready for next season.

DC2 will be great next year as long as he can use that move that Meeks did last night without getting called for an offensive foul. :D

In reality we don't know. If he's slimmer it should help him on D as well as getting off the floor. He always had the post moves and skills he just struggled to adjust to using them against D1 bigs and brought the ball down too much. I don't think he was as far away as some people think he was offensively. He has had a lot of time off though and I worry about the knee holding up more than I do about him being ready for next season.

Would love to hear from people who see practice on his knee.

Yeah. Holy crap. Meeks just pushed Christmas out of the way. I know big men typically don't fall in trying to draw the offensive but I think Christmas should have tried in this case though it still may not have been called. Christmas didn't stand his ground but instead moved back...step by step. He's gotta claim the space.

xc84 said:
Yeah. Holy crap. Meeks just pushed Christmas out of the way. I know big men typically don't fall in trying to draw the offensive but I think Christmas should have tried in this case though it still may not have been called. Christmas didn't stand his ground but instead moved back...step by step. He's gotta claim the space.

It's UNC. Tradition can knock people over without fouling.

It's UNC. Tradition can knock people over without fouling.

I don't have an issue with the offensive post player creating some contact on his move but that whole move was about gaining the advantage by pushing the defensive player who had position out of the way. That is the very definition of an offensive foul, initiating contact on a defender in legal guarding position in such a way to gain an advantage.

I also thought the refs called 2 games last night between the 1st and 2nd halves.

Agreed I hate when they change up how they call things from one half to the other.

I don't have an issue with the offensive post player creating some contact on his move but that whole move about gaining the advantage by pushing the defensive player who had position out of the way. That is the very definition of an offensive foul, initiating contact on a defender in legal guarding position in such a way to gain an advantage.
Agree...and it is when the art of drawing an offensive foul (i.e. make sure the ref has to call it) comes in handy. When Rak just backed up, even though it was a foul, it won't be called.

Agree...and it is when the art of drawing an offensive foul (i.e. make sure the ref has to call it) comes in handy. When Rak just backed up, even though it was a foul, it won't be called.

Its sad that you have to fall or flail to get this call. I'd rather see these type of offensive fouls called game after game than all the charges they have called over the years. The charges it usually seems like the offensive player is making a legit basketball play and attempt to get to the basket while the defensive player is just getting in the way rather than defending. College bball reffing is so screwed up its amazing.

Its sad that you have to fall or flail to get this call. I'd rather see these type of offensive fouls called game after game than all the charges they have called over the years. The charges it usually seems like the offensive player is making a legit basketball play and attempt to get to the basket while the defensive player is just getting in the way rather than defending. College bball reffing is so screwed up its amazing.

Someone is going to flop under the basket and end up breaking their neck before this gets changed. It's completely messed up.

Agree...Meeks could easily have been called a few times when he was throwing his immense weight around out there...need to take the fall if your Christmas.

I think it was Brad Daugherty who said D2 was going almost full speed in practice and looked good.

he saw DC 2 practice and that he was impressive? Do we have any real credible feedback on DC2 and whether he has progressed to be a possible major factor in next years team. I read the range of opinions from McDonoughs to ones where people are worried he may never play again.

I've always believed that if a player had good defensive position, he would be less likely to be knocked off his feet my contact. A guy who makes contact trying to get into position is the one who would go flying, (and thus would be the one who should be called for the foul).

I also think that Rakeem has become a worse defensive player because we's become such a good offensive player and his presence on the court is thus so vital to the team. He tries to avoid fouls because he's irreplaceable. When he shared the position with Keita, they were interchangable, 10 fouls for JB to use. But there's such a gap between him and Obokoh offensively, he's got to play in such a way that he stays in the game and against teams with good big men, he's probably giving up nearly as much on the defensive end as he scores on the offensive end.

Rak's definitely given up some of his defense for his offense

Fab Melo would have had a field day flopping last night. Christmas just doesn't have that in him...

And although it would have helped us I'm glad we have a guy who doesn't want to flop. The fact that you should have to fall down to get that call tells you all you need to know about the state of college officiating.

Rak's definitely given up some of his defense for his offense

Not so much for his offense but just to stay on the court. There are times where he stands with his hand up on shots he usually would swat because he's just not going to commit a foul.

Not so much for his offense but just to stay on the court. There are times where he stands with his hand up on shots he usually would swat because he's just not going to commit a foul.
yeah i guess by "offense" I meant to stay on the court, so that he could keep scoring points

I've always believed that if a player had good defensive position, he would be less likely to be knocked off his feet my contact. A guy who makes contact trying to get into position is the one who would go flying, (and thus would be the one who should be called for the foul).

I also think that Rakeem has become a worse defensive player because we's become such a good offensive player and his presence on the court is thus so vital to the team. He tries to avoid fouls because he's irreplaceable. When he shared the position with Keita, they were interchangable, 10 fouls for JB to use. But there's such a gap between him and Obokoh offensively, he's got to play in such a way that he stays in the game and against teams with good big men, he's probably giving up nearly as much on the defensive end as he scores on the offensive end.
When Meeks pushes you, you are going to move. He was a bull. On D in tight quarters like that, it's a matter of either keeping your feet stationary (claiming your rights) and falling or just backing up after being pushed. If you back up, they ain't gonna call it. Both situations represent an offensive foul though.

And although it would have helped us I'm glad we have a guy who doesn't want to flop. The fact that you should have to fall down to get that call tells you all you need to know about the state of college officiating.

I'm not advocating that, just pointing out an obvious difference in the two players' styles. And you are right, it does illustrate something fundamentally wrong with refereeing in college basketball when the guy who purposefully falls down gets rewarded but the guy who holds his ground gets punished.

Posted in another thread and not singling out the refs last night but I agree completely. Play exactly the same position D in the post, offensive player initiates contact - stand your ground and play tough D and no call, flop and it's an offensive foul every time.

I think it was Brad Daugherty who said D2 was going almost full speed in practice and looked good.

McCallister has an article today on S C O U T where he interviewed Coleman. He is practicing up to four days in a row and feels a lot better. Thinks he will be 100 percent soon. Said he wished he could of went in during the BC game when Roc was in foul trouble. He anticipates being the starting 5 next year according to the article.

Hell Meeks bumped into Rak at one point last night pushing Rak back 3 feet and Rak was called for the foul.

When Meeks pushes you, you are going to move. He was a bull. On D in tight quarters like that, it's a matter of either keeping your feet stationary (claiming your rights) and falling or just backing up after being pushed. If you back up, they ain't gonna call it. Both situations represent an offensive foul though.

Hasn't he always looked good in practice? It's the game where he can never get anything going.