Did Pitt hire GRob as head coach? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Did Pitt hire GRob as head coach?

Couldn't seem to get better than 5-2 in conference play, which wasn't getting them into the BCS Bowl. They wanted to do better, but hired the wrong guy, who beat up his wife, and then hired the wrong guy to replace the wrong guy. One could argue the decision to fire Wanny was the bad decision, but that's hindsight when the next guy ends up worse. I would say the bad decision was the head coach they picked.

I'm sure West Virginia isn't too upset about how they handled the exact same situation...a mere 75 miles away.

I remember reading a post saying that someone had spotted Wannstadt drunk in a bar after he got fired. If true I wonder if that was just a reaction to his firing or perhaps a cause.

Wannstadt has always produced less than people thought he would at any head coaching job he has had, (Bears, Dolphins, Pitt). He's just not a good offesnive coach. Probably he's better off just as a DC.

Cinci looks good...

Is Cinci that good? Or is Pitt that bad?

Pitt lost to Youngstown State, who is a good D-1AA team but just that - a 1-AA team. Didn't just lose on a last-second field goal, but lost by 14 points. Pitt is bad.

It will be interesting to see what we do against Stony Brook. YSU and SBU are similar teams in terms of 1-AA ranking.

Yeah, but some of the trolls on here say he can't do anything right. Even if we don't have a winning season (which I think we will) Nassib will end up playing on Sunday. Even if it is as a back up at first. The boy seems to learn the game and get better every year.

Pitt really reminds me of GRob era football. Team quits by the 3rd qtr and the opponent can pretty much run & pass at will.

Sad to watch really...

Pitt is a perfect example why we need to stay the course with Marrone, we're finally getting some div 1 players,change now and set program back 2 yrs. We are not ,never have been the type of program, where we can hire and change the program in 2or 3 yrs.

Cinci looks good...

Is Cinci that good? Or is Pitt that bad?
Clearly its little of both. Pitt is bad but Cincy is taking advantage of that. There is no doubt that Cincy has some playmakers on both sides. Not sure how strong UC's Oline is but Alex Stewart may be 1st team all BE at DE. I think Munchie is going to be explosive but inconsistent.

Looks like one of P's no talent blowouts.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Surprised. Pitt has eight new starters on defense.

I still think it was huge mistake to fire Wannstedt.

Didn't you express a few weeks ago that you expected Pitt to be one of the top teams in the Big East?

Oops.

Didn't you express a few weeks ago that you expected Pitt to be one of the top teams in the Big East?

Oops.

If we lose to them you can set your watch to the "they're more talented than us" post that will be forthcoming.

If we lose to them you can set your watch to the "they're more talented than us" post that will be forthcoming.

When we beat them, you can set your watch to the "I told you so" post that will be forthcoming from me.

Cincy has talent, but Munchie doesn't scare me. I feel like if you get any pressure on him and keep him from breaking contain, he's pedestrian at best. Plus his release time makes Tebow chuckle.

That's too damn funny, I just landed and I stopped for a couple of decompressing pops and that's exactly what I said after watching the first four possessions of that game, "what the hell, did Pitt hire Robinson?"

quick fix syndrome, attraction to bright, shiny, objects. Like a 1 year old to a stainless steel butcher knife

Oops.

Well, I think I figured the BE would shake out as follows: (1) Louisville; (2) Rutgers; (3) Cincy; (4) USF or Pitt.

Something like that.

So, no, I didn't pick Pitt to be one of the top teams.

I have to admit, though, I didn't realize that the Panthers had lost so many athletes on defense.

Oh Scooch, where's the love?

By the way, it actually would be "they're more talented than we are." If you're going to take a cheap shot at somebody at least use proper grammar.

And Scooch, you're certainly not suggesting are you that under Wannstedt the Panthers didn't have more talent than the Orange?

Are you?

And are you suggesting that last year the Orange had more talent than USF, Rutgers, Cincy, Louisville?

Apparently Pitt lost eight starters on defense after the 2011 season. Do you think that has had something to do with their they're 2012 start? Could it be that they are not as talented as they were last year? Oh my.

Todd Graham set that program back 3 years. Alienated a lot of local coached, purged the grind it out player on the roster for his "high octane" offense. Too much turnover there for this team to overcome this year.

Firing Wannestedt alienated a lot of local coaches.

That was a dumb move in my opinion.

Firing Wannestedt alienated a lot of local coaches.

That was a dumb move in my opinion.

Quick fix will bite you in the ass almost everytime regardless of what business. Like the guy who wants to lose weight by popping some pill as opposed to proper diet and and consistent excercise. Pitt has been caught popping pills

Oh Scooch, where's the love?

By the way, it actually would be "they're more talented than we are." If you're going to take a cheap shot at somebody at least use proper grammar.

And Scooch, you're certainly not suggesting are you that under Wannstedt the Panthers didn't have more talent than the Orange?

Are you?

And are you suggesting that last year the Orange had more talent than USF, Rutgers, Cincy, Louisville?

Apparently Pitt lost eight starters on defense after the 2011 season. Do you think that has had something to do with their they're 2012 start? Could it be that they are not as talented as they were last year? Oh my.

I think your narratives change frequently to suit whatever point you're trying to make.

It's OK.

I see no reason to point out how bad Pittsburgh is until after we've beaten them.

Seems like it's been too easy to take notice of Pittsburgh's and UConn's miserable early play the last two seasons, only to see them improve and us come up way short when we meet them. I'm not counting those chickens just yet.

Likewise.

:D

Oh, I'm sorry, let me try to do better.

Your complaint that I alter my opinions depending upon the situation is I think untrue.

In fact, most on this board would agree - as you apparently agree - that I consistently argue that when it comes to winning college football games, the key determining factor is talent - more so than coaching. Many disagree with that idea - I guess you're one of them - but most would agree that that is how I see things.

In fact, your original post - the cheap shot with the poor grammar - takes that position - that I can be relied upon to argue that talent is normally the determining factor.

In response to my observation about the 2012 Pitt squad - that the team is playing with eight new starters on defense, thereby explaining from a talent standpoint why the Panthers are having trouble defending right now - your offer up the curious allegation that my "narratives change frequently to suit whatever point" I am trying to make. And, my reference to Wannstedt was not made in terms of his coaching ability on the field. It referred to his ability to recruit western PA. During his time at Pitt he recruited very well - he gathered a lot of talent. He was never able to recruit a QB and that's why though he won a lot of games he was never able to get over the hump. The mistake was in firing him because he was accumulating a lot of talent - it was only a matter of time before he finally got a QB. The changing of coaches - three in three years - has hurt recruiting and has alienated the western PA coaches. And that has impacted Pitt's talent level from what I can gather.

So, it seems fairly clear that your second post is contrary to your "cheap shot post."

And, it seems that you really didn't have anything of substance to offer, but just wanted to throw a cheap shot.

Hopefully that clarifies things for you. Keep plugging.

Oh, I'm sorry, let me try to do better.

Your complaint that I alter my opinions depending upon the situation is I think untrue...

I didn't say you change your opinions, I said you change your narrative.

nar·ra·tive
noun
a story or account of events, experiences, or the like, whether true or fictitious.

o·pin·ion
noun
a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

I see no reason to point out how bad Pittsburgh is until after we've beaten them.

Seems like it's been too easy to take notice of Pittsburgh's and UConn's miserable early play the last two seasons, only to see them improve and us come up way short when we meet them. I'm not counting those chickens just yet.

If we're not counting those chickens this year, with both at home on Friday night, then I'm not sure we'll ever be under this regime. So we might as well plan ahead to start counting now. I know I am. Losing those games just can't happen this particular season.

We have to get back to winning all home games, and go at least .500 on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom