Did Roberson sleep with Laurie Fine or something? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Did Roberson sleep with Laurie Fine or something?

In games against decent teams, other than Lydon today and Coleman against UConn, basically everybody has played below expectations this year.

I wouldn't have a problem with Roberson sitting if others were playing great and taking his spot.

As it stands, I'd like to see something like: PF - Lydon 25 min, Roberson 15 min. C - Coleman 15 min, Thompson 15 min, Lydon 10 min.
generally agree, but Robey is in there and needed for essentially one thing - hitting the glass... and he has not been hitting the glass

i don't judge a player on 6 minutes PT. there are 2 full seasons of stats where he's proved he's among the best in conference.
Roberson has been awful. He shows little to no interest in getting better. He has got more playing time than his effort has deserved.

just so we're clear. roberson played 6 minutes today.fact. we got killed on the boards again . fact. recipe for success... not.

factor in his numbers versus minutes played. surprise!

our can't sit superstar lydon scores .37 points per minute and grabs .23 boards.
mr dog house scores .35ppm and gets .25 boards. now factor in how hard it is to get into the flow coming off the bench and playing sparingly.
you never get to develop any rhythm before it's back to the pines.
You think Roberson is better than Lydon? You think Roberson has played better than Lydon?

educate yourself and read above post on production per minute and get back to me.

educate yourself and read above post on production per minute and get back to me.[/QUOTE
You have to know that is utter nonsense. If you score a hoop in 3 minutes of play, you look good using that method. Roberson is terrible. If he could play, he would be playing. There is nothing personal in the decision not to play him. And if you are serious and think he is better or in the same league as a player as Lydon, then you are lost. There is no comparison.

what you can't measure a player by court time ? you want roberson to put up numbers from the bench ? if anything i'd say his numbers increase with playing time. anyone who's played knows you need time to get into game flow. he's posted top 10 rebounding numbers in the toughest conference in the country. he's sat out over two thirds of the last 6 games and we suck. defend that ! 2-4 with wins over wimps and killed on the glass. that's what i see.

what you can't measure a player by court time ? you want roberson to put up numbers from the bench ? if anything i'd say his numbers increase with playing time. anyone who's played knows you need time to get into game flow. he's posted top 10 rebounding numbers in the toughest conference in the country. he's sat out over two thirds of the last 6 games and we suck. defend that ! 2-4 with wins over wimps and killed on the glass. that's what i see.
Oh, you see what is happening. The problem is that Roberson terrible play is what is leading to that because when he does play, he sucks. And of course you can't use pts per minute. Using that you could come up with a walk on being the best player on the team. Roberson's play has been to be kind, uninspired. Our play as a team is so bad right now, and the fact that the guy that sees him everyday in practice, sees that he doesn't help us. And once again, if you watch a game and think that Roberson is a better player than Lydon, watch the game again.

any walk ons logged 180 minutes ? this formula JB has devised doesn't work. roberson was a big part of the final 4 run. another FACT !

it's really something how dense you're being with this Roberson thing. good lord. he's sucked and he hasn't played because of it.

well I give you all these numbers and facts and you just keep giving me your gut feelings. which mean nothing. back it up.

Last edited:
generally agree, but Robey is in there and needed for essentially one thing - hitting the glass... and he has not been hitting the glass
Roberson was never more than a solid defensive rebounder. When he was putting up sick rebounding numbers in past years, he was pulling down a shitload off the offensive glass. He's not doing that anymore, for whatever reason. Maybe the fire isn't there, maybe too many of our misses are coming back long and he's not in position to grab them. Who knows? And apart from a few good scoring games against cupcakes, he's basically been a non-factor this year in the half court offense. So he's earned his spot on the bench, IMO.

That said, I fully expect to see him have some big games against good teams down the road, when JB has no choice but to turn to him. But the guy can no longer be counted on, and that's disappointing because I really like the kid.

Title made me laugh lol. In all seriousness, and I noticed this his freshman year -- he may be the stiffest, non-fluid player I can remember in Orange. He is 6-8, so maybe a tad smaller than some of the higher caliber PFs he is going against but has a natural jumping spring that is uncanny. Unfortunately he is one dimensional -- a very stiff rebounder who has not been rebounding. If he's not rebounding there is nothing he can do out there to help the team.

Think about how fluid Grant was compared to him. Almost the same size, both with hops -- but Grant was a fluid player. Roberson, who I have rooted for since day one, seems c3p0 stiff out there playing, like the game never really slowed down for him in all 4 years here.

Been saying exactly this for years. for someone as athletic as he is, he's insanely non-fluid.

any walk ons logged 180 minutes ? this formula JB has devised doesn't work. roberson was a big part of the final 4 run. another FACT !
Robey was a piece in a team that was strong defensively and had just enough offense. This year, we have no identity, and how this team is built, it is more likely that our offense becomes our strong suit than our defense.

AW3 is going to get 35mpg+ and Lydon is our best player - those our 2 wing players, period. If AW3 was better at the top of the zone I suspect Robey would get more PT, but AW3 isn't. Robey's best hope is JB sticks with Lydon at C

Robey was a piece in a team that was strong defensively and had just enough offense. This year, we have no identity, and how this team is built, it is more likely that our offense becomes our strong suit than our defense.

AW3 is going to get 35mpg+ and Lydon is our best player - those our 2 wing players, period. If AW3 was better at the top of the zone I suspect Robey would get more PT, but AW3 isn't. Robey's best hope is JB sticks with Lydon at C

I honestly feel bad for Roberson.

I get that he's frustrating from a fan perspective, but he is a thoughtful, intelligent kid. Sucks that his senior year is going this way. And I don't absolve his play--he hasn't been very good [which is true of several of our players, unfortunately]. But Roberson got off to a very solid start--would have liked to see him end his career on a high note.

I honestly feel bad for Roberson.

I get that he's frustrating from a fan perspective, but he is a thoughtful, intelligent kid. Sucks that his senior year is going this way. And I don't absolve his play--he hasn't been very good [which is true of several of our players, unfortunately]. But Roberson got off to a very solid start--would have liked to see him end his career on a high note.
How much to attribute to it being his own doing though? I'm with you, I'm a huge TR fan and thought he'd have a massive year. But his game hasn't seemed to progress in 4 years and he relies on being a big time athlete to contribute. Maybe he's just an athlete playing basketball. I'm sure he's busted his a** to improve every off-season, but man, it just has never clicked with him.

How much to attribute to it being his own doing though? I'm with you, I'm a huge TR fan and thought he'd have a massive year. But his game hasn't seemed to progress in 4 years and he relies on being a big time athlete to contribute. Maybe he's just an athlete playing basketball. I'm sure he's busted his a** to improve every off-season, but man, it just has never clicked with him.

The issue with Roberson is that he just. Can't. Make. Shots. He's also poor defensively, and not a shotblocker. Stud rebounder, obviously. I agree that it just hasn't clicked. Can't apologize for ineffectual play. Wish he was more like that kid from Duke, who is a good comparison for him, in terms of capabilities.

The issue with Roberson is that he just. Can't. Make. Shots. He's also poor defensively, and not a shotblocker. Stud rebounder, obviously. I agree that it just hasn't clicked. Can't apologize for ineffectual play. Wish he was more like that kid from Duke, who is a good comparison for him, in terms of capabilities.
and he's just so tantalizing/frustrating, though - because he has shown games/flashes where he is a legit offensive (and adequate defensive) player when fully engaged

Roberson is sulking over losing his starting spot and his reduction in minutes. He's hurting himself with his attitude. But aside from that, Roberson's game does not fit well with this team and he fit very well last year. Last year he was on the court with 4 scorers and four 3 point shooters. He didn't need to score and that team could "carry" a non scorer as long as he hit the glass. This year's team struggles to score. Howard doesn't score and Coleman doesn't score much. When Roberson is in it's just another guy who can't score and it's even easier to defend the 2 remaining scorers (Lydon and White). When JB puts Roberson in with Coleman and Howard it's an automatic scoring drought.

Roberson is sulking over losing his starting spot and his reduction in minutes. He's hurting himself with his attitude. But aside from that, Roberson's game does not fit well with this team and he fit very well last year. Last year he was on the court with 4 scorers and four 3 point shooters. He didn't need to score and that team could "carry" a non scorer as long as he hit the glass. This year's team struggles to score. Howard doesn't score and Coleman doesn't score much. When Roberson is in it's just another guy who can't score and it's even easier to defend the 2 remaining scorers (Lydon and White). When JB puts Roberson in with Coleman and Howard it's an automatic scoring drought.
eh somewhat agree with this but last year's team struggled to score as much as (or even more than) this year... but def agree about Roberson/Coleman on the floor together - pretty much can't happen without serious scoring issues... but with lydon or TT at the 5 Robey can fit in fine - IF he's plugged in and engaged

eh somewhat agree with this but last year's team struggled to score as much as (or even more than) this year... but def agree about Roberson/Coleman on the floor together - pretty much can't happen without serious scoring issues... but with lydon or TT at the 5 Robey can fit in fine - IF he's plugged in and engaged

That was one of the many dynamics that SUCKED about our initial starting lineup. Two generally non-scorers that clog the lane. Lydon playing out of position at 3, with virtually zero ball handling / passing capabilities. White playing out of position at 2, with virtually zero ball handling / passing capabilities. It was a personnel grouping that just had very little complimentary juju.

That was one of the many dynamics that SUCKED about our initial starting lineup. Two generally non-scorers that clog the lane. Lydon playing out of position at 3, with virtually zero ball handling / passing capabilities. White playing out of position at 2, with virtually zero ball handling / passing capabilities. It was a personnel grouping that just had very little complimentary juju.
definitely agree - but somehow we've seemingly regressed since shuffling out of that starting lineup

definitely agree - but somehow we've seemingly regressed since shuffling out of that starting lineup

If you look at the pieces of the puzzle, the elements / ingredients are there:
  • Lydon is a terrific player, who can shoot
  • White is a shooter
  • Thompson has a lot of scoring potential
  • Coleman has good complimentary inside skills, and is an experienced big
  • Roberson is a stud rebounder
What's really holding this team back is the backcourt play, which is what's most important in college basketball. You and I are on different sides of the PG issue, so not going to delve into that rabbit hole here. But we really need more from Battle [understand that he was hurt this week, so I don't blame him for today].

Backcourt needs to improve, bottom line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom