Did Syracuse offer Jamal Murray a scholarship? | Syracusefan.com

Did Syracuse offer Jamal Murray a scholarship?

Alsacs

Living Legend
Watching this game Vandy-Kentucky it just appears Murray is going to be a stud NBA 2 guard. He can shoot and drive.

I have heard recently on the board Syracuse/JB backed off the kid after Ennis left early. Is that true? Could we have gotten him over Kentucky or did UK's cap space make any other school a non-factor for Murray?

It wasn't going to happen. As you can see he wasn't going to start from Day 1 with MG and TC ahead of him, plus being seniors it was going to happen. Also UK opened up the pocket book as well to seal the deal as they still were under the cap.

lol...It would be World War 3 on the forum if he came here. JB did us a favor if he didn't recruit him!

It would be nice if Syracuse had more of a foothold in Toronto -- so much talent coming from there. Has to be amongst the cities that has produced the most NCAA talent the last 5-6 years.

It would be nice if Syracuse had more of a foothold in Toronto -- so much talent coming from there. Has to be amongst the cities that has produced the most NCAA talent the last 5-6 years.
Toronto is blowing up in the hoops/hip hop scene.

They were snorting hot under Ford.

I do believe SU has a good rep with Ennis' step-dad and the Team Bounce (?) AAU team. Murray reclassified once it was clear Kentucky was losing all of their 2s.

Also Briscoe is the UK guy that Syracuse seemed to be an early leader.

Briscoe looks totally pedestrian compared to Murray. Briscoe doesn't even look like he deserved such a high ranking. He looks a bit heavy to me and a less athletic version of a young Triche.

Watching this game Vandy-Kentucky it just appears Murray is going to be a stud NBA 2 guard. He can shoot and drive.

I have heard recently on the board Syracuse/JB backed off the kid after Ennis left early. Is that true? Could we have gotten him over Kentucky or did UK's cap space make any other school a non-factor for Murray?
As the leader, chief, captain, etc of the Murray bandwagon. All I know is that if SU wanted him, they could have had him wayyy before any reclassification took place. JB just never seemed to have been a fan and the staff felt they were in good shape with Battle for a while. Battle had received an offer even before he had played a high school game. Still though like most who I had chatted with on the recruiting side, we never saw much of a difference between Murray/Battle for the staff to not have even toss out an offer to Murray and just take whoever committed first. If Murray played for us this year, then he would've been in the Dion role. Cooney would get the courtesy start, but no doubt Murray would have logged the majority of the minutes and close the show.

As the leader, chief, captain, etc of the Murray bandwagon. All I know is that if SU wanted him, they could have had him wayyy before any reclassification took place. JB just never seemed to have been a fan and the staff felt they were in good shape with Battle for a while. Battle had received an offer even before he had played a high school game. Still though like most who I had chatted with on the recruiting side, we never saw much of a difference between Murray/Battle for the staff to not have even toss out an offer to Murray and just take whoever committed first. If Murray played for us this year, then he would've been in the Dion role. Cooney would get the courtesy start, but no doubt Murray would have logged the majority of the minutes and close the show.
Man, some of these recruiting decisions we've made lately got me scratching my head. This year and next years (+Chukwu) look great but we've spazzed out on a few guys it seems.

Of course I'm saying all of this in hindsight.

If Battle is 80% the player Murray is then we will have a special talent. Murray looks like Ray Allen out there. Any shot he takes I expect him to make.

Disappointing if JB wasn't a fan.

Considering we almost lost Battle to Michigan this could have been very bad then, eh?