Did Tyus Battle, others make right decision to return after 2018 combine? | Syracusefan.com

Did Tyus Battle, others make right decision to return after 2018 combine?

There is no easy answer to this. It just depends on whether the player is going to make some significant improvements. Had Battle known that his skillset would not improve all that significantly, then he should have left last year. However, like most players, he expected to improve more and it didn't help that our PG play was very unsteady this year. Like Battle, if Oshae isn't going to improve much, then he should leave now too. You just don't know.

There is no easy answer to this. It just depends on whether the player is going to make some significant improvements. Had Battle known that his skillset would not improve all that significantly, then he should have left last year. However, like most players, he expected to improve more and it didn't help that our PG play was very unsteady this year. Like Battle, if Oshae isn't going to improve much, then he should leave now too. You just don't know.

I don't think that the choice is "improve or leave."

Many players don't have NBA potential, and never will -- that's just the way it is. Leaving to enhance your NBA chances when you aren't an NBA prospect doesn't accomplish much.

I fully understand that he will have other professional opportunities awaiting him. If that's his goal, then he could leave at any time to begin earning $$$.

But if his goal is to make the NBA, and he isn't considered draftable, then it might not make sense to leave.

He should have left last year(17-18), like Filepe Lopez should have after the 94-95 season. Hence why I think Brisett should leave now.

I don't think that the choice is "improve or leave."

Many players don't have NBA potential, and never will -- that's just the way it is. Leaving to enhance your NBA chances when you aren't an NBA prospect doesn't accomplish much.

I fully understand that he will have other professional opportunities awaiting him. If that's his goal, then he could leave at any time to begin earning $$$.

But if his goal is to make the NBA, and he isn't considered draftable, then it might not make sense to leave.

Going back to Battle, he would have been better off leaving last year. However, he didn't know that he wouldn't improve much and he was obviously betting that he would. Take Ennis... he left at the right time because his draft status would have likely stayed the same or gone down. Ennis was hyped a bit and I believe was not going to show better to the nba by coming back.

He should have left last year(17-18), like Filepe Lopez should have after the 94-95 season. Hence why I think Brisett should leave now.
And like what happened with CJ Fair. I often wonder if he regrets coming back for his senior season rather than going when there was more buzz after his junior year.

Going back to Battle, he would have been better off leaving last year. However, he didn't know that he wouldn't improve much and he was obviously betting that he would. Take Ennis... he left at the right time because his draft status would have likely stayed the same or gone down. Ennis was hyped a bit and I believe was not going to show better to the nba by coming back.

Battle was one of my favorite players in recent memory. He always played hard, carried his teams the last two season, never got in trouble and took his academics seriously. By all accounts, he and his family are people that value education. Tyus came back to Syracuse to to finish his degree and continue to work on his game. Battle will play professionally whether it is in the G-League or Europe. He would have been a late 2nd round pick last year but in all likely hood would not have made an NBA roster. I for one do not think Battle made the wrong choice to return and earn a degree. He is a good kid that will be successful at life. Success and failure shouldn't be viewed strictly through the prism of the NBA draft.

I'm certainly not implying that he failed. He just didn't improve like he needed after coming back for another season. The reality though is that his draft status is worse now than it was last season. No way he expected that, obviously. CJ Fair was another situation similar. Sometimes it works coming back for another season, sometimes it doesn't. As for education, that's all good but the NBA was and is a higher priority. It's hard to argue that when he would have left last year had his draft status been better. That said, I'm a big Battle fan and wish him nothing but the best. I hate to see when guys come back for another season and not get rewarded (from an NBA standpoint).

If I was in his exact situation, I would be beyond ready to start earning a paycheck playing basketball, and if that means Europe, that sounds awesome to me.

Why would you leave if your not going to get drafted? Lopez was a first round pick.

If he was going to leave, based upon this year, then last year was when he should have left.

I may be showing my age here but didn’t returning this year enable him to graduate? I don’t think returning affected his nba dreams much.

I may be showing my age here but didn’t returning this year enable him to graduate? I don’t think returning affected his nba dreams much.
That's the point.

Battle was one of my favorite players in recent memory. He always played hard, carried his teams the last two season, never got in trouble and took his academics seriously. By all accounts, he and his family are people that value education. Tyus came back to Syracuse to to finish his degree and continue to work on his game. Battle will play professionally whether it is in the G-League or Europe. He would have been a late 2nd round pick last year but in all likely hood would not have made an NBA roster. I for one do not think Battle made the wrong choice to return and earn a degree. He is a good kid that will be successful at life. Success and failure shouldn't be viewed strictly through the prism of the NBA draft.

100 percent agree with that last sentence. It is funny that doesn’t apply to those who leave early or don’t come to SU at all like Bazley though

all this shows is that someone who cant get drafted this year might have been drafted last yr and why does the NBA keep doing it this way.

as great as he was at helping SU why did anyone think he was an NBA player?

He did not graduate and that wasn’t the intention. He got a lot closer but is still a couple courses short.

He did not graduate and that wasn’t the intention. He got a lot closer but is still a couple courses short.

You make that sound like a negative.

How many students graduate college in 3 years?
Now - how many P5 student-athletes graduate in 3 years??

Him coming within a course or 2 (or whatever it is) of graduating in 3 years, while also playing P5 hoops at the very highest level, is a remarkable, commendable achievement.

Naturally, the #1 reason he came back, was to try to improve his game and draft stock.
That doesn't mean that reason 1b wasn't to get as close to graduating as possible.
He's said in several interviews that getting his degree was important to him - and clearly, given how close he already is, that is true.

You make that sound like a negative.

How many students graduate college in 3 years?
Now - how many P5 student-athletes graduate in 3 years??

Him coming within a course or 2 (or whatever it is) of graduating in 3 years, while also playing P5 hoops at the very highest level, is a remarkable, commendable achievement.

Naturally, the #1 reason he came back, was to try to improve his game and draft stock.
That doesn't mean that reason 1b wasn't to get as close to graduating as possible.
He's said in several interviews that getting his degree was important to him - and clearly, given how close he already is, that is true.

how's it negative? I just responded to someone who thought he had graduated. anyone graduating in 3 years or getting real close should be commended. but that wasn't the comment I responded to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom