Did we do something different in 2nd half? | Syracusefan.com

Did we do something different in 2nd half?

florange44

Scout Team
I just noticed the rushing stats for Liberty. 1st half 258 yds. 2nd half 80 yards. Did we do something to cause that? Maybe it was just Trill playing?

If so, doesn’t it stand that we’d have been fine on defense if we had Trill, Coley, Cisco?

Can’t explain the offensive issues, but maybe our D will be ok eventually.

I just noticed the rushing stats for Liberty. 1st half 258 yds. 2nd half 80 yards. Did we do something to cause that? Maybe it was just Trill playing?

If so, doesn’t it stand that we’d have been fine on defense if we had Trill, Coley, Cisco?

So, the obvious question is why didn't they make whatever change they made on the fly in the first half?

Trill was a huge help and the LBers seemed to hold gap integrity better in the 2nd half.

D
Did he play the first half? I remember wondering where he was while Shedro was giving our defense a facial.
Im pretty sure he did not play in the first half.

Did Ja'Had Carter not play? Don't remember seeing him and these RSN telecasts leave out a lot of detail.

Did Ja'Had Carter not play? Don't remember seeing him and these RSN telecasts leave out a lot of detail.
Carter's on the participation list. My question is why Trill didn't play the first half.

Last edited:
So there is hope for a good run defense in the 335? I was beginning to wonder. Personnel matters. What a shocker.

Trill was a huge help and the LBers seemed to hold gap integrity better in the 2nd half.
Why do we have to wait until halftime to adjust? Freeze made adjustments throughout the game.

Carter's on the participation list. My question is why Trill didn't play the first half.

Think it was mentioned Trill missed some practice this week so they held out his snaps until the 2nd half

Why do we have to wait until halftime to adjust? Freeze made adjustments throughout the game.
From what some have said, having Trill in the second half wasn't really an adjustment.

Not sure and maybe we did and Freeze was just a few steps ahead.
You also could see the inexperience of the LBers and ends really hurt us on plays.
Boils down to their OL dominated us in the first half.

I think the million dollar question is: why are we depending on the secondary to make tackles in the run game?

The linebackers don't know what they are doing? Are too afraid to hit? Get caught up being blocked?

The defensive tackles can't fill holes ...get out-techniqued on run plays?

Rob Hanna, the lightest dude on the team, was the only one who wanted to stick his nose in and hit.

Here's my guess at the initial question. The secondary started playing zone in the second half so they could keep their eyes on the run (again, because they are the only ones expected to tackle in the run game). And so Freeze said, "Okay, let's throw the ball and beat them that way."

I think the million dollar question is: why are we depending on the secondary to make tackles in the run game?

The linebackers don't know what they are doing? Are too afraid to hit? Get caught up being blocked?

Rob Hanna, the lightest dude on the team, was the only one who wanted to stick his nose in and hit.

This is a real valid point...

The LBs aren't afraid to hit. They're relatively inexperienced and undersized. It's not abnormal for us ro rely on safeties to come up and make tackles in the run game. I think Donovan Darius led us in tackles for something like 3 years and we had good run defenses then.

In the SDSU version of 3-3-5 the two safeties (boundry/SS & the Aztec/Rover) are accountable for run stopping and are often in the top 3-5 players in tackles.

Another note is the the SDSU version of the 3-3-5 (not the rich rod version) is typically very stout against the run typically featuring undersized linemen but oversized LBs and FS/SS/Rov

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom