Didn't see this coming? | Syracusefan.com

Didn't see this coming?

Nicknack

All Conference
The play as of yet is no question, frustrating as hell. Yesterday was like stabbing my eyes out with a fork. With that being said, I'm certainly not surprised. What I am surprised about is the over-reaction by many on this board. Looking at how dependent we are on the 3pt shot, of course we are going to have our full of What games (like yesterday). At the same time, we are also going to enjoy some games where we look like a final four caliber team. I've thought all along that provided we make the NCAA's, look out. We are a dangerous team because no one (including ourselves) knows what to expect. We are a team, in my opinion, that could get hot at the right time and make a deep run. We are also a team that could stink it up (like yesterday) and lose in the first round. Again, that's provided that we even make the tournament although I think we will. This will be a roller coaster ride this season... better times are ahead!

I think a team like this is dangerous in that it can get hot and pull a big unexpected upset. I don't think its really a danger to make a deep run. Multiple guys can get hot at the same time, but it's unlikely that multiple guys would get hot and stay hot long enough to beat multiple teams in consecutive games over multiple weekends.

I think a team like this is dangerous in that it can get hot and pull a big unexpected upset. I don't think its really a danger to make a deep run. Multiple guys can get hot at the same time, but it's unlikely that multiple guys would get hot and stay hot long enough to beat multiple teams in consecutive games over multiple weekends.

Yeah, good point and this is more in line with my thinking as well. Provided we make the tourney, hopefully we are good enough at that point to win our first round game even without great shooting. It's obviously got to be better than yesterday because that won't get it done against any tournament team. Then if we can get hot in the second round and perhaps sweet sixteen, an elite 8 appearance would be welcoming considering how I'm feeling right now. We will see as it could go either way... a quick flame out or a nice surprise or two in the tourney.

I said right after Atlantis that we are either going to look like a threat or we will suck out loud, game to game, with absolutely no consistency or predictability. But, I didn't foresee a 1 for 19 from cooney and MR. I doubt anyone did. I also didn't think we would make the NCAA tournament, and now that our post Atlantis high has dissipated, confidences lost, and blueprints provided to league teams, I don't even think we will even be a bubble team. And this is with or without JB at the helm.

I hope we build from here. Take this loss as bad tasting medicine, and use it to force everyone to look inside to figure out how to maximize their personal strengths and minimize exposure to what each of them do poorly. There need to be limits. JB has the reputation (somehow) for letting players play, which must refer to diversity... but I'd like to see more restrictions imposed. Don't want to see Roberson shooting jumpers from outside of 8 feet. Don't want to see Dajuan driving. Don't want to see cooney shooting anything but straight up and down jumpers, or off drives where he might get fouled. G can do whatever he wants. Same for Lydon, because he already self-imposes limits and doesn't force. Mal needs to have a freshman's stoplight, not a senior's green light. He hasn't proven anything yet. Start from scratch and build a team from effort, efficiency, and results, not reputation and recruiting grades. Mostly, don't take anything for granted. We have more talent than most teams on paper, but the other teams are out working us to compensate.

Start from scratch and build a team from effort, efficiency, and results, not reputation and recruiting grades. Mostly, don't take anything for granted. We have more talent than most teams on paper, but the other teams are out working us to compensate.

That type of defensive effort and toughness / scrapiness is the ONE thing the team can control game in, game out. Obviously, shooting comes and goes--happens to every team and all players.

It is unacceptable to have games where we merely go through the motions defensively and on the boards, even accounting for the team's personnel limitations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom