Dino Babers @ Eastern Illinois | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers @ Eastern Illinois

ChipPanther

Walk On
Hi All! I've been lurking on this board since you hired Dino. I had the amazing opportunity to watch every game of his while he was at Eastern Illinois. So far, this season has begun exactly as I have expected (minus giving up 21 points in 5 minutes, that was a new one). Most fans on here knew there would be some growing pains but others seem to be really worried. I assure you there is nothing to worry about. I saw Dino inherit a terrible team and turn them into a conference champ in just one season. He will lead you to a bowl game this year, I 99% promise!

In his first year at EIU he inherited an atrocious defense and an atrocious offense (however, he had Jimmy Garappolo and WR Erik Lora). Dino knew that he could salvage an offense with solid skill players. Syracuse has a very capable QB and Wide Receivers. He also knows that you set up the run with a strong pass attack. Syracuse has RB's that can work in space, and as the passing attack gels, the RB's will improve as the field spreads out.

He came out in his first game and punched SIU in the mouth. The defense was not good, but they kept the game in front of them. Dino relies on the other team's offense making mistakes when he has a weak unit on the field (I don't know how he does in recruiting b/c he hasn't been at a school long enough). At EIU his defense caused a lot of turnovers (as they did this past week). Syracuse plays enough offensively-challenged teams for this strategy to work and to get 6 wins. Yeah, you may beat a few teams 52-48 this year, but that's what happened his first year at EIU as well.

In his second season, the defense got stronger (same below-average players with a few transfers). It got stronger because it had confidence in its offense. The Tampa 2 variation he plays is not my favorite by any means, but when your offense is scoring in less than 1-minute, you have to play a style of D that won't wear the players out. You won't be able to stop offensively sound teams this year, but that's OK. You at least have a shot at outscoring them and you may get a few lucky turnovers. He went to San Diego State in the first game of his 2nd season and destroyed them. He went to DeKalb and almost beat a NIU team that started the season 12-0. The team's only weakness that season was when a team had a power running attack that was able to slice up his undersized D-Line and finish 7-minute drives with touchdowns (Towson game). However, I believe he would have been OK in this realm in his 3rd year had he stayed.

My point is, this Syracuse team is similar to the EIU team he inherited in terms of lacking talent. Dino's system allows him to build up his skill players and he does the best he can with the linemen/LB's/etc. I also believe the speed of the Louisville game was unexpected by the secondary. The fans on here are right to blame that on the coaching staff. However, Dino has an amazing way of building up a player's confidence. He doesn't yell and scream like a tyrant. He doesn't sugarcoat shortcomings either. He has a short memory and teaches his players how to learn from those mistakes. He also builds a "when one falls, we all fall atmosphere." You would be surprised how much better a player responds when his own teammates are holding him accountable in a constructive way. Dino is a master at that.

My prediction for this week: You will see some improvement on defense and enough improvement on offense to hang with USF. I know it doesn't mean anything now, but being around his teams for 2 years makes me believe you have nothing to worry about.

Hi All! I've been lurking on this board since you hired Dino. I had the amazing opportunity to watch every game of his while he was at Eastern Illinois. So far, this season has begun exactly as I have expected (minus giving up 21 points in 5 minutes, that was a new one). Most fans on here knew there would be some growing pains but others seem to be really worried. I assure you there is nothing to worry about. I saw Dino inherit a terrible team and turn them into a conference champ in just one season. He will lead you to a bowl game this year, I 99% promise!

In his first year at EIU he inherited an atrocious defense and an atrocious offense (however, he had Jimmy Garappolo and WR Erik Lora). Dino knew that he could salvage an offense with solid skill players. Syracuse has a very capable QB and Wide Receivers. He also knows that you set up the run with a strong pass attack. Syracuse has RB's that can work in space, and as the passing attack gels, the RB's will improve as the field spreads out.

He came out in his first game and punched SIU in the mouth. The defense was not good, but they kept the game in front of them. Dino relies on the other team's offense making mistakes when he has a weak unit on the field (I don't know how he does in recruiting b/c he hasn't been at a school long enough). At EIU his defense caused a lot of turnovers (as they did this past week). Syracuse plays enough offensively-challenged teams for this strategy to work and to get 6 wins. Yeah, you may beat a few teams 52-48 this year, but that's what happened his first year at EIU as well.

In his second season, the defense got stronger (same below-average players with a few transfers). It got stronger because it had confidence in its offense. The Tampa 2 variation he plays is not my favorite by any means, but when your offense is scoring in less than 1-minute, you have to play a style of D that won't wear the players out. You won't be able to stop offensively sound teams this year, but that's OK. You at least have a shot at outscoring them and you may get a few lucky turnovers. He went to San Diego State in the first game of his 2nd season and destroyed them. He went to DeKalb and almost beat a NIU team that started the season 12-0. The team's only weakness that season was when a team had a power running attack that was able to slice up his undersized D-Line and finish 7-minute drives with touchdowns (Towson game). However, I believe he would have been OK in this realm in his 3rd year had he stayed.

My point is, this Syracuse team is similar to the EIU team he inherited in terms of lacking talent. Dino's system allows him to build up his skill players and he does the best he can with the linemen/LB's/etc. I also believe the speed of the Louisville game was unexpected by the secondary. The fans on here are right to blame that on the coaching staff. However, Dino has an amazing way of building up a player's confidence. He doesn't yell and scream like a tyrant. He doesn't sugarcoat shortcomings either. He has a short memory and teaches his players how to learn from those mistakes. He also builds a "when one falls, we all fall atmosphere." You would be surprised how much better a player responds when his own teammates are holding him accountable in a constructive way. Dino is a master at that.

My prediction for this week: You will see some improvement on defense and enough improvement on offense to hang with USF. I know it doesn't mean anything now, but being around his teams for 2 years makes me believe you have nothing to worry about.
Excellent post. Thank you!

LAST TIME I WAS THIS PUMPED WAS THE POST FROM THE OKLAHOMA FAN ABOUT DREW ALLEN. Can someone drum up that gem?
Yes, but that came from a Drew Allen homer who obviously wanted to see him play for Oklahoma and wasn't good enough. The above poster has seen Babers in action for two seasons.

Yes, but that came from a Drew Allen homer who obviously wanted to see him play for Oklahoma and wasn't good enough. The above poster has seen Babers in action for two seasons.

I fail to see how you distinguish the two situations but im all for it regardless.

I've taken a step back from the ledge. Thank you for that post!

Thanks for taking the time to come over to here to share your thoughts. You don't know how badly we hope you're right!

I keep coming back to the offensive numbers and knowing how inefficient we've been. If you want proof that good things are coming, that's it right there. Dino's calm demeanor after the loss speaks to this. He knows.

ChipPanther has lived the same thing! Thanks for the encouragement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not sure who you are but I too was at EIU and saw every game Dino coached at home (and some away games). IMHO Dino is an offensive wizard. He really had little to do with the defense.

being his d coordinator is a bit of a nightmare. his fast break offense either goes 3 and out or scores. Your defense is on the field continually.

Syracuse fans need to be a bit patient. Give Dino a few years; he will do well.

On top of all that Dino is a good person, thoughtful, intelligent and very articulate!

The EIU experience is probably closer to Baber's situation now than what happened at BG but it would be nice to hear from a Bowling Green fan to go with this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not sure who you are but I too was at EIU and saw every game Dino coached at home (and some away games). IMHO Dino is an offensive wizard. He really had little to do with the defense.

being his d coordinator is a bit of a nightmare. his fast break offense either goes 3 and out or scores. Your defense is on the field continually.

Syracuse fans need to be a bit patient. Give Dino a few years; he will do well.

On top of all that Dino is a good person, thoughtful, intelligent and very articulate!
Sorry we can't have positive posts like this on our board, it may hurt some of our posters feelings.

Great post. Our fan base is frustrated and reading through this board recently, it seems they've already lost hope with Babers. Patience.

So from what I gather Dino is great at offense. Here's an idea, let's hire a guy who is great at defense and have him be defensive coordinator! With a great offense and great defense I think we'll be hard to stop. Although there are special teams too... I'll let you know if I come up with an idea for that.

skurey said:
So from what I gather Dino is great at offense. Here's an idea, let's hire a guy who is great at defense and have him be defensive coordinator! With a great offense and great defense I think we'll be hard to stop. Although there are special teams too... I'll let you know if I come up with an idea for that.

Ward may be that guy. Not sure we have enough data to decide he's not. (And I know someone will say Louisville proved that he's not good - it was disturbing, but not proof).

Waiting for this to be bumped in three years. Hope you're right OP!

Thanks for the post! I'm not as confident we are getting to a bowl game this season, but I'm still optimistic about the future. If I'm wrong about the bowl game, I'll happily take the message board out for humble pie.

Appreciate the post, and insight. We have fans jumping off after basically one real game. Against a top 10 team, nonetheless. I have faith in Dino, and believe he is the man for the job. Intelligent, patient, articulate, innovative, etc. Also, what you said about the way he deals with players seems to be true, and a huge factor in his success. The future is bright if we give the guy a chance, and support the team. Crazy to even have to say this after two games. But, I understand the few detractors are louder than those all in. I think we got our venting out, so time to get ready to fill the Dome as best we can, and beat USF.

Thanks for the post! I'm not as confident we are getting to a bowl game this season, but I'm still optimistic about the future. If I'm wrong about the bowl game, I'll happily take the message board out for humble pie.
Why should we have to eat your humble pie?:noidea:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom