Dino Babers / Kingsley Jonathan / Chris Elmore Pre-Training Camp Press Conference | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers / Kingsley Jonathan / Chris Elmore Pre-Training Camp Press Conference

Didn't mean for my post to come across as direct jab at you, Money ...not in any way shape or form. I was more responding to your point about how Dino perceived the question.

These are just my further thoughts on the subject, and in no way did I ever mean to imply that you weren't rooting for the coach. I just wanted to be sure I mentioned I was rooting for him because I was looking at this press conference with a more critical eye.

We can agree to disagree on Dino's response to the question

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding
No apologies needed my man. I didnt think that at all. Sorry it came across that way. I totally understand how his response could annoy some people. I dont think anyone is right or wrong. I am just more understanding of how pressure and emotions can get the best of you. I think its ok that he doesnt have the perfect answer at times. He could be telling the public one thing and doing the total opposite behind the scenes. I wouldnt like that so I kinda like seeing coaches show real emotions whether they come across defensive or not. Now I wouldnt want to hear it over and over again lol.

Not me at all

Everyone knows if they brought TD out the press would hammer him with questions about the QB competition.

No way Dino would feed him to the wolves like that.

Smart choice by Dino IMO
What "hammer"? It's Steve Infanti and Axe, not exactly Woodward & Bernstein. Easy response "we were 1-10 last year, everyone is competing every day for their position, and the only thing that matters is winning."

Having him as a no show - to me anyway - seems like hiding him and the issue, and showing how short his leash is going to be.

I never said he shouldnt expect that type of question and asking it doesnt warrant you the answer you desire. Im just saying you are not going to hear responses exactly how you want. Why cant coaches be defensive? Part of being a good media guy is asking tough questions but also having to deal with not getting the answer you desire. It goes both ways. We can dissect everyones words. There not gonna always come out the way we want them to. My thoughts has nothing to do with rooting for him or not.
I like Dino and am definitely rooting for his success.

I wasn’t looking for a specific response from him with that first question, I just thought it was odd to come out of the gate like that especially considering spring was completely locked up. It’s not like he’s been getting hammered with tough questions all year

I always thought Marv Levy gave great press conferences. The time he told a reporter to go read a book was hilarious

I think it is odd that our returning QB has not been at any of these press events yet.
I’m not. I do not think you will see any qbs giving interviews in camp. I also believe each player that speaks have been told to say the same line about qb play or competition.
Finally I’m not really sure we will even see the qbs throw when the media is there. Why does DB want to give them anything that they could use as a distraction.

What "hammer"? It's Steve Infanti and Axe, not exactly Woodward & Bernstein. Easy response "we were 1-10 last year, everyone is competing every day for their position, and the only thing that matters is winning."

Having him as a no show - to me anyway - seems like hiding him and the issue, and showing how short his leash is going to be.
If you put him out there you have to also put the other qbs out there. Otherwise media spins it that’s he’s the starter because he is the one speaking to the press and is the face of the qbs room.

Agree with that

no need to publicize what your exact goals are.

Would have liked him to say something like “our goal this is season is what it is every season, we want to see our young guys progress and become better. Our ultimate goal is to win some games and find our way into a bowl game.”
It was a gotcha question (gawd I hate that phrase) to get him to commit to something he doesn’t need to. The people who need to hear that stuff have already heard it (AD and players and other staff).

No need to give fodder, when it’s simple - they need to improve and win

I like Dino and am definitely rooting for his success.

I wasn’t looking for a specific response from him with that first question, I just thought it was odd to come out of the gate like that especially considering spring was completely locked up. It’s not like he’s been getting hammered with tough questions all year

I always thought Marv Levy gave great press conferences. The time he told a reporter to go read a book was hilarious
Definitely odd. Maybe his wife burned his pancakes this morning. Maybe there something he has against that specific reporter. I don’t know but I like genuineness if his frustration.

I like Dino and want him to succeed. But I absolutely believe that for it to happen, he needs to fundamentally change the type of offense he runs. Less about pace and more about diversity in playcalling. More short and intermediate passes. Using more of the field and more of the players.

Can he do that? I think so. Will he? I dont know.

I like Dino and want him to succeed. But I absolutely believe that for it to happen, he needs to fundamentally change the type of offense he runs. Less about pace and more about diversity in playcalling. More short and intermediate passes. Using more of the field and more of the players.

I can get on board with that. I think there's signs.

But to be honest, I'm not sure what our offense has been trying to do as it as so knee-capped by bad OL play.

Not me at all

Everyone knows if they brought TD out the press would hammer him with questions about the QB competition.

No way Dino would feed him to the wolves like that.

Smart choice by Dino IMO
Agreed...plus, I'd rather know that he's busy studying film ;-)

I can get on board with that. I think there's signs.

But to be honest, I'm not sure what our offense has been trying to do as it as so knee-capped by bad OL play.
pretty much says it all. if you cant run on 3rd and short you never really get to run an offense that works. you may not be able to run it in every time inside the red zone.. but you need to be able to do it enough to be effective. Its great you can have the nice 50 yd run sometimes.. but you need to have a few drives where the running game moves the ball or the short passing game works. too many times we set up the good big play and the blocking is a bit lacking the throw comes out too early and we get zip.

He wont

I’m just excited for the season. And I’ve got faith in Dino to do what he does. Let’s get some W’s.

I mean - seems like Axe is trying to set expectations from jump to use as a basis for “success”…

I don’t know what Dino is supposed to say, other than kind of how he started… I want everyone to improve. He’s not going to say 8 wins, or bowl or put a number to it.

You don’t want to paint yourself in a corner but confidence is good too.

I like fire - wouldn’t mind seeing some of it on the sidelines too, good fire.
I just (finally) watched the press conference on YouTube.

First, I have not been an Axe fan for the majority of his reporting days, but in the past 18 months, he’s growing on me. Writing tough articles stating what we are thinking and not being a homer. So I’ve become a semi-supporter.

The intent of the question was probably waaayyy better than the question itself. Axe completely Culpeppered it (4th down spike reference). He should have had a far tighter question versus the rookie-esque cross between a hardball question and a softball throw.

Dino wanted nothing to do with it and his level of media saviness was deflected without much effort, but unmistakable contempt. The first five minutes felt like Babers went to the Boeheim school of local news press conferences.

Babers has created a semi-collision of idealism. He speaks of Ohana and commradeness, but closes off the community and the press from how he staunchly limits practice to the press and the fans..all while personally being seemingly on a third of all local business ad campaigns. He has manufactured a feel like he’s part of the community but really walls it off, overly relying on wins and losses or a surprise element.

He’s now made it all on him to produce this season. The Jenga-ness of the landscape has once again moved with Texas and Oklahoma, so the Coach Mac-desired patience has officially ended. Hopefully this season leads to 500 or better and he can then grow to fuse the community with the team versus staying too loyal to his Army-brat upbringing that seems to be governing his macro leadership issues.

Gotta win. And at least, not lose in September more than once. Or it will get unfortunate for everyone. Literally.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom