Dino Babers / Kingsley Jonathan / Chris Elmore Pre-Training Camp Press Conference | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers / Kingsley Jonathan / Chris Elmore Pre-Training Camp Press Conference

My takeaway: Don't ever ask Dino how he defines a successful season. He started out really agitated like he was expecting a fight with the media. Woah. Didn't like that

The rest of the presser was good, even though Dino seemed to hold onto some of the stoic edginess
Dino came out defensive out of the gate. After the last two years does he think he’s going to be treated like Saban? And the Syracuse media are cream puffs compared to a lot of other places. I don’t get it…

I’d like to see him have a little of that same fire on the sidelines as he does towards the media

I dont blame Dino for being agitated. A lot on the line this year. I thought both players were great. Im a really big fan of Elmore.
Dino is on his game. I got a good feeling from the all three of them. SU is going to surprise the football world this year. I think we are going to be.a very physical football team.

Dino came out defensive out of the gate. After the last two years does he think he’s going to be treated like Saban? And the Syracuse media are cream puffs compared to a lot of other places. I don’t get it…

I’d like to see him have a little of that same fire on the sidelines as he does towards the media
The question was dumb and he treated it as such.

I’m just excited for the season. And I’ve got faith in Dino to do what he does. Let’s get some W’s.

I mean - seems like Axe is trying to set expectations from jump to use as a basis for “success”…

I don’t know what Dino is supposed to say, other than kind of how he started… I want everyone to improve. He’s not going to say 8 wins, or bowl or put a number to it.

You don’t want to paint yourself in a corner but confidence is good too.

I like fire - wouldn’t mind seeing some of it on the sidelines too, good fire.

I didn't like Dino's first answer AT ALL!!
We want everyone to be better...we don't want anyone to die...something to that effect.
MULE MUFFINS...
If you have no specific goals...how do you know you've attained "success"?
Everybody could be better this year and we go 3-9...you good with that?
Goal 1...we will be in the top half in fewest sacks allowed.
Goal 2...on offense we want to end the year with both 2700 yards passing and running.
Goal 3...continued excellence in special teams...punt/kickoff coverage yards allowed etc.
Goal 4...cut # of penalties in half.
And there could/should be a lot more. Point being you win battles, you're likely to win the war.
If you can't define success, how do you know when it has been attained?

We want everyone to be better...we don't want anyone to die...something to that effect.
MULE MUFFINS...
Goal 2...on offense we want to end the year with both 2700 yards passing and running.
Goal 3...continued excellence in special teams...punt/kickoff coverage yards allowed etc.
And there could/should be a lot more. Point being you win battles, you're likely to win the war.

You're gonna love Dino's replacement next year.

He'll give GREAT press conferences. He'll answer everyone's questions. He'll open up all the practices to the public.

But we'll still go 3-9 every year.

MULE MUFFINS...
He cant define success? You really think he doesnt have those goals? He doesnt need to say it publicly for us to know he has those thoughts. He knows whats on the line. Whether he's winning or losing he doesnt have to give answers that the media people want to hear. What he talks to his team about is what matters.

He cant define success? You really think he doesnt have those goals? He doesnt need to say it publicly for us to know he has those thoughts. He knows whats on the line. Whether he's winning or losing he doesnt have to give answers that the media people want to hear. What he talks to his team about is what matters.

I agree I don’t think he needs to be specific

I just wish he didn’t sound as angry as he did on the first question

but maybe that’s a good thing, maybe he’s angry about last season and is hungry to prove that the last 2 seasons were flukes.

Last edited:
I agree I don’t think he needs to be specific

I just wish he didn’t sound as angry as he did on the first question

but maybe that’s a good thing, maybe he’s angry about last season and is hungry to prove that the last 2 seasons weren’t flukes.

I was ok with it. The guy is under pressure he is not going to respond the way everyone wants him to. I felt that guy knew exactly what he was asking. I rather for coaches to be real instead of faking. Dino was obviously bothered by it. Glad to see him show his emotion.

The guy really wanted to ask how many wins you think he needs to have to save his job? Thats how it came across to me. I dont know if Dino's preceived it that way or not but I have a feeling he did.
Yep. No coach wants to put a number of wins on it, but especially one on a hot seat coming off of a 1 win season.

MULE MUFFINS...
I’m pretty sure what he says to the public and what goals he sets for his team should be different

I’m pretty sure what he says to the public and what goals he sets for his team should be different

Agree with that

no need to publicize what your exact goals are.

Would have liked him to say something like “our goal this is season is what it is every season, we want to see our young guys progress and become better. Our ultimate goal is to win some games and find our way into a bowl game.”

The guy really wanted to ask how many wins you think he needs to have to save his job? Thats how it came across to me. I dont know if Dino's preceived it that way or not but I have a feeling he did.
I guess I would say how do you not expect a question like that after a 1-10 season and some speculation that he needs to win this year to keep coaching at Syracuse? I think Dino absolutely did perceive the question in the way you said, Money. But he has to expect the media to do their jobs and not be his best friend all the time.

Questioning could have been much worse. I agree with Brooklyn in that this is not the NYC media market ...or fans in Tuscaloosa who would be calling for the coach's head after a 1-10 season. No one in the media (to my knowledge) is cheering for Dino to be out of a job.

The question should have been anticipated, and Dino could have headed it off. He could have said "improve from last year ...We want to be more than 1-10."

In Dino's defense, I can understand why he might come in defensive, but it wasn't a good look. And I also understand why you can't answer that question more specifically, because someone could come along and say, "look, Dino didn't even make his own standard for success," and use it as ammunition against him. But since the question was asked, there has to be a more nuanced answer here.

All this being said, I am still really cheering for Dino.

I guess I would say how do you not expect a question like that after a 1-10 season and some speculation that he needs to win this year to keep coaching at Syracuse? I think Dino absolutely did perceive the question in the way you said, Money. But he has to expect the media to do their jobs and not be his best friend all the time.

Questioning could have been much worse. I agree with Brooklyn in that this is not the NYC media market ...or fans in Tuscaloosa who would be calling for the coach's head after a 1-10 season. No one in the media (to my knowledge) is cheering for Dino to be out of a job.

The question should have been anticipated, and Dino could have headed it off. He could have said "improve from last year ...We want to be more than 1-10."

In Dino's defense, I can understand why he might come in defensive, but it wasn't a good look. And I also understand why you can't answer that question more specifically, because someone could come along and say, "look, Dino didn't even make his own standard for success," and use it as ammunition against him. But since the question was asked, there has to be a more nuanced answer here.

All this being said, I am still really cheering for Dino.
I never said he shouldnt expect that type of question and asking it doesnt warrant you the answer you desire. Im just saying you are not going to hear responses exactly how you want. Why cant coaches be defensive? Part of being a good media guy is asking tough questions but also having to deal with not getting the answer you desire. It goes both ways. We can dissect everyones words. There not gonna always come out the way we want them to. My thoughts has nothing to do with rooting for him or not.

Last edited:
I think it is odd that our returning QB has not been at any of these press events yet.

I never said he shouldnt expect that type of question and asking it doesnt warrant you the answer you desire. Im just saying you are not going to hear responses exactly how you want. Why cant coaches be defensive? Part of being a good media guy is asking tough questions but also having to deal with not getting the answer you desire. It goes both ways. We can dissect everyones words. There not gonna alway come out the way you want them to. My thoughts has nothing to do with rooting for him or not.
Didn't mean for my post to come across as direct jab at you, Money ...not in any way shape or form. I was more responding to your point about how Dino perceived the question.

These are just my further thoughts on the subject, and in no way did I ever mean to imply that you weren't rooting for the coach. I just wanted to be sure I mentioned I was rooting for him because I was looking at this press conference with a more critical eye.

We can agree to disagree on Dino's response to the question

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom