Dino just squashed any QB controversy... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino just squashed any QB controversy...

When terrrell hunt went down and Dungey came in as a freshman he loooked amazing. Wish that Devito had the same start. Still think/hope he will be good given the hype. Maybe my expectations were too high. I had no expectations when Dungey came in. He was a signee from Oregon with less press than Devito. I was sort of all in on Hunt at the time and thrilled we had someone who could play

When terrrell hunt went down and Dungey came in as a freshman he loooked amazing. Wish that Devito had the same start. Still think/hope he will be good given the hype. Maybe my expectations were too high. I had no expectations when Dungey came in. He was a signee from Oregon with less press than Devito. I was sort of all in on Hunt at the time and thrilled we had someone who could play

Hunt got injured playing Rhode Island at home. Under those same circumstances, I have to believe DeVito would have had more success as well.

What seems to be hard for ED, which is understandable, is after he makes a decent/hard run...running up to the line and then passing when he is a little winded. Often when tired or winded your mechanics break down XY or Z and the ball doesn't go where you hoped/wanted. I know ED is in great shape but still it is very hard to do even being in great shape.

Im hearing TD may have his hands full holding off Chance Amie next year for QB1.....competition is good boys and girls.....

no doubt this is EDs team, now we must pray to the football Gods his health will last all season!

If you run into constantly into a brick wall time and time again is it because you're injury prone or you shouldn't be running constantly into the wall time after time?

Hunt got injured playing Rhode Island at home. Under those same circumstances, I have to believe DeVito would have had more success as well.

Crazy how that might impact the outcome, right? Dungey was 10-17 for 114 and 2td and had 8 carries for 20 yds and played almost the entire game.

Against WM Devito was 4-9 for 42, without the hold 5-10 for 91, in about 1 quarter. And he had 8 carries for 14 yds.

Some fans wanted to keep Shafer. Istandwith...
ehh, hindsight is 20/20. I liked Shafer's rapport with the team and given the upheaval that had been Syracuse football since the turn of the century, I wasn't sure another HC change was the right way to go. I also didn't like his in game coaching decisions or how he couldn't control his emotions, and who would have thought that Mark Coyle would bring us Dino Babers before packing up and heading out of town using a Minnesota semi FFS?

Time marches on, glad to be an SU fan. The future is bright

Im hearing TD may have his hands full holding off Chance Amie next year for QB1...competition is good boys and girls...

no doubt this is EDs team, now we must pray to the football Gods his health will last all season!
Yep

No doubt! I vividly recall that moment, and afterwards saying holy sh!!, who the heck is this dude that appears to be "it" and hadn't heard a peep about him. ED game in that game as a true frosh, and from the very moment instilled presence, moxie, and leadership. Devito has been here for two years, and, imho, did not
have anywhere near the stage presence as ED did, and again, he was a true frosh with absolutely zero notoriety coming in, unlike the hoopla of Devito.

I'm not implying in anyway the Devito will not have a great career here, I hope he does as this bodes well for all of us SU diehards, but, if first impressions are truly that meaningful, imo, I wasn't impressed.

I've heard rumblings that some of the younger players were pulling for TD to get the starting job.
I find that pretty difficult to believe (the accuracy of the rumblings - not that you heard them). Despite his throwing deficiencies, Dungey is as much the heart and soul of this SU football program as any single player I've ever seen since I've been a fan. The players themselves have to realize that.

No doubt! I vividly recall that moment, and afterwards saying holy sh!!, who the heck is this dude that appears to be "it" and hadn't heard a peep about him. ED game in that game as a true frosh, and from the very moment instilled presence, moxie, and leadership. Devito has been here for two years, and, imho, did not
have anywhere near the stage presence as ED did, and again, he was a true frosh with absolutely zero notoriety coming in, unlike the hoopla of Devito.

I'm not implying in anyway the Devito will not have a great career here, I hope he does as this bodes well for all of us SU diehards, but, if first impressions are truly that meaningful, imo, I wasn't impressed.

Jesus watch the game again if you weren't impressed.

First series he plays moves from the 20 to the 42 in six plays, including running for a first down on 3rd and 9. Then the next three plays from the 42 are:

1. Drops a dime on a five step drop where he plants his back foot on the 35, with a free rusher bearing down on him, and throws a perfect ball does the left hash that if Butler doesn't inexplicably pull up, he catches the ball at the 10 and goes right into the endzone without breaking stride.

2. Next play, guard totally fans lets the DT get across his face inside, escapes to the right from a DE, keeps his head up and throws a perfect 25 yd ball on the run over the corner that goes down to the 5 but gets called back because of holding.

3. 2nd and 20 perfect screen pass that goes for 8.

He didn't have a clean pocket his whole first possession. For the first game action in two years, he did great.

I’m not particularly worried. WMU is a good program. TD will get plenty of looks against Wagner. It will build his confidence back up.

I find that pretty difficult to believe (the accuracy of the rumblings - not that you heard them). Despite his throwing deficiencies, Dungey is as much the heart and soul of this SU football program as any single player I've ever seen since I've been a fan. The players themselves have to realize that.

And they do given our deflated defensive play when ED goes out last year and Friday night. These kids adore him as a player, leader, and friend. TD will get that in due time.

First series he plays moves from the 20 to the 42 in six plays, including running for a first down on 3rd and 9. Then the next three plays from the 42 are:

1. Drops a dime on a five step drop where he plants his back foot on the 35, with a free rusher bearing down on him, and throws a perfect ball does the left hash that if Butler doesn't inexplicably pull up, he catches the ball at the 10 and goes right into the endzone without breaking stride.

2. Next play, guard totally fans lets the DT get across his face inside, escapes to the right from a DE, keeps his head up and throws a perfect 25 yd ball on the run over the corner that goes down to the 5 but gets called back because of holding.

He didn't have a clean pocket his whole first possession. For the first game action in two years, he did great.
My second watch impression of DeVito has given me reason to change my original grade, as well.

Can’t blame him for the defense taking a Siesta.

It made things look worse.

Amen.

Uh, he a QB, not a RB, and he can't help the team if he's on the sideline with a dislocated shoulder.

On this team, he's both. It's not going to stop. So yeah, DeVito needs to be ready. No surprise.

Didn't make a lot of sense to me to start playing chicken in a must-win game like that. You can give him 3 quarters against Wagner. And apologize to the coach for running it up so badly, but that's why FCS teams get the payday.

If anything, let’s bope DeVito got the deer I tbe headlights out of him, because...who-ha...he had it.

Dungey is clearly the vet we all knew we need to to take us to 7 wins.

And DeVito, clearly needs to work harder and prepare his brain better to make sure that when Dungey goes down, he doesn’t shlit himself so bad.
Devito needs to not target Butler and stop having Pierce fumble the ball as well as stop the OL from Holding penalties and he will be fine.

Matador blocking scheme while the kid was in the game didnt help either.

I was at the Spring Game and Fall Scrimmage that year and honestly Dungey looked better than Hunt in practice and both scrimmages.

Knew he would be good, you could see it immediately before he took a live snap in a game.

I've heard rumblings that some of the younger players were pulling for TD to get the starting job. The media has also stirred things up with their stories about competition between ED and TD. This could have played out for a while but I have heard Dino say multiple times that there is a lot of value in game experience. I truly feel that TD has a bright future and needs to get game experience, but tonight proves this is ED's team. WHAT A GREAT PERFORMANCE BY DUNGEY. He was already up there but he may solidified himself as my all time favorite Cuse QB. The dude is just a straight up competitor at the highest level. Hats off to him and here's to hoping he can make it a full season. How but that Marshawn Lynch stiff arm and beast mode!
The only controversy is why I was never named starting QB. If my NCAA ‘03 record is at all indicative of my potential, then it’s pretty safe to assume that I would have won 4 Heisman and 4 NC’s.

...I guess the school was afraid of the BIG EAST looking too good to fall apart.

The only controversy is why I was never named starting QB. If my NCAA ‘03 record is at all indicative of my potential, then it’s pretty safe to assume that I would have won 4 Heisman and 4 NC’s.

...I guess the school was afraid of the BIG EAST looking too good to fall apart.
You wuz robbed!!

Crazy how that might impact the outcome, right? Dungey was 10-17 for 114 and 2td and had 8 carries for 20 yds and played almost the entire game.

Against WM Devito was 4-9 for 42, without the hold 5-10 for 91, in about 1 quarter. And he had 8 carries for 14 yds.
And Dungey had 5 options to throw to - Parris/Lewis, Erv Phillips, Ishmael and Estime. DeVito had ... Custis. True, right now DeVito's not the RPO threat that ED is. But give him another S/C year, a few WR's that can get separation and an offensive plan more geared to his strengths, and he'll run up the numbers.

I don't need to watch again, I saw the game. As I also stated, it was just my humble opinion. In the end, I witnessed 5 offensive series which led to absolutely nothing, other than continuing to give WMU more life. Once Dungey was re-inserted, bingo, 3 straight scores...game over.

This directly from his coach, who does have bearing..."Tommy messed up on a bunch of stuff and there's other stuff he did really good," Babers said.

And Dungey had 5 options to throw to - Parris/Lewis, Erv Phillips, Ishmael and Estime. DeVito had ... Custis. True, right now DeVito's not the RPO threat that ED is. But give him another S/C year, a few WR's that can get separation and an offensive plan more geared to his strengths, and he'll run up the numbers.
I don't need to watch again, I saw the game. As I also stated, it was just my humble opinion. In the end, I witnessed 5 offensive series which led to absolutely nothing, other than continuing to give WMU more life. Once Dungey was re-inserted, bingo, 3 straight scores...game over.

This directly from his coach, who does have bearing..."Tommy messed up on a bunch of stuff and there's other stuff he did really good," Babers said.
I would not be surprised if babers had Tommy and Eric on the field at the same time a lot for the Florida St. game.

Tommy has a chance to be a very good QB for Syracuse. He first has to hold off Chance as that kid has a cannon, size, and wheels over Tommy so im not so sure that he doesnt end up winning the job. When asked in his interview who he was impressed by Eric answered Chance.