Dino loses playcalling duties in Arizona | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dino loses playcalling duties in Arizona

It's not fair to call Dino a bad coach. We've seen a bad coach, up close, from 2005 through 2008. A bad coach doesn't win 10 games or make 3 bowls in 6 years.

Dino was mediocre overall and lower tier for the ACC. That's why his teams hovered around .500 over the course of his tenure and had a lousy record in conference.

He did seem checked out his last couple of seasons. And I hated that he referred to himself as Gramps with the players. You'd never hear a Saban calling himself that to his players. Just awful on multiple levels.

But he's gone and he made a ton of money. He'll be fine.

Under Dino, we were not what he preached. Occasionally great, not consistently good. Atleast we weren’t consistently bad during his tenure.

Not only that, he had some weird fixation that the team was his team and he was there to protect/cloister them off from fans, the alumni former players, etc.

It was a weird dynamic and not a very cool situation TBH.

Fran is a breath of fresh air in that regard.

Dino was mediocre overall and lower tier for the ACC. That's why his teams hovered around .500 over the course of his tenure and had a lousy record in conference.

He did seem checked out his last couple of seasons. And I hated that he referred to himself as Gramps with the players. You'd never hear a Saban calling himself that to his players. Just awful on multiple levels.

He was a subpar recruiter for a P4 program and it showed.

He could obviously get a good recruit here and there, but he simply could not stock the cupboards with enough P4 talent... couple that with questionable fitness regimens that yielded an unusually high rate of injuries, and the wheels would fly off in the 2nd half of recent seasons, when a large portion of the starters were off the depth chart and FCS-caliber players.

Last edited:
It's not fair to call Dino a bad coach. We've seen a bad coach, up close, from 2005 through 2008. A bad coach doesn't win 10 games or make 3 bowls in 6 years.

But he's gone and he made a ton of money. He'll be fine.
He was definitely mediocre, but he was historically bad at certain things. I still can't get over, year after year, no depth on the QB depth chart, probably the league leader in penalties and if not close, and the sheer inability to manage a clock at the end of halves.

He is probably the worst HC I've seen at managing a clock with 2 minutes to go, although he has a rival down in Blacksburg now :)

Everyone has their pov, which is fine. I’d say P5 is what we’re discussing and he’s proving yet again that he’s not very good. The evidence is not in his favor. A good pee wee coach? I guess.
I already said he wasn’t good p5 HC. You mentioned pee wee level to discredit him. That’s a weird thing to do.

All he did was struggle maintaining success at a program where most coaches struggle at. But keep trying to discredit everything he did if it makes you feel better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom