Dino loses playcalling duties in Arizona | Syracusefan.com

Dino loses playcalling duties in Arizona

Not surprised. I think the guy filled with passion and energy we saw in 2016 isn’t the guy we see today. Hard to know all the reasons, but rule changes to better allow defensive substitutions (and that took his gimmick away), the fiasco of the 2020 season, and simple aging all probably contribute. I know I saw an interview with him at Arizona and thought it was just cliche filled nonsense - my opinion was that he was already mailing it in and the season hasn’t even started.

He really should just ride off into the sunset and enjoy retirement.

Please elaborate.

Just my opinion, but he was a journeyman coach who, with Briles, did some genuinely interesting things with tempo and RPO that fundamentally charged the how college football was played.

This article from Grantland (RIP) really did a good job explaining it at the time, but also makes it very clear it was a Briles innovation

On his own, he was fortunate to inherit some truly great college qbs - Garoppolo, Matt Johnson, and Dungey - that were able to cover up some of his tactical limitations that began to show up once defenses and the rules caught up with the offense

Not surprised. I think the guy filled with passion and energy we saw in 2016 isn’t the guy we see today. Hard to know all the reasons, but rule changes to better allow defensive substitutions (and that took his gimmick away), the fiasco of the 2020 season, and simple aging all probably contribute. I know I saw an interview with him at Arizona and thought it was just cliche filled nonsense - my opinion was that he was already mailing it in and the season hasn’t even started.

He really should just ride off into the sunset and enjoy retirement.
Something happened in the off-season ahead of 2019. His whole demeanor changed noticeably after the 2018 season. I don’t know if the expectations got to him, he regretted not bouncing when his stock was highest, or what. But he was never the same.

Something happened in the off-season ahead of 2019. His whole demeanor changed noticeably after the 2018 season. I don’t know if the expectations got to him, he regretted not bouncing when his stock was highest, or what. But he was never the same.
Many of us regret him not bouncing when his stock was highest

I will say I agree that he has given us teams with actual highlights n between some awful years

This

I watched that game since it was the only one on. Didn’t know Dino wasn’t calling plays but their offense didn’t look good that game either. They kept stalling and settling for FGs. Utah is a good team though. The Arizona defense though was outstanding.

Gee it actually happened sooner than I predicted on this forum. When he was named OC, I knew it wouldn't last long. He doesn't process fast enough (not dumb not a lack of intelligence) But he is and always will be a very poor decision maker when under a time constraint and or pressure. Its why he was horrible at clock management. If I could have bet this in Vegas, I would have bet the house.

This is my belief too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom