Dino talking ball with Mark & Wes this morning at 9:45 ET on SiriusXM | Syracusefan.com

Dino talking ball with Mark & Wes this morning at 9:45 ET on SiriusXM

Show started off with re-run of Dino post game speech.

Dino on speech:
Laughed. Just trying to have some fun and want the kids to enjoy it. Need to move onto the next week now. Dino referenced that Floyd Little won that game in 66 for SU when they beat FSU.

Dino on Dungey getting hurt and tommy coming in:
In the first game, dino said dungy didn't get hurt, we just took him out. For WMU, we wanted tommy to get some burn as he didn't play in two years. In wagner, he thought tommy didn't look bad. For FSU, he graded tommy performance in the B range.

Dino on leaving points on the board in FSU game:
Dino wasn't happy about it. Thought our defense played outstanding. Amazed we almost shut them out. Special teams held their own against athletes like that at FSU. Gives credit to FSU defense especially #99 Burns. FSU will explode soon (in a good way) and glad they didn't explode against us.

Dino on confidence moving forward both team and himself:
No doubt we have confidence but were learning the confidence. No one on our team has played on a winning college football team. Want to give ourselves our chance to win this week. Get the first third of the season done and move onto next phase.

Dino on our defense Saturday:
It was phenomenal. Even though our QB is really, our strength of this team is our OLine and Dline. References eric running for 200 yards in game 1. Challenged team in beginning of season saying thats where we need to win. With slayton, coleman, ruff, black, robinson, took it to heart and wants to be the best unit on team.

Dino on what he's most proud of:
Maturity on how our team has approached each week. We haven't done this before where we zone in on one week. if we keep up this mental attitude, we will be good. Curious to see if we stumble, how we react.

Dino on Joe Morris number being retired and legacy of SU history:
Joe is an amazing man. Told story how when Morris came in everyone wanted him to wear #44 but he wanted #47 to create his own legacy. Dino admired that. And how Morris is #1 rusher in history between Floyd, Jim, Konrad - it is incredibly impressive.

To end the show - Dino wanted to confirm with them that the Beatles were in fact hot in 66, right? Laughed that his players had to google who they were after.

Last edited:
God I love Dino.

I hope (and think) ADJH and the administration realizes he is worth top 20 money ($4mm for him and $4mm for his staff) particularly considering we are +$30mm from TV revenue in addition to the traditional football revenue (tickets, concessions, gear)

In addition to the branding it helps with universities everywhere who win at big time sports. Confirmed by the application rates spiking for every school that has a winning football run.

Last edited:
They had to google The Beatles? What?!?

Babers actually said that he's come to realize that when the kids aren't sure of something they will Google it rather than come and ask him. After they Google it, they'll come back and say "well, coach was right". He didn't specifically say that anyone had to Google the Beatles.

God I love Dino.

I hope (and think) ADJH and the administration realizes he is worth top 20 money ($4mm for him and $4mm for his staff) particularly considering we are +$30mm from TV revenue in addition to the traditional football revenue (tickets, concessions, gear) in addition to the branding it helps with universities everywhere who win at big time sports. Confirmed by the application rates spiking for every school that has a winning football run.
I like Dino and believe Dino will be successful here but people need to pump the brakes a little bit. He was 4-8 in each of his first 2 seasons and is off to a fast start this year. Not so sure this warrants top 20 money for him and his staff yet. Let the season play out and then assess where the program is. I do wish more people would actually go to the games, because at the end of the day, I fear weak fan support may be the main reason that Dino moves on and not because of $$$$.

I like Dino and believe Dino will be successful here but people need to pump the brakes a little bit. He was 4-8 in each of his first 2 seasons and is off to a fast start this year. Not so sure this warrants top 20 money for him and his staff yet. Let the season play out and then assess where the program is. I do wish more people would actually go to the games, because at the end of the day, I fear weak fan support may be the main reason that Dino moves on and not because of $$$$.

Seriously why pump the brakes???? We have had the brakes on for over a freakin decade. I'm tired of all this talk about "not being too hasty" and "pumping the brakes". It is becoming apparent what he is doing and the kids he is getting buy in from. Let's lock him up. We have momentum now GIVE ME THE GAS PEDAL.

Let's GO Cuse

Seriously why pump the brakes???? We have had the brakes on for over a freakin decade. I'm tired of all this talk about "not being too hasty" and "pumping the brakes". It is becoming apparent what he is doing and the kids he is getting buy in from. Let's lock him up. We have momentum now GIVE ME THE GAS PEDAL.

Let's GO Cuse
And more $$$$ guarantees he stays here if successful? Coaches under contract leave all the time for different reasons to pursue other coaching opportunities. The fans need to start better supporting the football program asap or I have a hard time seeing a successful Dino stay here long term regardless of $$$. Just my opinion. Very easy for people to throw around the University's money as it's not their own.

Love Dino. Love beating V Tech, Clemson, FSU!! Do not pump the brakes!! Pay the man!! The foundation has been set! Lets bring this Carrier Dome into the 21st century and keep beating teams like this! Great things await!

Babers actually said that he's come to realize that when the kids aren't sure of something they will Google it rather than come and ask him. After they Google it, they'll come back and say "well, coach was right". He didn't specifically say that anyone had to Google the Beatles.
The Beatles are one of the few pop culture foci who've stayed popular with every generation. My youngest has them on her playlist and she's 11.

And more $$$$ guarantees he stays here if successful? Coaches under contract leave all the time for different reasons to pursue other coaching opportunities. The fans need to start better supporting the football program asap or I have a hard time seeing a successful Dino stay here long term regardless of $$$. Just my opinion. Very easy for people to throw around the University's money as it's not their own.

A couple things. There are no guarantees for anything! You structure the contract as such. No one gets burned. It is easy to spend their money but I don't set the rates. I didn't say he had to be the highest paid coach. Just needs to know we want him to stick around.

Not to mention is it really the university's $$$? Serious question.

Edit Regardless of who's $$$$ it is. What do most people want to do with money they have to insure they get more money......Invest it. I can think of a better investment. He has been on the radio this week for this win. Clemson last year. The speech after the VT win was on the intro to the Mark Packer show the whole football season. Let's go get it done

Last edited:
The Beatles are one of the few pop culture foci who've stayed popular with every generation. My youngest has them on her playlist and she's 11.
Uuhhhggg...the Beatles are horrible. They are bubble gum music. Basically, they are the same as the Archie's.....

You have to be proactive about things otherwise it might not be your choice. They eye test combined with the big wins he's already accumulated is more than enough for me. What else do you want to see? Do you want to wait until he has a 9 win season and then try to extend him when he holds all the chips? Build up good will and offer an extension now.

In order to give us a real chance at securing Dino and his staff we are talking about 4 M more per year tops

Lets assume that equates to only 50k additional fans per year. Based on 100.00 spend per fan SU breaks even or makes a profit on the transaction. Throw in the value of all the free publicity and it is a financial windfall for Syracuse. This is a complete no brainer for SU.

You have to be proactive about things otherwise it might not be your choice. They eye test combined with the big wins he's already accumulated is more than enough for me. What else do you want to see? Do you want to wait until he has a 9 win season and then try to extend him when he holds all the chips? Build up good will and offer an extension now.

Like I previously stated I'm a big Dino fan and think he will be a winner. I like the energy he brings and the exciting offense that he uses.

I want to see consistency. I don't want to see the late season collapses like his first 2 seasons where he lost either 4 or 5 games in a row to end out the season. I don't want to see a dominant defense one week and then a defense who gives up 40+ points to WMU or 76 points to Pitt.

The original premise was to just give Dino 4 million and his staff 4 million a year totaling 8 million a year. I'm guessing that would be close to double what they are paying Dino and staff now. My question was how does 11-16 validate doubling his and staff's salary?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom