Dino's comments after Miami... | Syracusefan.com

Dino's comments after Miami...

orangecuse

Hall of Fame
"I guarantee you people aren't excited about playing us," Babers said. "The four teams that are left, they're not saying, 'Oh goody, here comes Syracuse.'

"I guarantee you that."

Three straight ugly losses since. I hope Dino's categorical "guarantees" if he's bold enough to make them in the future, actually hold some water.

People arent afraid to play zach mahoney... :rolleyes:

Those games arent flukes, if thats what youre suggesting.

Make all the excuses you wish, but he made that statement without any caveat whatsoever (if we stay healthy, etc.) people aren't saying "goody." And, last I checked, Mahoney doesn't play middle linebacker (captain) on D.

Make all the excuses you wish, but he made that statement without any caveat whatsoever (if we stay healthy, etc.) people aren't saying "goody." And, last I checked, Mahoney doesn't play middle linebacker (captain) on D.

So he should have provided a disclaimer, is your argument. “As long as dungey plays, people arent excited to play us.” That would be a great idea.

Also, his statement wasnt necessarily false.

More importantly, should we discuss how nit picky and pointless (moreso dumb) your original post was. Who cares what he said? Doesnt impact anything on the field. Youre acting like he guaranteed three wins.

"I guarantee you people aren't excited about playing us," Babers said. "The four teams that are left, they're not saying, 'Oh goody, here comes Syracuse.'

"I guarantee you that."

Three straight ugly losses since. I hope Dino's categorical "guarantees" if he's bold enough to make them in the future, actually hold some water.

I’m sure he thought ED was going to break his foot when he made those comments as well.

"I guarantee you that."

Not sure about the ugly part. If blown out = ugly than yeah I'll give you yesterday, but the U, FSU, and Wake weren't ugly. The U and FSU were close games deep into the 4th quarter ( I will concede the 2nd half of Wake was indeed ugly ). FWIW i don't think any of them were licking their chops thinking we'd be an easy win like we have been in years past.

The drop off from our starting QB to backup QB is incredibly big. Most important spot on the field, especially given the system we run. Cmon.

So he should have provided a disclaimer, is your argument. “As long as dungey plays, people arent excited to play us.” That would be a great idea.

Also, his statement wasnt necessarily false.

More importantly, should we discuss how nit picky and pointless (moreso dumb) your original post was. Who cares what he said? Doesnt impact anything on the field. Youre acting like he guaranteed three wins.

Opinions vary. If your 'pointless' and 'dumb' remarks make you feel good/better about yourself, have at it. I'm not acting, maybe Dino was when he made those comments though?

Where in my original post did I say he guaranteed 3 wins? I didn't, because Dino didn't make such comments. His "guarantee" implied that no one really wanted to face us as we would be a very tough out, win or lose. That was the premise of my argument. The last two weeks we have been nothing of the sort. Maybe his words were lost in translation amongst his coaches/players. We gave up 21 points in the 1Q to Wake, and were outscored 40-5 in the 2nd half in a demoralizing and lopsided defeat, at home nonetheless. This week, UL scored a TD on their 2nd play from scrimmage in route to over 400 yards rushing and 700 yards in total O in a 56-10 debacle. I can only imagine what those respective stats may have been if UL didn't show mercy in taking out Jackson in the 3Q. I imagine BC and their running back may be thinking just what Dino said, "Oh goody."

Not sure about the ugly part. If blown out = ugly than yeah I'll give you yesterday, but the U, FSU, and Wake weren't ugly. The U and FSU were close games deep into the 4th quarter ( I will concede the 2nd half of Wake was indeed ugly ). FWIW i don't think any of them were licking their chops thinking we'd be an easy win like we have been in years past.

The aforementioned Dino remarks were made after the U game in his presser, so it wasn't related to that game, but with the 4 remaining games after that upcoming bye SU had post U. The FSU game wasn't ugly in the final score, but our play was ugly with the turnovers, penalties, big plays we gave up, missed opportunities, etc. to get a W against a free falling team (crushed by BC the week before and appeared to have quit on its season) which we hadn't beat since the 60's.

The Wake game, I diplomatically disagree per my above remarks. UL...wash, rinse, repeat.

Some posters should stick to Star Wars, where the good guys always win.

Last edited:

"I guarantee you that."

Just because we lost doesn’t make his comment incorrect.

Opinions vary. If your 'pointless' and 'dumb' remarks make you feel good/better about yourself, have at it. I'm not acting, maybe Dino was when he made those comments though?

Where in my original post did I say he guaranteed 3 wins? I didn't, because Dino didn't make such comments. His "guarantee" implied that no one really wanted to face us as we would be a very tough out, win or lose. That was the premise of my argument. The last two weeks we have been nothing of the sort. Maybe his words were lost in translation amongst his coaches/players. We gave up 21 points in the 1Q to Wake, and were outscored 40-5 in the 2nd half in a demoralizing and lopsided defeat, at home nonetheless. This week, UL scored a TD on their 2nd play from scrimmage in route to over 400 yards rushing and 700 yards in total O in a 56-10 debacle. I can only imagine what those respective stats may have been if UL didn't show mercy in taking out Jackson in the 3Q. I imagine BC and their running back may be thinking just what Dino said, "Oh goody."

The aforementioned Dino remarks were made after the U game in his presser, so it wasn't related to that game, but with the 4 remaining games after that upcoming bye SU had post U. The FSU game wasn't ugly in the final score, but our play was ugly with the turnovers, penalties, big plays we gave up, missed opportunities, etc. to get a W against a free falling team (crushed by BC the week before and appeared to have quit on its season) which we hadn't beat since the 60's.

The Wake game, I diplomatically disagree per my above remarks. UL...wash, rinse, repeat.

At the end of the day, the comments matter not. And it wasnt bulletin board material so its not even worth discussing. Now if you want to talk something of substance like the abysmal play the last two games, go for it...

The drop off from our starting QB to backups QB is incredibly big. Most important spot on the field, especially given the system we run. Cmon.

Yep FSU barely beat us, will win 1-2 games more than us and yet they have top 10 talent and we have bottom of the ACC talent. Wonder what happened to them. Oh yeah they lost their QB

You must be a lawyer. Maybe we should add a disclaimer after each press conference that the statements made are forward looking and may not depict actual results. This is one of the most ridiculous threads I've read on here.

"I guarantee you that."

thats-a-clown-question.jpg

There wasn't a question. I guess you must still be in grammar school since you're apparently unable to decipher what is and what isn't.

Just because we lost doesn’t make his comment incorrect.

It wasn't that we lost, but in the manner in which we lost.

The overall reaction to my original post is interesting. Dino made a steadfast guarantee after the Miami loss stating how no foe in our remaining 4 games wanted to see SU in its current form, implying it would be no picnic. The last two weeks we have looked nothing like a team that any opponent would have any fear in playing. That was the premise of my post. And, if Dino is going to make "guarantees" in the future, hopefully it stands up better and is more convincing. That's all. I'm sorry for the thread, feel free to delete it.

There wasn't a question. I guess you must still be in grammar school since you're apparently unable to decipher what is and what isn't.

It wasn't that we lost, but in the manner in which we lost.

The overall reaction to my original post is interesting. Dino made a steadfast guarantee after the Miami loss stating how no foe in our remaining 4 games wanted to see SU in its current form, implying it would be no picnic. The last two weeks we have looked nothing like a team that any opponent would have any fear in playing. That was the premise of my post. And, if Dino is going to make "guarantees" in the future, hopefully it stands up better and is more convincing. That's all. I'm sorry for the thread, feel free to delete it.

Doesn’t matter how we lost either. That’s looking at games in hindsight. His comments were how teams would look at us before the game, not after.

Doesn’t matter how we lost either. That’s looking at games in hindsight. His comments were how teams would look at us before the game, not after.

So, after giving up 21 points in the 1Q to Wake at home, and being outscored 40-5 in the second half, Louisville this week was fretting about how tough it would be facing SU?

The comment I haven't seen discussed was when he said our opponents WR talent should be "coming back to us."

It was a response to a question from SWC75 about our defense before the WF game. Here's the exchange.

"I then asked me question. DB: “If we’d scored 30 a game, (in these last 6 games), this would be a different season. Fortunately, the defense has been holding the other team under 30. The other team’s defense tightens up in the red zone and the throwing areas get narrower. We’ve got to run the football better.” I asked him about getting more out of defense and special teams to help out the offense. DB: “We are working feverishly on drills trying to rip the ball away from guys. We’ve played 4 teams in a row, (he probably meant 6), that have athletes that god made faster than us. We can’t afford to let them get behind us. The last 3 teams are not as athletic and we will be able to get more aggressive.“

He said that he wants to create more turnovers. Higgins said that we are now #1 in the country in stopping the other team on third down. (That’s a turnover of sorts.) Dino: Out defensive line and linebackers are better and our backfield has hung in there through injuries. The receivers will be coming back to us in terms of speed and talent in these next games.”

Did he underestimate the talent of our last couple opponents? Did he underestimate how worn out our guys on defense are? Have we hurt ourselves by being more aggressive?

Last edited:
The comment I haven't seen discussed was when he said our opponents WR talent should be "coming back to us."

It was a response to a question from SWC75 about our defense before the WF game. Here's the exchange.

"I then asked me question. DB: “If we’d scored 30 a game, (in these last 6 games), this would be a different season. Fortunately, the defense has been holding the other team under 30. The other team’s defense tightens up in the red zone and the throwing areas get narrower. We’ve got to run the football better.” I asked him about getting more out of defense and special teams to help out the offense. DB: “We are working feverishly on drills trying to rip the ball away from guys. We’ve played 4 teams in a row, (he probably meant 6), that have athletes that god made faster than us. We can’t afford to let them get behind us. The last 3 teams are not as athletic and we will be able to get more aggressive.“

He said that he wants to create more turnovers. Higgins said that we are now #1 in the country in stopping the other team on third down. (That’s a turnover of sorts.) Dino: Out defensive line and linebackers are better and our backfield has hung in there through injuries. The receivers will be coming back to us in terms of speed and talent in these next games.”

Did he underestimate the talent of our last couple opponents? Did he underestimate how worn out our guys on defense are? Have we hurt ourselves by being more aggressive?

I think he overthought it a bit and hoped our S could do more than they can.

Plus Wake’s WR didn’t kill us - it was TE, RB, and Wolford running. The WR didn’t break free that much.

Louisville is a different beast.

I think he overthought it a bit and hoped our S could do more than they can.

Plus Wake’s WR didn’t kill us - it was TE, RB, and Wolford running. The WR didn’t break free that much.

Louisville is a different beast.
Ok. In the first comment he said athletes. That would include TE, RB, and QB. He underestimated all of them? He included Louisville in his comment, not me.

Why does it even matter with what he said? This is a strange thread.

Touché. I shall now search the internet to find a meme (unlikely involving Bryce Harper like the last, but I haven't abandoned all hope) that more rigorously adheres to both your grammatical authoritarianism and my thoughts that holding our coach to complete prescience in his post-game comments is patently absurd.