Dino's Game 7 Press Conference for Wake | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Game 7 Press Conference for Wake

C) Our coach coming out and saying that all you can do is guess is not a reassuring statement when the recruiting hasn't been that strong.

I'm sure you're aware you've completely mangled what was actually said. The full quote talks about "heart" which is notoriously hard to measure

I'm sure you're aware you've completely mangled what was actually said. The full quote talks about "heart" which is notoriously hard to measure
I stand by my statement. But apparently I have far more of a problem with Babers' statement than anyone else reading this thread, so I will let it die.

The thing that bothered me the most was the doctor comment. “Our doctor gets off his other job and will be around Monday.” Wtfff
I have never been a fan of SUs medical staff. Actually never been a fan of any medical facilities in all of Syracuse.

A) I'm not an idiot and understand that anyone can miss in college football and injuries are a thing.
B) Wisconsin always has an incredible offensive line, Pitt always has a really good DL, BC always seems to have obnoxious bowling balls for running backs. Sure, they all have flaws and weaknesses elsewhere, but seem to find gems year over year at similar positions.
C) Our coach coming out and saying that all you can do is guess is not a reassuring statement when the recruiting hasn't been that strong.
He isn't wrong though.

You can do risk mitigation with all sorts of background checks, crosstalk with HS coaches, and physical and statistical measurables but you can't always judge heart and moxie with background checks and measurable tests.

I saw it play out in the military.

Should we not have him on full time though? I imagine having 100 kids beating each other up would have a full time doctor
I don't think you understand how many patients an orthopedic MD cares for or how much money they make. There is no way they give up their practice to focus solely on a college athletic department.

He isn't wrong though.

You can do risk mitigation with all sorts of background checks, crosstalk with HS coaches, and physical and statistical measurables but you can't always judge heart and moxie with background checks and measurable tests.

I saw it play out in the military.
Again, what people think I'm trying to say and what I'm actually trying to say are two different things. And has led to a rush to explain something to me that I very clearly understand. Please stop trying to explain to me that some guys just don't have it. Not needed.

My point is not "why do we recruit guys and they don't work out?"

My point is that schools in our peer group consistently seem to find enough guys who are both good athletes and are committed to what is being asked of them for the team to go 6-6 at a minimum. It's year 5 of the Babers era, and that hasn't happened here.

For a coach that preaches culture as much as Babers, that's a red flag to me.

He’s simply saying you can’t measure heart and he’s right, you can’t.

When a kid is the best player on the team, in the league, in the section, and an all-stater, everyone is going to say how great he is. No one is going to know what’s in his heart and how hard he’ll work when everyone around him is also a star and the playing field is even.

2 things you can’t measure, what’s between the ears and what’s in the heart.
Why doesn't he just say that then?

"Recruiting is such a turkey shoot. Hardest thing is opening a guy up and seeing what kind of heart he has. That's the one thing we're not able to do in recruiting."

Alabama and Clemson have the resources to perform such surgeries prior to offering.

You just never know how a kid will respond to P5 college football, it's just such a much bigger commitment than some are use to and some take to it some don't. Especially NYS recruits, many of these kids think football from mid August to November. The lineman from NYC is case in point, ton of POTENTIAL but it will never materialize

I think the statement was fine and typical of what you will hear from most anyone out there who is 1-5 which goes back to why I don't much stock as to what comes out of any coaches press conferences. It's all just a bunch of BS

Again, what people think I'm trying to say and what I'm actually trying to say are two different things. And has led to a rush to explain something to me that I very clearly understand. Please stop trying to explain to me that some guys just don't have it. Not needed.

My point is not "why do we recruit guys and they don't work out?"

My point is that schools in our peer group consistently seem to find enough guys who are both good athletes and are committed to what is being asked of them for the team to go 6-6 at a minimum. It's year 5 of the Babers era, and that hasn't happened here.

For a coach that preaches culture as much as Babers, that's a red flag to me.
LMC, not to keep beating this up, but what I hear you saying is the coach not expressing confidence in this aspect of recruiting (evaluating intangibles) gives you pause. I would agree. There has been a marked change in the way Babers has expressed his confidence (or lack thereof) in his staffs ability to evaluate talent over the course of his time here. Simply go back and watch his first two signing day press conferences and contrast that with how he hedges on evaluations today.
I will grant that evaluating talent at the P5 level is extraordinarily difficult, but a coach at this level expressing anything but total confidence in their ability to identify needs and then go out and not only find the talent to address those needs but sign them should give everyone pause.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom