Dino's Week 2 MTSU Press Conference Notes / Depth Chart | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Week 2 MTSU Press Conference Notes / Depth Chart

"It's another really good football team," he said. "It's a really high-powered offense … and defensively they return nine starters, also. It's a good football team and it's going to be a challenge going on the road and playing in the dome up there. We have to have a good week of preparation."
Behind their high-powered passing offense, the Orange pummeled Central Connecticut State 50-7 on Sept. 2. Their ability to spread teams out and move the ball quickly was evident, and is the key focus for Stockstill and the Blue Raiders.
"They'll come into the game and try to spread us out," Stockstill said. "We've got to be ready for tempo, where Vanderbilt was a huddle team … so we've got to be prepared for the speed they'll go at between plays.
"I don't think there's anything we need to change, we just need to go out and execute."

.....Scott Shafer, in his first season as DC at Middle Tennessee, was the defensive coordinator then head coach for the Orange from 2009-2015. While there, he coached new Middle Tennessee linebackers coach Siriki Diabate for three years then gave him his first coaching job as a graduate assistant from 2013-2015.

"[Shafer] told us we'd be best friends for life if we beat Syracuse," Sanders said. "That's some extra motivation for us."

"[Shafer] told us we'd be best friends for life if we beat Syracuse," Sanders said. "That's some extra motivation for us."

Lol. Shafer broke his pencil he circled this game so many times on his calendar. Think he went back over it with pretty colored highlighters and stick on stars?

Yeah Scott, you were done wrong.

Good lord.
Part of me thinks he accepted the position knowing full well he'd get a crack at us. Pretty sure we will see him at UConn next time we meet :)

Big week. Would have rather seen this MTSU team win this past week feeling good about themselves , rather than be on high alert this week cleaning things up and kicking ass in practice. Also, every time i see a depth chart i smirk at our young OL talent and its future given who we have and who is on the way in:) Big week boys! We have an ornery and talented fb team coming into the dome this week. Gonna be a tough one. GO CUSE!

Insert George McDonald's name instead of Dabo's.

fucuse.gif

I've said it before & I'll say it again, I really respected Shafer but this embarrassed me more than any part of the G-Rob Era. Yelling profanity across the field at a coach for "running up" the score...in the FIRST HALF...just pathetic. Especially from a coach who preached #Hardnosed & "lock them in the Dome". I'm still baffled that so many on this board were in agreement & some even thought it optimized the #Hardnosed mentality...it was one of the most un-hardnosed things I've ever witnessed any coach do. I think Scott, as he so often did, let his emotions in the moment get the best of him & regretted it the second he yelled it. Such an embarrassing introduction to a conference rival...they'll always be able to reference it & throw it back in our faces.

I've said it before & I'll say it again, I really respected Shafer but this embarrassed me more than any part of the G-Rob Era. Yelling profanity across the field at a coach for "running up" the score...in the FIRST HALF...just pathetic. Especially from a coach who preached #Hardnosed & "lock them in the Dome". I'm still baffled that so many on this board were in agreement...I think Scott, as he so often did, let his emotions in the moment get the best of him & regretted it the second he yelled it. Such an embarrassing introduction to a conference rival...they'll always be able to reference it & throw it back in our faces.

Don't forget the ISIS comment. Yikes

Don't forget the ISIS comment. Yikes
That was his "little engine that could" speech. So embarrassing. I was never heavily anti-Shafer & kept faith in him as long as I could but I was completely ready to go in a different direction following the ISIS comments.

EDIT: Sorry to hijack this thread, I just get really uncomfortable every time I see that clip/gif.

I've said it before & I'll say it again, I really respected Shafer but this embarrassed me more than any part of the G-Rob Era. Yelling profanity across the field at a coach for "running up" the score...in the FIRST HALF...just pathetic. Especially from a coach who preached #Hardnosed & "lock them in the Dome". I'm still baffled that so many on this board were in agreement & some even thought it optimized the #Hardnosed mentality...it was one of the most un-hardnosed things I've ever witnessed any coach do. I think Scott, as he so often did, let his emotions in the moment get the best of him & regretted it the second he yelled it. Such an embarrassing introduction to a conference rival...they'll always be able to reference it & throw it back in our faces.

Nothing was more embarrassing than all things encompassing GRob's era here. Literally, everything he did or said was humiliating. The football product as we all know was similar to an ungood D3 school. For fock's sake, even ESPN Gameday did a segment on Syracuse and how fall we had fallen in the football world.

I truly enjoyed Shafer, but he was in over his head and made a fatal coaching mistake in hiring George McDonald as his OC. That dude was a fungus on and off the field.

With that being said, I hope we light em up.

I always laughed at the "lock them in the dome" comment, lock them in the dome so teams can score 100 points and everyone can get free tacos? Why the hell did we want the opposing team locked in the dome, the end of the game couldn't come fast enough some games.

The reason why anyone cuts HCSS any slack here is his enthusiasm for the players and the game. Same enthusiasm led to him saying stupid, unprofessional things that - when combined with his product on the field - just underlined how overmatched he was as a coach. And, maybe, he just wasn't getting as much administrative support as we hope HCDB will receive.