Dion decision seen as "puzzling" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dion decision seen as "puzzling"

Its always better to come out a little early (Jonny Flynn got paaaaid)...than to stay too long (Kris Joseph is not going to get paaaaid)
Not a great comparison. Kris Joseph wasn't/isn't going to get paid regardless of what year he came out.

He made the right choice, get on the clock asap to get your second contract
And that is how I propose tht NBA help itself. For every year with less experience (read leaving college early) add a year on to the first contract. This would encourage kids to get more training in college and if they choose not to,allow their NBA "trainer" reep the benefit of their training. ie small maarket teams with eary draft choices get to hang on to their young players longer when the improve, In regular life, the more experience you bring ot your job, even your first one, the better the salary.

And that is how I propose tht NBA help itself. For every year with less experience (read leaving college early) add a year on to the first contract. This would encourage kids to get more training in college and if they choose not to,allow their NBA "trainer" reep the benefit of their training. ie small maarket teams with eary draft choices get to hang on to their young players longer when the improve, In regular life, the more experience you bring ot your job, even your first one, the better the salary.

A better way for the NBA to help itself would be to create a true instructional/minor league where the objective was developing the talent.

A better way for the NBA to help itself would be to create a true instructional/minor league where the objective was developing the talent.

Too costly. Minor league systems for baseball and hockey only work because they are well established. And not all of those franchies work ar break even levels. Host of problems. Also, minor leaguers do not get a lot of extra instructional time. What they get is playing time. In college, players get like 100 hours more instruction/practice a year than pros.

Dion made the right decision, same as Donte & Jonny.
If Wall St or some corporation offered me a 7-figure contract after my soph year, I would've signed no questions asked.
Its only the myopic fan perspective that forgets the number$ being thrown around.
Why stay if there's a chance to work in his chosen profession, for millions of dollars...NOW!
What, because he needs to take more classes, ie; games, in order to improve his "positioning"?
Tennis players, baseball, gymnasts, et al- all leave to pursue careers as teenagers, and not all of them are guaranteed success.
But if they are companies willing to sponsor them as they "develop", they turn pro, even if the vast majority don't pan out.
Why is this any different?
CBB is an audition, a literal resume that these kids present to pro leagues in the hopes of receiving a job offer.
Its no coincidence that PayPalCal is crushing it at UK- he simply offers the best players a chance to highlight their resume. UK is the biggest Job Fair/audition in CBB...and like it or not, cynical or not, that's the new formula for success.

Too costly. Minor league systems for baseball and hockey only work because they are well established. And not all of those franchies work ar break even levels. Host of problems. Also, minor leaguers do not get a lot of extra instructional time. What they get is playing time. In college, players get like 100 hours more instruction/practice a year than pros.

The system is what you make of it. If you believe that minor leaguers don't get as much instructional time as college players (I don't necessarily believe that), that is a fault of the system that has been developed, not an inherent problem that can't be corrected.

The Knicks have 4 guards, who Waiters in half a season will be better then, Baron Davis at end of career,Fields who doesn't belong in the league, doesn't do anything well,Shumpert who isn't a point or good enough as a scorer to be a 2, and Douglass who like Fields doesn't belong in the league. It would be good for the knicks to trade Fields,Shumpert,Douglass for a 1st round pick if they could swing it.

The system is what you make of it. If you believe that minor leaguers don't get as much instructional time as college players (I don't necessarily believe that), that is a fault of the system that has been developed, not an inherent problem that can't be corrected.
Living in a city that has both AAA baseball and highest minor league hockey, I know they do not get as much instruction as college. AAA baseball has at best a head coach, batting coach and a pitching coach if that. Almost all the teams have to use players for a 1st base coach. The only teaching they do is minor tweaking. Playing 6 days a week at least, there is no time. The NBA has a development league mostly to give the guys playing time, not instruction. They have an instruction league, it is the NCAA, why would change their system when TO THEM it ain't broken that much.

The Knicks have 4 guards, who Waiters in half a season will be better then, Baron Davis at end of career,Fields who doesn't belong in the league, doesn't do anything well,Shumpert who isn't a point or good enough as a scorer to be a 2, and Douglass who like Fields doesn't belong in the league. It would be good for the knicks to trade Fields,Shumpert,Douglass for a 1st round pick if they could swing it.

Shumpert is already considered one of the best defenders in the league. Those guys don't grow on trees... he is very much in the Knicks plans long term.

Also, you dont package up your spare parts and get first round picks in return. Thats not how it works in the league. People trade unhappy superstars in the last year of their deal or for bad expiring contracts, thats about it.

Living in a city that has both AAA baseball and highest minor league hockey, I know they do not get as much instruction as college. AAA baseball has at best a head coach, batting coach and a pitching coach if that. Almost all the teams have to use players for a 1st base coach. The only teaching they do is minor tweaking. Playing 6 days a week at least, there is no time. The NBA has a development league mostly to give the guys playing time, not instruction. They have an instruction league, it is the NCAA, why would change their system when TO THEM it ain't broken that much.
Not only is it not broken in the NBA's eyes, it's free. They would love to make it a mandatory two or three years, and I think that would benefit everyone except maybe the elite of the elites like Anthony Davis.

Like it or not, DW has the type of skills to succeed in the nba. The boy can get to the hoop and with more favorable hand checking rules in the nba, DW can easily be a good player. You also can't underestimate the opportunity costs present for the kid if he doesn't come out. As many others have said, he won't have to be the star of the team he goes to and he will have an opportunity to develop. I also think its silly to believe he's not a top 20 pick, but that's me

AAA baseball is like that because that is not where development happens, AA is considered the premier development league, AAA is basically a holding pen for AAAA players and guys waiting for a roster spot to open. AHL hockey is the same, it's a league of fringe players and players waiting for spots, development happens in the Junior leagues. Basketball should not follow these models.

And to the guy who said Joseph wasn't going to get paid any year, you obviously did not see the scouting reports after his Sophomore season. He would have been first round.

And to the guy who said Joseph wasn't going to get paid any year, you obviously did not see the scouting reports after his Sophomore season. He would have been first round.
I don't recall anyone suggesting Joseph should enter the draft after his sophomore year. Everyone talked about him being a first rounder IF he kept improving the way he did between is freshman and sophomore years. Although he's made improvements the last two years, they haven't been to the point of making him a first round pick. The comment was in regards to guys that lose out on money because they stayed too long in school. Joseph doesn't fall into this category.

Jeremy Lin
Iman Shumpert
JR Smith
Baron Davis
Toney Douglas
Mike Bibby
Landry Fields

= 7 guards. I agree, I would like to see the Knicks dump Davis, Bibby, Fields, and Douglas.

Shumpert is a weapon you need to put on guys like Rose, Wade, Allen, Kobe, Westbrook etc.

It would be awesome if the Knicks somehow got Dion and let him be a combo guard off the bench.

Lin is a PG
Smith is a SG
Shumpert and Waiters would be combo guards

I don't recall anyone suggesting Joseph should enter the draft after his sophomore year. Everyone talked about him being a first rounder IF he kept improving the way he did between is freshman and sophomore years. Although he's made improvements the last two years, they haven't been to the point of making him a first round pick. The comment was in regards to guys that lose out on money because they stayed too long in school. Joseph doesn't fall into this category.

This. There was no book out on Joseph yet at that time.

AAA baseball is like that because that is not where development happens, AA is considered the premier development league, AAA is basically a holding pen for AAAA players and guys waiting for a roster spot to open. AHL hockey is the same, it's a league of fringe players and players waiting for spots, development happens in the Junior leagues. Basketball should not follow these models.

Yeah you are right, they are a holding pen, but AA, and A aren't much better. They don't have more coahces, if anything they have less. Each team has roaming instructors but having to visit 3 to 5 levels of teams a year, means that instruction is a minimum. Then NBA is not about to have a system where they have to pay instructors, and players plus what ever other overhead involved without generating at least some revenue to offset the expense and the more games they play, the less intstruction. Again, why set up a sustem that already exists and is FREE.

Yeah you are right, they are a holding pen, but AA, and A aren't much better. They don't have more coahces, if anything they have less. Each team has roaming instructors but having to visit 3 to 5 levels of teams a year, means that instruction is a minimum. Then NBA is not about to have a system where they have to pay instructors, and players plus what ever other overhead involved without generating at least some revenue to offset the expense and the more games they play, the less intstruction. Again, why set up a sustem that already exists and is FREE.

Maybe true with AA, but not of A. A lot of the A level teams are usually near or in the same state as the various teams Spring Training complexes, and those are staffed year round. Just going by the Yankees, everything below AA is near a team facility with full staffing.