Dion projects to Deron Williams in the pros | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dion projects to Deron Williams in the pros

I think a good comparison is Wade actually as far as their games go, both are great and getting in the lane and penetrating, both obviously have the ability to pass very well but are more comfortable scoring, both are good range shooters but not spectacular. I think its hard to say because he is a sophomore basically getting big minutes for the first time in his career, but Dion can be a great NBA player, if I had a pick in the 16-25 range this year and got him I would feel like I won the lottery

Obviously Wade is light-years ahead of Waiters right now, but I honestly think Dion can be a stud NBA star for many years, his game is one that translates better to the pro game IMO than any other player on this years roster

The NBA often drafts guys on potential but I really believe that he needs to step up his game and show a little more consistency against our better opponents if he is to be drafted. When the draft rolls around I feel like drafting teams are going to reevaluate him and come to the conclusion (i) we've seen him for two years.....he is what he is, (ii) he was a terrific and dynamic scorer against weaker competition, but wasn't able to do it so much against better more physical opponents (iii) there is not as much upside as the early season buzz suggested.
I think this part of your post is pretty accurate. Dion really needs to finish the season strongly because, for the most part, he has been playing his way down the draft board as the level of competition has gotten better. If you only watched his last 10 games, you'd have to wonder what all the hype is about.

However, I do think he will be drafted based on his skill set and upside but would be shocked if he went higher than late in the first round. And from what I can gather, it seems the likelihood of him returning is very small.

Geez, I know I'll probably piss a lot of people off, but I see him as really overrated by us right now.

He is not a terrific distributor, clearly a me first style of play. Could he become a better distributor? Sure, but he needs to actually do it, not just have the potential to do it. He has a mediocre outside shot, that he takes too often. He can get to the rim, but I feel like he has had a tough time finishing when guarded.

The NBA often drafts guys on potential but I really believe that he needs to step up his game and show a little more consistency against our better opponents if he is to be drafted. When the draft rolls around I feel like drafting teams are going to reevaluate him and come to the conclusion (i) we've seen him for two years.....he is what he is, (ii) he was a terrific and dynamic scorer against weaker competition, but wasn't able to do it so much against better more physical opponents (iii) there is not as much upside as the early season buzz suggested.

If I were a betting man, I would put money on him being back next year unless he has a really strong, almost dominant finish to the year. I suggest that he may be back assuming if he isn't going to be a 1st rounder he'll be back. It's possible he goes out the Devo/Paul Harris door too...not really sure where his head is at.

He just torched Uconn...

I think Dion can play like that new Asian guy on the Knicks (sorry, blanking on the name).

Tony Allen.

Athletic and explosive, kind of stupid, doesn't shoot too well, but can take it to the hoop.

Poor man's Ben Gordon

Good comparison. Except Gordon can shoot lights out. 40% career from 3. But similar size and game.

Basically, at his size, he needs to develop significant PG skills or become a much better shooter. Right now he's an average PG. An average shooter. A year exclusuvely at the point in college could help. The NBA isn't gonna hold his hand. If ur picked in the 20's, you are on a short leash.

Tony Allen.

Athletic and explosive, kind of stupid, doesn't shoot too well, but can take it to the hoop.
I see a little Tony Allen. Tony might be a little more athletically explosive, Dion is a better finisher and better shooter (not saying much). The guy I see is Rodney Stuckey. Which is to say an adequate combo guard. Can handle the point in a pinch, can score, play some d, but isn't great at anything.

I see a little Tony Allen. Tony might be a little more athletically explosive, Dion is a better finisher and better shooter (not saying much). The guy I see is Rodney Stuckey. Which is to say an adequate combo guard. Can handle the point in a pinch, can score, play some d, but isn't great at anything.
The other reason I say Allen is because I can see Dion becoming a very good defender in the NBA, like Tony was. Also don't see Dion being a combo guard. He'll be a 2 or be out of the league quickly as a 1.

The other reason I say Allen is because I can see Dion becoming a very good defender in the NBA, like Tony was. Also don't see Dion being a combo guard. He'll be a 2 or be out of the league quickly as a 1.
Yeah agree he isn't a 1. But he is a lot closer than TA...

Yeah agree he isn't a 1. But he is a lot closer than TA...
Very true. I hated when the Celts used to play him at the 1. No player made me throw more stuff in my house than Tony.

Very true. I hated when the Celts used to play him at the 1. No player made me throw more stuff in my house than Tony.
I loved TA though. Played so hard...but yeah, not exactly a 'floor general'

I can't see Dion surviving as a 2 unless his jumper dramatically improves. Which is possible. But most NBA 2's are bigger. Or they can shoot. Or both.

Guys with similar size to Dion, Tony Allen (great D), Shannon Brown (absurd athlete), Ben Gordon (great shooter), Monta Ellis (great shooter). What will Dion do great so that he lasts as a small 2? Much less make him worth a high pick?

People were closer with the Wade comparisons than the Deron Williams comparison.

Honestly the guy he reminds me most of is Kevin Durant.
I had to read that twice because at first I thought you were serious!

44cuse

Dion has a touch of Steve Francis in him who in his prime had a touch of Jordan in him. (6'3 wiki)
"Dion has more confidence then everyone in this room"-JB

Just watched the whole thing. Holy crap!

But in college Deron played 2 guard to Dee Brown's point. I think everyone is confusing what Dion does today versus what he would be asked to do in the NBA. I do agree he's a scorer, it will be interesting to see if he can tone that down in the pros because if he's going to start its going to be as a point guard.

They both played the 1 and 2. Illinois was really versatile with those two. Both handled the ball equally and made plays. Luther Head was the true SG on that team with a bunch of guys who could shoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom