Dion Waiters 2012 NBA shooting chart | Syracusefan.com

Dion Waiters 2012 NBA shooting chart

Is that Steve Novak's chart shot, or Dion's?

I can't believe how many jumpers he is taking. Get in the lane young gun!

Is that Steve Novak's chart shot, or Dion's?

I can't believe how many jumpers he is taking. Get in the lane young gun!

Well as the article and shot chart points out, he isn't making his shots in the lane, so I guess you might as well fire up jumpers lol.

In today's PS they did a comparison chart on Dion's numbers from SU vs his numbers at Cleveland

Games---37----17
Started---0----17
Minutes 24.1--32
Points---12.6--15.2
Assists---2.5--3.4
TO's-----1.3---1.9
Reb's-----2.3---2.3
Steal's----1.8---1.2
FG %-----47.6--36.3
3 Pt FG% 36.3--35.5
FT % -----72.9--78

In today's PS they did a comparison chart on Dion's numbers from SU vs his numbers at Cleveland

Games---37----17
Started---0----17
Minutes 24.1--32
Points---12.6--15.2
Assists---2.5--3.4
TO's-----1.3---1.9
Reb's-----2.3---2.3
Steal's----1.8---1.2
FG %-----47.6--36.3
3 Pt FG% 36.3--35.5
FT % -----72.9--78

He is struggling to finish over the NBA size and athleticism at the rim. He needs to work on drawing more fouls.

Needs to draw more fouls for sure.

Gotta get that FG% up. Not very good.

I guess if we were doing a upside/downside of Dion's first 17 games...

Upside:
He's been a solid contributor overall - as mostly a spotty jump shooter, which is not his strong suit.
He seems to understand the principals of good offense and creating offense, now he just needs to convert.
He passes the eye test on the court, seems to belong.

Downside:
He looks slower than most 2 guards in the league
He doesn't have that D Wade burst to the rim like we thought he might (so far)
If he is going to be a guy who takes mostly 15+ feet jump shots, he will probably never be a 42%+ shooter in the league, which makes him inefficient for a successful NBA team.
He hasn't shown any interest in helping on the boards or running back in transition D, which can get you on the bench in a hurry if you are always leaking out.

LOL! Wow we have some big critics here! The guys statistics are better in almost every category except field-goal percentage and people are disappointed??? He's a rookie in the NBA, I'm pretty happy about his statistics!

LOL! Wow we have some big critics here! The guys statistics are better in almost every category except field-goal percentage and people are disappointed??? He's a rookie in the NBA, I'm pretty happy about his statistics!

His field goal percentage is terrible which does not bode well for a 2 guard in the NBA.

His field goal percentage is terrible which does not bode well for a 2 guard in the NBA.

Not to mention his numbers have actually gone down for the most part. He's just getting more minutes.

The fact of the matter is that he's looked like an awful defender, doesn't rebound, and isn't scoring efficiently.

I guess if we were doing a upside/downside of Dion's first 17 games...

Upside:
He's been a solid contributor overall - as mostly a spotty jump shooter, which is not his strong suit.
He seems to understand the principals of good offense and creating offense, now he just needs to convert.
He passes the eye test on the court, seems to belong.

Downside:
He looks slower than most 2 guards in the league
He doesn't have that D Wade burst to the rim like we thought he might (so far)
If he is going to be a guy who takes mostly 15+ feet jump shots, he will probably never be a 42%+ shooter in the league, which makes him inefficient for a successful NBA team.
He hasn't shown any interest in helping on the boards or running back in transition D, which can get you on the bench in a hurry if you are always leaking out.

He has the burst, I just don't think he's figured out how to properly use it within the confines of the NBA game. I think improving his passing ability will help. It seems like once he gets into the lane, the shot is going up no matter what. NBA defenses learn these tendencies, and if that's what he's doing, they will just collapse the defense on him and force him to take crappy shots. I think eventually he will adjust though, and that % will go up. As for defense and rebounding...who knows...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom