Director's Cup Standings | Syracusefan.com

Director's Cup Standings

jekelish

Living Legend
This has been posted in the Olympic Sports forum, but damnit, this is a massive deal and more people need to pay attention than the small number who venture into that forum: http://syracusefan.com/threads/learfield-directors-cup-fall-standings.83850/

Syracuse, for the first time EVER, is currently ranked #1 in the NACDA Learfield Director's Cup standings.

That means that, as of right now, we're the top overall athletics department IN THE NATION based on the early fall results.

Say what you want about Dr. Gross, but man, this is absolutely light years away from where we were before he got here. This is a pretty remarkable achievement.

This is only counting Women's Field hockey, and Men's/Women's XC. All 3 sports that Syracuse excelled at.
I am glad we are first but a small dose of realism it is not going to last once the full winter sports season ends.

However, congrats to the SU women's XC/Field Hockey teams and men's XC teams.

Good stuff, Go Cuse!
Anchorman.gif

This is only counting Women's Field hockey, and Men's/Women's XC. All 3 sports that Syracuse excelled at.
I am glad we are first but a small dose of realism it is not going to last once the full winter sports season ends.

However, congrats to the SU women's XC/Field Hockey teams and men's XC teams.
Well the fact that we also had such a successful men's soccer season certainly won't hurt our standing.

This has been posted in the Olympic Sports forum, but damnit, this is a massive deal and more people need to pay attention than the small number who venture into that forum: http://syracusefan.com/threads/learfield-directors-cup-fall-standings.83850/

Syracuse, for the first time EVER, is currently ranked #1 in the NACDA Learfield Director's Cup standings.

That means that, as of right now, we're the top overall athletics department IN THE NATION based on the early fall results.

Say what you want about Dr. Gross, but man, this is absolutely light years away from where we were before he got here. This is a pretty remarkable achievement.
this a nothing but a nice way of telling me we arent getting a new football coach.

this a nothing but a nice way of telling me we arent getting a new football coach.
While I don't disagree, I would think the bigger reason we aren't getting a new football coach is that it's only year two. I don't know that this coaching staff can actually get the job done, but I'm not sure any AD in the country will fire a guy after only two seasons, particularly at a school that hasn't had a ton of sustained success in the last 15 years anyway, so it's not like we're trying to maintain some high standard. I mean hell, Greg Robinson got four seasons. Shafer is sure as hell gonna get at least a third.

Let me add, that I am not trying to downplay the 4 teams who excelled this year for SU. Credit to them, but it does kind of make you wonder what is going on at Manley in terms of the finances

counting 3 sports . . . that's a little like winning the vote in Dixville Notch on election night, isn't it?

that's laying it on quite thick. SU finished between 61-100 every year in the five years before Gross arrived; now they seem to be sitting consistently in the 40-60 zone. An improvement to be sure, but "light years" and "remarkable" are a bit much. "Better" and "competent" are the appropriate terms.

I'll admit I'm biased - I have always thought Gross is overrated. But he did accomplish the one thing that absolutely had to be done: get into a stable, power conference. It's actually amazing that got done after the damage he inflicted on the football program.

Well the fact that we also had such a successful men's soccer season certainly won't hurt our standing.

Actually Stanford will pass us because their women's soccer team is in the Final Four.

If this is true, Gross needs to go.

What if the reason why they are running a deficit for this fiscal year is cash outlays for the IPF? As of today, we still don't know where the money came from to pay for the IPF. There is no indication that it came from large donors or debt. Maybe they used the ACC money, as many of us have been yelling about, to pay for the IPF.

Also, what is SU's fiscal year? Hard to determine the cause of the deficit without knowing that first.

Lastly, remember earlier this year we severed our contract with the branding and media partner we had (forgot the name). It was a few months before a new contract was put in place. That had to impact cash flow.

According to that report, it has not been paid and will not be paid early as they were originally expecting.
Despite reports to the contrary,SBC was informed the Athletic Department has not received significant additional revenues from inclusion in the ACC beyond what was budgeted. As a consequence, there does not appear to be additional funds to pay back the Big East exit fee earlier in this year’s budget.

I took this to mean that additional revenues had been budgeted, that would have allowed them to pay back the exit fee earlier than expected. I also thought we were paying installments. Again, I interpreted this as just saying they would not be able to pay it off earlier than they had budgeted.

What about the 5 million dollars from MetLife? Was that not budgeted in as well?

orange79 said:
Despite reports to the contrary,SBC was informed the Athletic Department has not received significant additional revenues from inclusion in the ACC beyond what was budgeted. As a consequence, there does not appear to be additional funds to pay back the Big East exit fee earlier in this year’s budget.

I took this to mean that additional revenues had been budgeted, that would have allowed them to pay back the exit fee earlier than expected. I also thought we were paying installments. Again, I interpreted this as just saying they would not be able to pay it off earlier than they had budgeted.

Okay. I took your original post to mean you thought we fully paid the exit fee.

It's great that we're doing so well in the Director's Cup, but we're giving up a lot of money to do so.

$350k for a tennis coach is a absolute joke.

It's great that we're doing so well in the Director's Cup, but we're giving up a lot of money to do so.

$350k for a tennis coach is a absolute joke.
I think we can pretty much guarantee this won't be happening again. Unless Gary Gait asks for a raise. ;)

texascpa said:
What if the reason why they are running a deficit for this fiscal year is cash outlays for the IPF? As of today, we still don't know where the money came from to pay for the IPF. There is no indication that it came from large donors or debt. Maybe they used the ACC money, as many of us have been yelling about, to pay for the IPF. Also, what is SU's fiscal year? Hard to determine the cause of the deficit without knowing that first. Lastly, remember earlier this year we severed our contract with the branding and media partner we had (forgot the name). It was a few months before a new contract was put in place. That had to impact cash flow.

SU FY is July 1-June 30.

Last edited:

Athletics is only paying 2.5 million of the BE exit fee and according to that report, not only can they not pay that, but they expect a deficit for this fiscal year. It leads to a lot more questions I would think...