Director's Cup Standings | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Director's Cup Standings

Lawrinson14 said:
If this is true, Gross needs to go.

Not the first time. We've been in the red other years too.

texascpa said:
According to that report, it has not been paid and will not be paid early as they were originally expecting.

It's also been charged to all departments at SU, not just the AD.

Alsacs said:
This is only counting Women's Field hockey, and Men's/Women's XC. All 3 sports that Syracuse excelled at. I am glad we are first but a small dose of realism it is not going to last once the full winter sports season ends. However, congrats to the SU women's XC/Field Hockey teams and men's XC teams.

Congrats to TGD, but this is a press release announcing your winning a game at the under 16:00 tv timeout.

Alsacs said:
What about the 5 million dollars from MetLife? Was that not budgeted in as well?

Sure, but not $5m.

Full_Rebar said:
Athletics is only paying 2.5 million of the BE exit fee and according to that report, not only can they not pay that, but they expect a deficit for this fiscal year. It leads to a lot more questions I would think...

Yep. I believe part of the exit fee has been paid. The part that was collected from all the other departments at SU.

Sure, but not $5m.
By now you know I am saying 5million from MetLife because it is obvious that figure is not true and Giansante/Gross are playing PR with the claim.

If we get 5 million per MetLife game then we couldn't be running in the red without horrible mismanagement.

According to that report, it has not been paid and will not be paid early as they were originally expecting.
Part of it was paid with bowl proceeds, I thought.

Well the fact that we also had such a successful men's soccer season certainly won't hurt our standing.

But we lost to GTown. Doesn't that negate all good from the season, if not the world?

There are things TGD can be criticized for, chief among them the damage to our "brand" in football, but the improvement in our overall athletics department has been great.

Not saying the Director's Cup is the be-all and end-all, but using our standings there:

Prior to TGD

99-00 -- 61
00-01 -- 92
01-02 -- 65
02-03 -- 76
03-04 -- 98
04-05 - not in Top 100

Even giving the best placement of 101 for that latter year, average placement 82.2, with a downhill trajectory

Two and a half years after TGD began

08-09 -- 63
09-10 -- 57
10-11 -- 61
11-12 -- 50
12-13 -- 39
13-14 -- 53

Average placement 53.8, with an upward trajectory.

Obviously Director's Cup standings alone will not keep his job safe. Sound fiscal management and improvement of football are needed. Time will tell if he can master those two things in the same way he has greatly improved our overall athletics reputation.

Cheers,
Neil

There are things TGD can be criticized for, chief among them the damage to our "brand" in football, but the improvement in our overall athletics department has been great.

Not saying the Director's Cup is the be-all and end-all, but using our standings there:

Prior to TGD

99-00 -- 61
00-01 -- 92
01-02 -- 65
02-03 -- 76
03-04 -- 98
04-05 - not in Top 100

Even giving the best placement of 101 for that latter year, average placement 82.2, with a downhill trajectory

Two and a half years after TGD began

08-09 -- 63
09-10 -- 57
10-11 -- 61
11-12 -- 50
12-13 -- 39
13-14 -- 53

Average placement 53.8, with an upward trajectory.

Obviously Director's Cup standings alone will not keep his job safe. Sound fiscal management and improvement of football are needed. Time will tell if he can master those two things in the same way he has greatly improved our overall athletics reputation.

Cheers,
Neil

I'm thrilled and all that Syracuse is doing so well in the Director's Cup, but unfortunately none of those sports pay the bills.

I'm thrilled and all that Syracuse is doing so well in the Director's Cup, but unfortunately none of those sports pay the bills.

A successful football program had more weight and importance when we weren't in a stable conference. If one views the ACC as a stable conference, which some may not, the reality is even mediocre football helps pay the bills, particularly when we have one of the best money generating basketball programs in the country.

Cheers,
Neil

While I don't disagree, I would think the bigger reason we aren't getting a new football coach is that it's only year two. I don't know that this coaching staff can actually get the job done, but I'm not sure any AD in the country will fire a guy after only two seasons, particularly at a school that hasn't had a ton of sustained success in the last 15 years anyway, so it's not like we're trying to maintain some high standard. I mean hell, Greg Robinson got four seasons. Shafer is sure as hell gonna get at least a third.
We were, (4-8,8-5,5-7 = 17-20), and that's 2 losing seasons out of 3 we didn't fire him, in a much weaker conference, and 6-15 in the league, (the real games).