Disagree Completely with Those Who Think Dino Looks “Comfortable” | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Disagree Completely with Those Who Think Dino Looks “Comfortable”

Better programs than us have struggled to consistently get passing QBs. IMO it is way easier to consistently get a dual threat guy than a pocket passer. I think there are more Terrel Hunts out there than Ryan Nassibs. It is what we traditional did here.
Agree. The question is whether Shrader is a dual-threat.

If we play 2 competitive games, I think he deserves to come back even at 5-7.

If he does come back I would love to see him get a new OC that fits a running QB, and schemes WRs open vs being heavy in option routes or asking the WRs to beat their man. That is what you need to run here at SU long term. And given our roster it fits short term as well.

I would also love to see him get an experienced quality STC. Too many teams lack STs focus. That is where we can have a competitive advantage. SU did that under P. Rutgers does it under Schiano. VA Tech built a program with it.

If both of these moves are made then I would have some faith that Dino could turn things around.
I've never understood what schemes wr open means

It's sounds magical to me

Can't defenses scheme wr not open?

Agree. The question is whether Shrader is a dual-threat.
He made the VA Tech TD throw and the Clemson TD throw. He has it in him.

I think we should:

Use Cooper in the slot. Give him a few runs, throw a few bubbles, and send him on a few deep seems. That will help keep the D more honest.

I move Jackson outside. Have him run a few slants, a few deep posts, and a few digs. This will help keep the D more honest.

I use Alford and Gadsden as the other outside WR. Have run deep sideline a few times a game. Shrader struggles with this throw but the threat should keep the D honest.

Benson needs some targets. Have him run curls, flats, and a few wheel routes.

Our pass catchers are not the best in the world but I do not think we use them correctly which makes the situation even worse.

We have had a punt blocked and a kick blocked when Lustig was here, and when we had the best or near the best special teams in the country.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying special teams are not important. I definitely want to see our best athletes on the special teams units, I definitely want to have great coverage and return teams. I am pretty sure even punters who have kicked an alarming number of low, short punts designed to be returned for TDs, we are doing well with punt coverage. The same applies for KO return coverage. We don't have a guy who can boom it through the end zone every time but we are doing well with our KO coverage.

I believe if Lustig had stayed, we would see little or no difference in our special teams performance this year. Maybe a few less penalties, but we have had issues with our special teams making too many penalties for years.

I would rather focus on getting more production out of our WRs (maybe evaluating them better too). Or getting our offense straightened out. Or figuring out how to stop the run without having to put our CBs on an island every play.

Those are few bigger issues that will make a far bigger impact on the bottom line. IMHO.
so basically all aspects of the team:)

I've never understood what schemes wr open means

It's sounds magical to me

Can't defenses scheme wr not open?
There is plenty you can do on O.

Putting an emphasis on the route tree and route running will help get guys open. If the D is playing zone there will be holes in the zone. If the D is playing man you can create a mismatch. Every team has a weak link in pass coverage. Bunch formations are nearly impossible for NFL Ds to cover. Play action can create space either deep middle or behind the LBs.

Our passing concepts IMO are way too simplistic. And the option routes while great in theory take too much thinking for both WR and QB. It is like a read and react D. Every now and then it will work but you are more likely to see a sack than a big play.

Frankly, I think the special teams coach is really overblown. A special teams coach will impact the return and kick coverage game. We have actually been pretty solid in both components.

Place kicking and punting are specialty skills that a traditional special teams coordinator won't impact much.

In other words, you need the talent. I guess one could say that the QB, WR, & CB positions are specialty skills where talent trumps everything else as well? A QB has to have the skill set to throw the ball, etc., WR's need speed and solid hand/eye coordination & CB's need a specific degree of athletic talent as well.

There appears to be direct causation between our typical recruiting rankings and where we typically place in the football universe as well as our league. Go figure. However, there are folks here that simply dismiss and or diss those pundits conducting the rankings, etc.

In the end, "you need the Jimmy's and the Joe's." :)

Last edited:
During the post game interview. To me, he looks like a guy who has been told “win 6 games or else.” Keep in mind that it’s Wildhack’s butt on the line here as well. (Wildhack saying to himself - “It’s my butt or his, and I guarantee it’s not my butt!)

Furthermore, his comments suggest that he trusted his offensive & defensive coordinators to come up with suitable game plans and they didn’t. (Management 101 - delegate, but make sure they are actually doing what they are supposed to do.)

Doesn’t really matter, as it only gets harder from here. It will take a super human effort for this team to beat NC State or Pitt. Possible as it always is in college football, but unlikely.

That being said, I would guess Wildhack is delving into his address book as we speak.

I would hope the head coach would look disgusted/uncomfortable after scoring 3 points against a team giving up 30 a game and losing by 38 points.

I would hope the head coach would look disgusted/uncomfortable after scoring 3 points against a team giving up 30 a game and losing by 38 points.
You know, I heard his interview on WAER before the game and he said something along the lines of Louisville is a really good team and we hope to keep the score close and pull some 4th quarter magic and come out with the win. After the game he said the score was 21-3 before the end of the 1st quarter and we were trying to play catch-up. Seems to me the game plan going in was to try and keep it close and that was blown up pretty quickly. His attitude on the sidelines might have been a result of that.

In other words, you need the talent. I guess one could say that the QB, WR, & CB positions are specialty skills where talent trumps everything else as well? A QB has to have the skill set to throw the ball, etc., WR's need speed and solid hand/eye coordination & CB's need a specific degree of athletic talent as well.

There appears to be direct causation between our typical recruiting rankings and where we typically place in the football universe as well as our league. Go figure. However, there are folks here that simply dismiss and or diss those pundits conducting the rankings, etc.

In the end, "you need the Jimmy's and the Joe's." :)

Maybe he could borrow Jimmy Boeheim and Joe Girard from the basketball team.

You know, I heard his interview on WAER before the game and he said something along the lines of Louisville is a really good team and we hope to keep the score close and pull some 4th quarter magic and come out with the win. After the game he said the score was 21-3 before the end of the 1st quarter and we were trying to play catch-up. Seems to me the game plan going in was to try and keep it close and that was blown up pretty quickly. His attitude on the sidelines might have been a result of that.

Trying to keep it close sounds like a Marrone game plan, except that was a game plan against the SEC or USC.

Can't we just hire Jeff Monken and triple option the piss out of the ball?!?!
If Dino survives this season we as fans can expect the same results UNLESS he replaces Gilbert. Offensive stats don't lie and to put all the blame on Shrader's arm strength is ridiculous. We know that Dino hired Gilbert because they coached together before. However, he has had NO success as an OC anywhere else. Dino, please bring someone in that has THEIR own scheme that fits GS skill sets.

If we play 2 competitive games, I think he deserves to come back even at 5-7.

If he does come back I would love to see him get a new OC that fits a running QB, and schemes WRs open vs being heavy in option routes or asking the WRs to beat their man. That is what you need to run here at SU long term. And given our roster it fits short term as well.

I would also love to see him get an experienced quality STC. Too many teams lack STs focus. That is where we can have a competitive advantage. SU did that under P. Rutgers does it under Schiano. VA Tech built a program with it.

If both of these moves are made then I would have some faith that Dino could turn things around.
Just curious, but what do you think he has done to "deserve" to come back? Outside of one Eric Dungey season, what has been positive about Dino's tenure?

I just wish he would cut it out with the family talk. It feels like a buzzword that a middle management type would use when they don’t actually know what they’re talking about. They’re not a family, they’re a football team. If the results aren’t there, the transfer portal and unemployment line will prove so (eventually). The buzzwords and coach speech stuff are fine when we’re winning, but ring hollow after getting blown out.
Yes, you're right about this.
Besides, who in your family has entered the the “Other Parents“ portal?

Can't we just hire Jeff Monken and triple option the piss out of the ball?!?!
Only if we stop playing games in the Dome and start using Syracuse weather to our advantage against out schedule full of southern teams

Nothing. At any other school he would be gone if he doesnt get to 6 wins.
I agree and I don't think JW makes a move. I don't think he wants to pay the buyout.

I think that JW told Dino after last year that he has to get to a bowl this year by winning at least 6 games. If we look good/competitive the next 2 games but lose maybe he makes an exception to the 6 wins and gives Dino another year (but only if he thinks Dino is long term). If Dino is not the one to guide Orange, make the decision sooner rather than later. Just my opinion.

I think that JW told Dino after last year that he has to get to a bowl this year by winning at least 6 games. If we look good/competitive the next 2 games but lose maybe he makes an exception to the 6 wins and gives Dino another year (but only if he thinks Dino is long term). If Dino is not the one to guide Orange, make the decision sooner rather than later. Just my opinion.
I disagree about JW and think Dino will be back , but I agree that if you don't think he's the one, the sooner the better, for recruiting purposes. The current class looks shaky, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. If you bring back Dino as a lame duck, the next class will be worse, making it more difficult for the next coach.

There is plenty you can do on O.

Putting an emphasis on the route tree and route running will help get guys open. If the D is playing zone there will be holes in the zone. If the D is playing man you can create a mismatch. Every team has a weak link in pass coverage. Bunch formations are nearly impossible for NFL Ds to cover. Play action can create space either deep middle or behind the LBs.

Our passing concepts IMO are way too simplistic. And the option routes while great in theory take too much thinking for both WR and QB. It is like a read and react D. Every now and then it will work but you are more likely to see a sack than a big play.
Dino doesn't even have an actual play book. Again hopefully it was the flu. The ville game was a complete joke. Total lack of preparation and effort. Lets see if the mana is strong on Saturday.

Wildhack went on record saying goal for this season was to get back to playing competitive football. Anyone who thinks we haven’t met that goal has a very short term memory. I certainly won’t be satisfied with another sub .500 record, and there is a long way to go to get back to the levels we reached in the late 80s and 90s, but we clearly took a step forward this year and with a young nucleus at all position groups except D Line there is reason for optimism.

That, combined with the financial realities relegates any talk of replacing Dino to Internet babble.