Disturbing trend | Syracusefan.com

Disturbing trend

Crusty

Living Legend
Teams know they can run on us so they dominate the clock in the early going keeping us off the field. Add that we can't run the ball which allows them to make us one dimensional and our best weapons get neutralized.
We have only mustered only 7 points in 45 first quarter minutes versus 21 for opponents.
If we can't find a run game this will happen every week.

Teams know they can run on us so they dominate the clock in the early going keeping us off the field. Add that we can't run the ball which allows them to make us one dimensional and our best weapons get neutralized.
We have only mustered only 7 points in 45 first quarter minutes versus 21 for opponents.
If we can't find a run game this will happen every week.

Wolhabaugh, Cruz, Moeolo, and Miller are on the bench. If the problem is inside replace the guard(s), if the biggest issue is Washington’s quickness sit him or move him inside.

There are options.

We had the ball for 27 minutes
And with all that very good chance McCord doesn’t force that ball to Meeks good chance SU wins. Or any of a handful of the plays/ calls go the other way.

Lots of things should have been fixed by now. One arm and bump tackle attempts need to stop. 3 man rush isn't working. O line has big issues. Fran needs to be looking at staff closely and if they aren't getting it done, he needs to upgrade quickly.

Wolhabaugh, Cruz, Moeolo, and Miller are on the bench. If the problem is inside replace the guard(s), if the biggest issue is Washington’s quickness sit him or move him inside.

There are options.
Certainly appears to be the inside.

And with all that very good chance McCord doesn’t force that ball to Meeks good chance SU wins. Or any of a handful of the plays/ calls go the other way.

Pretty much, or the Jobity call or whatever.

Re - watching that last completion the degree of difficulty on that catch was crazy high. Still think we should've rushed more and thrown off the timing a hair (which is all it would've took) but reading this place you'd think they threw a lollipop between the hashes.

Giving up 19 should be enough to win.

Why we aren’t rotating some guys on OL is beyond me

we were warned about the OL coach from Purdue fans…

Concerning to me that our OL coach saw film on Washington and felt that he was a MUST add and said that was the guy “he wanted”.
You don’t rotate offensive line.

You do when they are playing like Washington and Spoon were

You get those guys out of there. They were revolving doors last night.

Washington is a liability
I think he's saying you just sit him down, it's not a rotation to get benched

My biggest concern is the defense. Sure we hold them back in the second half until the last drive and obviously the pick 6 is on the offense.

But the inability to get off the field on 3rd down, stopping the run has been a problem and getting minimal pressure.

My problem is Elijah Robinsons and Frans inability to adjust after 3 games and a bye week now. Like that is a major red flag and you can’t blame that on being a first year head coach. They both have been coaching defense for over a decade they should be able to adjust after 3 games and a bye week. Yet our defense still gets no pressure. For WHATEVER reason Robinson almost always only rushes 3-4 guys with no pressure. There were a couple times last night that were straight up embarrassing when dline were all trying to make moves and ended up all just running into each other…all 3 or 4 of our guys literally ran into each other. That should never happen. So we only rush 3-4 guys so our 7 to 8 guys in coverage should be able to prevent a completed pass which they did a few times but then on a couple big plays they let up a first down or for instance the last drive we let their best player catch a pass ONE ON ONE when we dropped 8 guys in coverage. That’s just horrendous coaching. If Elijah keeps the play calling and no adjustments up like this for another few games, I’d say by game 6 or 7 then that’s criminal and I’d seen enough to know he’s not ready to be a DC at this level yet. Really disappointed in him so far and had high expectations

My biggest concern is the defense. Sure we hold them back in the second half until the last drive and obviously the pick 6 is on the offense.

But the inability to get off the field on 3rd down, stopping the run has been a problem and getting minimal pressure.

My problem is Elijah Robinsons and Frans inability to adjust after 3 games and a bye week now. Like that is a major red flag and you can’t blame that on being a first year head coach. They both have been coaching defense for over a decade they should be able to adjust after 3 games and a bye week. Yet our defense still gets no pressure. For WHATEVER reason Robinson almost always only rushes 3-4 guys with no pressure. There were a couple times last night that were straight up embarrassing when dline were all trying to make moves and ended up all just running into each other…all 3 or 4 of our guys literally ran into each other. That should never happen. So we only rush 3-4 guys so our 7 to 8 guys in coverage should be able to prevent a completed pass which they did a few times but then on a couple big plays they let up a first down or for instance the last drive we let their best player catch a pass ONE ON ONE when we dropped 8 guys in coverage. That’s just horrendous coaching. If Elijah keeps the play calling and no adjustments up like this for another few games, I’d say by game 6 or 7 then that’s criminal and I’d seen enough to know he’s not ready to be a DC at this level yet. Really disappointed in him so far and had high expectations
Adjustments...Adjustments? Everyone is talking adjustments...like, Poof, and a major adjustment cn be made. Has anyone on this thread ever considered the possibility that this coaching staff has studied the strengths and weaknesses of the players at their disposal and they are doing the best with what they have to work with? Yes, we are getting no pressure from our front four...not even Diggs was effective rushing from the end position. If you are talking Blitz, our best blitzer from the linebackers was WAX, and he is out for 6 weeks. We have not a single player on this roster who has shown they can replace him even in the base defense...So, who is going to bring this pressure we would all love to see? While the roster turnover has been impressive, Coach Brown and staff have yet to build the roster they need to play the kind of football they want to play. Change styles then? Do we have the personnel to fit this other style??

I’m not on the Robinson train, but they adjusted through the game. After the first quarter they played much better.

There’s a lot going on with personnel groups. They are not playing a base 4-2-5 and nothing else.

Adjustments...Adjustments? Everyone is talking adjustments...like, Poof, and a major adjustment cn be made. Has anyone on this thread ever considered the possibility that this coaching staff has studied the strengths and weaknesses of the players at their disposal and they are doing the best with what they have to work with? Yes, we are getting no pressure from our front four...not even Diggs was effective rushing from the end position. If you are talking Blitz, our best blitzer from the linebackers was WAX, and he is out for 6 weeks. We have not a single player on this roster who has shown they can replace him even in the base defense...So, who is going to bring this pressure we would all love to see? While the roster turnover has been impressive, Coach Brown and staff have yet to build the roster they need to play the kind of football they want to play. Change styles then? Do we have the personnel to fit this other style??
Sure I agree with what some of you are saying and understand they don’t have ALL the players the want/need. But why are we consistently only rushing 3-4 guys and getting no pressure. At least try and get more pressure. And even if we rush 3-4 you would think dropping 7-8 would be able to stop the pass. I don’t think it’s a talent problem or personnel problem. I think it is squarely on play calling/coaching the defense. Not aggressive enough, too much zone, allowing their best player to go one on one when the game is on the line when we drop 8. And if we are being honest it was actually really good coverage by Lewis. Just a great catch which great players make. But he should have been doubled and not given that opportunity. EVERYONE knew where that ball was going. That’s on Fran and Elijah

The tendency to rush so few guys is puzzling.

We can run the ball we just can't run the ball against Stanford. I suspect most teams won't be able to.

Sure I agree with what some of you are saying and understand they don’t have ALL the players the want/need. But why are we consistently only rushing 3-4 guys and getting no pressure. At least try and get more pressure. And even if we rush 3-4 you would think dropping 7-8 would be able to stop the pass. I don’t think it’s a talent problem or personnel problem. I think it is squarely on play calling/coaching the defense. Not aggressive enough, too much zone, allowing their best player to go one on one when the game is on the line when we drop 8. And if we are being honest it was actually really good coverage by Lewis. Just a great catch which great players make. But he should have been doubled and not given that opportunity. EVERYONE knew where that ball was going. That’s on Fran and Elijah
OK, when you say 'doubled", are you talking about 2 defensive backs lined up on the one receiver in press coverage? We had inside safety help on this player, which in essence is double coverage...but they schemed for that and ran a side line route..away from safety help and doubled down with a 'back shoulder" pass making it difficult for any defender to come up with the ball. Great call and even better execution. That play is hard to defend.

OK, when you say 'doubled", are you talking about 2 defensive backs lined up on the one receiver in press coverage? We had inside safety help on this player, which in essence is double coverage...but they schemed for that and ran a side line route..away from safety help and doubled down with a 'back shoulder" pass making it difficult for any defender to come up with the ball. Great call and even better execution. That play is hard to defend.
A perfect example of double coverage to me with good execution is Lewis’ interception yesterday. Had two guys on the receiver in that situation and that’s what it should have been on that last pass play that lost us the game. We probably had a Saftey shaded over towards him but we needed Lewis in man and the Saftey over the top. It was not executed well at all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom