Disturbing trend | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Disturbing trend

We can run the ball we just can't run the ball against Stanford. I suspect most teams won't be able to.
I was honestly blown away by the size of their defense and linebackers. They’re going to lay some eggs but hang in more games than not this year. They have talent.

A perfect example of double coverage to me with good execution is Lewis’ interception yesterday. Had two guys on the receiver in that situation and that’s what it should have been on that last pass play that lost us the game. We probably had a Saftey shaded over towards him but we needed Lewis in man and the Saftey over the top. It was not executed well at all

That was a balloon pass to a rb. Not close to the same thing.

A perfect example of double coverage to me with good execution is Lewis’ interception yesterday. Had two guys on the receiver in that situation and that’s what it should have been on that last pass play that lost us the game. We probably had a Saftey shaded over towards him but we needed Lewis in man and the Saftey over the top. It was not executed well at all
Th Lewis interception is a bad example...Lewis made the interception because the pass was toward the inside.. if the pass was outside to the side lines, lewis would have never got there. On the play in question, we had inside safety help, but the play was designed to go away from any type of double coverage coming from the inside or over the top...the play was sideline..and back shoulder...

Right.

But one way you can help them is by making the ball get out quick.

Stanford's QB made plenty of shaky throws.

And we literally blitzed the previous 2 plays and he made bad throws. We were at 4th and 9 due to middle blitzes yet we see a post asking “who do you want to pressure the qb”. How about the same friggin guy we just saw do it on 2nd and 3rd down. Personally, I can live with getting beat by a blitz. I just hate watching teams sit back like that. Too many defense holding/illegal contact/PI type flags out there. Pressure the qb and take your chances

I think he is only rushing three because our back end can't cover. They need as many bodies in coverage as they can get.

Personally, I'm not a fan of this type of strategy. The best coverage results (or what appears to be in most instances) is because of the direct causation of a good/solid pass rush. At this level of ball, especially P4, if you give a QB more than ample amount of time to throw, check down receivers, etc. it usually ends up positive for the offense. Just as the Prevent Defense seemingly allows a team to create such positive yardage when they have struggled with the passing game for much of the game.

IMO, pressuring the QB, making him throw before he's ready, being consistently rushed/hit (not necessarily sacked), etc., etc., is what makes d-backs appear to be much better at being d-backs.

You do when they are playing like Washington and Spoon were

You get those guys out of there. They were revolving doors last night.

Washington is a liability
That’s called replacing…not rotating. And I agree as I have said.

And we literally blitzed the previous 2 plays and he made bad throws. We were at 4th and 9 due to middle blitzes yet we see a post asking “who do you want to pressure the qb”. How about the same friggin guy we just saw do it on 2nd and 3rd down. Personally, I can live with getting beat by a blitz. I just hate watching teams sit back like that. Too many defense holding/illegal contact/PI type flags out there. Pressure the qb and take your chances
Yeah this is well said.

On the other hand, blitzing every play is a good way to get burned badly.

Pretty much, or the Jobity call or whatever.

Re - watching that last completion the degree of difficulty on that catch was crazy high. Still think we should've rushed more and thrown off the timing a hair (which is all it would've took) but reading this place you'd think they threw a lollipop between the hashes.

Giving up 19 should be enough to win.
Yep 19 pts against on defense, or even the 26 , should have done the job. This game was lost overall on offense. And that was because the OL was really, really bad.

Adjustments...Adjustments? Everyone is talking adjustments...like, Poof, and a major adjustment cn be made. Has anyone on this thread ever considered the possibility that this coaching staff has studied the strengths and weaknesses of the players at their disposal and they are doing the best with what they have to work with? Yes, we are getting no pressure from our front four...not even Diggs was effective rushing from the end position. If you are talking Blitz, our best blitzer from the linebackers was WAX, and he is out for 6 weeks. We have not a single player on this roster who has shown they can replace him even in the base defense...So, who is going to bring this pressure we would all love to see? While the roster turnover has been impressive, Coach Brown and staff have yet to build the roster they need to play the kind of football they want to play. Change styles then? Do we have the personnel to fit this other style??
The Longest Yard Waterboy GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom