Division 1 New Governance System | Syracusefan.com

Division 1 New Governance System

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
http://content.ncaa.org/ncaa-member...raft_System_Design_1.9.14_CONVENTION_v_5C.pdf

Interesting read. Especially the following quote:

"Legislative Autonomy
Defined as the ability, within the current NCAA structure, for the SEC, B1G, PAC-12, ACC and Big 12 conferences and their institutions to adopt reforms in a regulatory structure that respects the demands on student-athletes in the 21st century and acknowledges the need for these conferences/institutions to define rules that address their unique challenges."

Interesting stuff for sure, but not sure this will satisfy either side. It still limits the P5's ability to do some things, but it gives them some power which other schools might not want them to have. To be devil's advocate, why would a school like UConn want to give the P5 schools a greater advantage?

Think this is part of some last-ditch efforts to try to keep the P5 from becoming it's own distinct division.

http://content.ncaa.org/ncaa-member...raft_System_Design_1.9.14_CONVENTION_v_5C.pdf

Interesting read. Especially the following quote:

"Legislative Autonomy
Defined as the ability, within the current NCAA structure, for the SEC, B1G, PAC-12, ACC and Big 12 conferences and their institutions to adopt reforms in a regulatory structure that respects the demands on student-athletes in the 21st century and acknowledges the need for these conferences/institutions to define rules that address their unique challenges."
Read: You guys can do pretty much anything you want to now. No divisions and still have a conference championship game? Sure! Stipends for your student-athletes? Why not?

Oh yeah, and F the AAC!

In another section of the document, page 11 talks about continued access to the NCAA basketball championships for all conferences. There is no such bullet for football.

I think it is safe to assume that the coming playoff system is going to be limited to P5 schools, as will the revenues generated.

The big question to me is, what happens to Notre Dame? Will their semi-affiliation with the ACC be sufficient for them to have access to participating in and playing for national championships?

If not, ND will be joining the ACC for all sports a lot sooner than might have been expected. And...another school.

In another section of the document, page 11 talks about continued access to the NCAA basketball championships for all conferences. There is no such bullet for football.

I think it is safe to assume that the coming playoff system is going to be limited to P5 schools, as will the revenues generated.

The big question to me is, what happens to Notre Dame? Will their semi-affiliation with the ACC be sufficient for them to have access to participating in and playing for national championships?

If not, ND will be joining the ACC for all sports a lot sooner than might have been expected. And...another school.
cincinnati come on down.

and before anyone thinks it.....F storz, theyre useless.

it wont be them people.

The NCAA doesn't sponsor the FBS postseason or a champion at that level, so it makes sense that it's not included. The P5 will continue to do what they want with it, and I'm pretty sure ND will have a way in no matter what.

A couple other points:

- A simplified legislative structure that is managed by ADs and populated with senior-level practitioners whobest understand the realities on campus and in competition, but one in which overall presidential oversight will remain a fundamental principle,on an exception rather than a routine basis
So, in simple terms, the Athletic Directors/Departments will be running the show, with presidential oversight occasionnally rahter than routinely. The inmates run the asylum!

- Define a full grant-in-aid as meeting a student-athlete’s cost of attendance in a manner consistent with the core values of the collegiate model and not to exceed total cost of attendance AND Enhanced benefits provided to student-athletesfor the purpose of supporting their needs based on available resources.
Sounds like a stipend to me.

- Lifetime opportunity to fund the undergraduate education of current and former student-athletes. New resources and greater accountability for success of student-athletes.
To me, this sounds like the end of the limitation regarding how long a student-athlete who has exhausted their eligibility has to complete his/her education.

- Redefinition of rules governing agents and advisors to assist student-athletes with career planning.
This one is a bit scary to me. Slippery slope.

I'm sure there's more items for discussion, but these are the ones that jumped out at me on a quick scan.

One more - and a big one:

Shared Governance Across All Division I Institutions and Conferences
-Defined as any matter not otherwise identified as “autonomy” or “football,” will be part of shared governance across Division I. Intended to maintain standards of access and excellence in a uniform manner across all Division I conferences and institutions in specific areas.
Examples of Areas for Shared Governance
•Access to championships to all conferences.
•Revenue distribution maintained.
•Team scholarship limits in sports other than football.
•Establishment of minimum academic standards.

So in other words, the P5 will have access to all the NCAA championships, but will run the Football championship on their own, presumably keeping all the proceeds. And, the P5 will now be able to set their own limits to the number of football scholarships. A big concern - will hoarding of players return? Also, more lax academic standards?

cincinnati come on down.

and before anyone thinks it...F storz, theyre useless.

it wont be them people.

Texas would be the dream school.

The other logical choices are UConn, Cincy or UCF.

Or you could go with the Navy football, Georgetown all other sports combo to address the defection of that school with the bizarre flag.

They all have pros and cons.

The NCAA doesn't sponsor the FBS postseason or a champion at that level, so it makes sense that it's not included. The P5 will continue to do what they want with it, and I'm pretty sure ND will have a way in no matter what.

The point is that, unlike the basketball championship, access to the football playoff is going to be restricted to P5 schools.

As to whether ND will be given access without being a full member of a P5 conference, you are entitled to your opinion. I am wondering who is going to go to bat for the Irish here.

Why would the ACC act to help them when doing so would work 100% against their long term goals? Do you think the B1G, spurred by ND time and time again, is going to help? Help me to see why the P5 conferences would do this...

Unfortunately, the P5 conferences would help Notre Dame if it meant more tv/sponsorship $. At this point, I don't see the leagues standing firm if Fox/ESPN are pushing for ND to be included.

One interesting thing to note about this new proposed "autonomy" is that it includes this "
And although this group will have full capacity to act, they will also have an obligation to invite comment from across Division I" What exactly does inviting comment from the other schools serve to accomplish?

I will also be interested to see if the P5 schools agree to set personnel limits for non-coaches, and athletic "dead" periods. Would an Alabama/Ohio St, etc agree to cut their staff and maybe lose some of their advantage over other schools? What would stop the P5 from saying Yes to this and then changing the rules back when they have "autonomy"? Should be interesting to watch evolve..

As to whether ND will be given access without being a full member of a P5 conference, you are entitled to your opinion. I am wondering who is going to go to bat for the Irish here.

Why would the ACC act to help them when doing so would work 100% against their long term goals? Do you think the B1G, spurred by ND time and time again, is going to help? Help me to see why the P5 conferences would do this...
It will be very interesting to see how this plays out with ND. I think it puts the ACC in a tough position. On the one hand, ND has brought them $$$ and cachet. On the other hand, it is in the ACC's best interest to get ND all-in. You don't want to p!ss them off. Of course, the response to that is "Where are they going to go?" And it's a good response.

I think in the end, if the other 4 of the P5 play hardball and limit participation in the playoffs to league members, the ACC can play the "look - we did what we could, but we were outvoted" game. And then tell ND they can choose the 16th member. Unless they can pull a school from another P5 conference (and i doubt it), we're probably looking at Cinci or UConn. I doubt either ND of the current ACC would even think twice about UCF - no history with that school (see: SU, Pitt) and already 2 FL schools.

Interesting times ahead. It's good to already have a seat at the table.

Texas would be the dream school.

The other logical choices are UConn, Cincy or UCF.

Or you could go with the Navy football, Georgetown all other sports combo to address the defection of that school with the bizarre flag.

They all have pros and cons.

The point is that, unlike the basketball championship, access to the football playoff is going to be restricted to P5 schools.

personally, i see zero use for the navy/gtown combo. i know its the balt/DC market blah blah blah, but i cant see any ACC Network or a game not being on in that area of the country. its time to play big boy sports, neither school qualifies. i agree with JB, gtown is on their way to st bonny-ville.

ucf would be interesting, if to at least keep the bevo out of florida. solid program with potential. and anytime you can basically get in bed with the house of mouse would be a plus too. so much $$$$.

cincy is going to be another hot commodity. its obviously ohio and helps to strengthen the ACC footprint with pitt & lville out there. it also further islandizes wv, as cincy would also be a bevo target.

storz is Fn useless. i see no need to vet them out here.