DJ Funderburk | Syracusefan.com

DJ Funderburk

cpatrocks

Starter
I don't like NC State and I don't think they are all that good (ugh), BUT

DJ Funderburk may be my favorite player name since the Harvey Pennypacker and Pat Woodcock days.

It is fun to say Funderburk.

That is all.

Im glad to see I wasnt the only one who enjoyed the name, and/or remembered Lawarence. I'm a names guy, and I endorse this thread.

Syracuse had a wr with the last name funderburke at one time. He was a high recruit but later transferred in. Never amounted to much here.

Yes, Quinta(sp.?), who transferred in from Arkansas.

Im glad to see I wasnt the only one who enjoyed the name, and/or remembered Lawarence. I'm a names guy, and I endorse this thread.

Other college basketball "name" guys of the early/mid-'90s:

Dante Calabria at Carolina
Luke? Morningstar at Pitt

Georgetown had some good ones, too, but Georgetown guys don't count, just because.

Lawrence Funderburke is the only Ohio State player I've ever liked.

So yeah, good name.

Funny that you think of him that way -- I think he lasted one semster at OSU, then transferred to Indiana, where he had a good career.

Other college basketball "name" guys of the early/mid-'90s:

Dante Calabria at Carolina
Luke? Morningstar at Pitt

Georgetown had some good ones, too, but Georgetown guys don't count, just because.

Boubacar Aw and Cheikh Ya Ya Dia
Dana Dingle at UMass
Exree Hipp at Maryland

Funny that you think of him that way -- I think he lasted one semster at OSU, then transferred to Indiana, where he had a good career.

I could swear that it was the opposite - he was like Larry Bird, started at IU but was one of those kids who hated the reality of playing under Knight and bounced immediately. There might have been an intraconference transfer penalty at the time, too.

I could swear that it was the opposite - he was like Larry Bird, started at IU but was one of those kids who hated the reality of playing under Knight and bounced immediately. There might have been an intraconference transfer penalty at the time, too.

Dude, you are 100% right. I got it wrong.

Either way -- I couldn't stand him at either location, or either program he played for.

Dude, you are 100% right. I got it wrong.

Either way -- I couldn't stand him at either location, or either program he played for.

I'm too young to remember Ohio State in 1983, so I didn't develop that burning hatred until the Aaron Craft era. In the '90s, they were pleasantly irrelevant - the high-scoring Big Ten foil to Knight and Keady on Sunday afternoons on CBS with their weird gray home uniforms.

Who could forget Pat McGroyne at Notre Dame
Ben Tover at Rutgers
Al Bumin at Harvard
The twins who played at Temple - Neal and Bob Uppendown
There was an OL at Texas back in the 70s named Emerson Bigguns

I know it's football but i couldn't resist. I once watched a game between Nebraska and Oklahoma back in the days of two running backs in which the Sooner's RB's were Horace Ivory and Elvis Peacock and the Husker's had Jarvis Redwine and Isaiah Marcus Hipp: "I. M. Hipp". :cool:

Elvis Peacock?!? :confused:

Last edited:
If we want to stick Orange for names I enjoyed, I always liked Lucious Jackson(someone I dont recall being mentioned much, if at all, on here). I think there is a rock band named after him, called Luscious Jackson. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom