Class of 2016 - DL Joel Dublanko (WA) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 DL Joel Dublanko (WA)

well i can tell you we are not turning down talent, and we are not 'not' offering because we feel we're longshots.

Even if the staff doesn't think he is a fit on field he is a 4 star recruit. You take him if for anything else the perception nationally. Boost our class rankings. This would also be the second pull from the West Coast in back to back years. Mold him into a defensive end.

My impression is that right now, the coaches don't really see a "fit" for him in our system. They see other guys who would play the same position who they think fit the scheme a bit better. Just from what I've been able to gather, anyway.

jekelish said:
I haven't. Honestly, I figure if the coaches haven't offered a kid...they probably have their reasons. I'm just having a harder time than usual figuring out what it might be in this case. But I tend to defer to them, while thinking, "Okay, we could have had this kid, and now if he goes and blows up at Stanford we're going to look foolish."
My honest guess.. They will wait until the kid visits. If he comes on a visit, they offer on the visit, no doubt. If you have even a reasonable shot, you take this kid purely for the energy it pumps into the program. Better than taking a flier on a 2* kid late that you hope you can coach up. A 4* that doesn't work out is a quality backup at worst at SU. A 2* that doesn't achieve his potential is roster fodder. You can't pay for the momentum that builds with a commit from another 4* to the SU program.

jekelish - Any insight as to whether SU gets a visit this summer without an offer in hand?

My honest guess.. They will wait until the kid visits. If he comes on a visit, they offer on the visit, no doubt. If you have even a reasonable shot, you take this kid purely for the energy it pumps into the program. Better than taking a flier on a 2* kid late that you hope you can coach up. A 4* that doesn't work out is a quality backup at worst at SU. A 2* that doesn't achieve his potential is roster fodder. You can't pay for the momentum that builds with a commit from another 4* to the SU program.

jekelish - Any insight as to whether SU gets a visit this summer without an offer in hand?
No - they were actually advised not to visit without an offer to save them the expense.

jekelish said:
No - they were actually advised not to visit without an offer to save them the expense.
Come on SU! Get this kid on campus with RW and a few other high profile targets, offer and grab a commit from a 4* that weekend... Very good chance it gets contagious with the other visitors. Free advertising is the best form of advertising! What am I missing?!

Last edited:
well i can tell you we are not turning down talent, and we are not 'not' offering because we feel we're longshots.

hmmm sounds like a whole bunch of speculation to me.

I love it when you come in with comments like this. Like really, everyone is speculating? Go figure all that speculation on a sports forum.

Md3e0e645beff7e7baa18983573243b42.jpg

This is 100% speculation and "maaaaaaybe...?"

But...

1) 3 of the last 4 people he's followed are Tim Daoust, Cole Dial, and Scott Shafer

2) He tweeted earlier about going on a 5-6 hour flight, but didn't say where he was headed

3) He favorited three tweets speculating perhaps he's headed to Syracuse

This is all circumstantial but...maaaaaaybe he's visiting Syracuse under the radar?

jekelish said:
This is 100% speculation and "maaaaaaybe...?" But... 1) 3 of the last 4 people he's followed are Tim Daoust, Cole Dial, and Scott Shafer 2) He tweeted earlier about going on a 5-6 hour flight, but didn't say where he was headed 3) He favorited three tweets speculating perhaps he's headed to Syracuse This is all circumstantial but...maaaaaaybe he's visiting Syracuse under the radar?

When are Rex and Scoop up? Hmmm...

Again, this is just pure speculation. I watched a few episodes of the show "Sherlock" today so I guess I decided to try some detective work and I could be wrong. But still...

Oh, and Rex and Scoop fly up tomorrow.

jekelish said:
Again, this is just pure speculation. I watched a few episodes of the show "Sherlock" today so I guess I decided to try some detective work and I could be wrong. But still... Oh, and Rex and Scoop fly up tomorrow.

Sherlock is the best. I think you're onto something.

Exciting week.

This is 100% speculation and "maaaaaaybe...?"

But...

1) 3 of the last 4 people he's followed are Tim Daoust, Cole Dial, and Scott Shafer

2) He tweeted earlier about going on a 5-6 hour flight, but didn't say where he was headed

3) He favorited three tweets speculating perhaps he's headed to Syracuse

This is all circumstantial but...maaaaaaybe he's visiting Syracuse under the radar?
If he does come to campus, is there any doubt he gets his offer? I mean I was under the impression the staff wasn't sure he was serious about them, which is why no offer. But if he pays his way to campus, I'd say that's showing enough interest to offer the kid, wouldn't you think?

Again, this is just pure speculation. I watched a few episodes of the show "Sherlock" today so I guess I decided to try some detective work and I could be wrong. But still...

Oh, and Rex and Scoop fly up tomorrow.

TheCusian and jekelish so now I know what we all were watching yesterday for six hours.

I haven't watched the video but that article seems to indicate he's talking about places he's already been right?

I haven't watched the video but that article seems to indicate he's talking about places he's already been right?

Yes except FL where they want him to come to camp and show what he can do.

Edit: And Florida has their camps 6/7-6/10.

Last edited:
Well he was actually at UF last month but obviously not for camp.

Well, I guess I've got my answer. Ha. I went ahead and sent his dad a DM last night (he and I have spoken a bit in the past) because I was tired of the suspense, but I guess it's been solved for me.

I'm still gonna go ahead and pat myself on the back for my detective work anyway, dammit lol.

This kid has an eclectic set of offers ranging from Army (no eligibility issues here), to Vandy - Mississippi State, Washington State and Tennessee as well as several non P5 schools. Across the map (literally and figuratively).

If he does come to campus, is there any doubt he gets his offer? I mean I was under the impression the staff wasn't sure he was serious about them, which is why no offer. But if he pays his way to campus, I'd say that's showing enough interest to offer the kid, wouldn't you think?

Seems like that's the case! Hope we land this kid.