DL less worrisome than we think? | Syracusefan.com

DL less worrisome than we think?

SUskibum

All Conference
Everyone is justifiably worried about the experience, depth and measurables of our DL.

I submit 2 stats in addition to the already known quantity of our all world LB crew. Reminder these stats came while having 4 experienced and productive DL.

3 of our top 4 leaders in Tackles for loss came from MJ, Thompson and Wax

3 of our top 5 leaders in Sacks came from MJ, Thompson, and Wax

I say this because its possible the bar is lower than we think for the DL to just get what they need to get done while the back 8 perform to their superstar level.

Everyone is justifiably worried about the experience, depth and measurables of our DL.

I submit 2 stats in addition to the already known quantity of our all world LB crew. Reminder these stats came while having 4 experienced and productive DL.

I say this because its possible the bar is lower than we think for the DL to just get what they need to get done while the back 8 perform to their superstar level.
LBs can make a lot more plays when the OL can’t get to the second level or fend off the DL.

Most important thing with the DL is fits. Being in the proper gap and getting there fast allows the line backers to get those type of stats. I wanted at least one DL transfer but I never thought it would crush us if we didnt get any. Although they are inexperienced there will be a rotation of several D lineman equipped for this defense. That makes a difference.

I trust Coach Achuff to mold our young players into sound gap-stuffers. And we already know he has a track record with edge guys that thrive.
Most important thing with the DL is fits. Being in the proper gap and getting there fast allows the line backers to get those type of stats. I wanted at least one DL transfer but I never thought it would crush us if we didnt get any. Although they are inexperienced there will be a rotation of several D lineman equipped for this defense. That makes a difference.

I'm hoping safety is upgraded with the off season moves there. That has felt like our weakest spot on defense the last 2 years. I'm cautiously optimistic that we've recruited well on the dline since White arrived to prepare for this year.

I'm hoping safety is upgraded with the off season moves there. That has felt like our weakest spot on defense the last 2 years. I'm cautiously optimistic that we've recruited well on the dline since White arrived to prepare for this year.

There were a few times last year (notably FSU) where the safeties came up and whiffed, allowing big gains. If those get cleaned up and it becomes a 4-6 yard gain instead of 15+, the defense will limit big plays and get even better.

There were a few times last year (notably FSU) where the safeties came up and whiffed, allowing big gains. If those get cleaned up and it becomes a 4-6 yard gain instead of 15+, the defense will limit big plays and get even better.
It also seemed like they were also burned over the top on pass plays quite a few times. Coverage needs to be better too.

We were insanely young at DB in general but at safety in particular. We were playing players with no experience at the college level, who were physically not capable of holding their own.

We also brought in three transfers who have a chance to contribute here. I think all 3 can also play CB and am not sure where the coaches plan to use them. But they are bigger and stronger and more ready to play than the kids we had out there last year.

And those kids that played last season are a year older and more mature now.

Not sure who is going to play. It is going to be a donnybrook for playing time but I think we have a lot of talented athletes with experience playing in college and we are in vastly better position to be successfully next season.

I feel confident at least 3 players will emerge from the pack as really good players here.

We were insanely young at DB in general but at safety in particular. We were playing players with no experience at the college level, who were physically not capable of holding their own.

We also brought in three transfers who have a chance to contribute here. I think all 3 can also play CB and am not sure where the coaches plan to use them. But they are bigger and stronger and more ready to play than the kids we had out there last year.

And those kids that played last season are a year older and more mature now.

Not sure who is going to play. It is going to be a donnybrook for playing time but I think we have a lot of talented athletes with experience playing in college and we are in vastly better position to be successfully next season. I feel confident at least 3 players will emerge from the packa as really good players here.
I guess I didn't realize how young we were at safety. I figured the guys that took their lumps when forced into action the year before would be able to use that experience to be solid. I can't remember for sure, did we have more injuries there last year that forced other young guys to play?

If the DL can keep the OL off our backers, we will be good. I do think that we can get pressure on the QB and to Toms point our back should be much better. We all wish that we would have landed another DT. It is what it is hopefully the kids hold up.

I think we are good to go at DE. For interior we have Lockett and Caleb who I would think could get up to 275 over the summer. Both guys gave us nice play on the interior last year. Darton did as well but he has lost 20 plus pounds. I am sure the coaches wanted him to lighten up but maybe went to far to sub 270. He should be able to add a few back if needed. My concern is injury attrition at a position that is not deep. With certainty a guy at that position will get hurt. We usually get a surprise player who we didn't anticipate but we are still thin. The question will be how does our DC coaches around that potential weakness if we lose a body or two midseason.

My concern is injury attrition at a position that is not deep. With certainty a guy at that position will get hurt.
That is my concern too. I dont think there will be a big drop off from #4 in the rotation to #7. I think that helps a bit but I dont want to see Fuentes Geer and Simmons getting the bulk of plays in the rotation. You are right, there's always a surprise. Maybe its Nolton Jaquez or Bassette. Two of those guys been here since the spring. Both could possibly make the jump Lockett made.

I think we are good to go at DE. For interior we have Lockett and Caleb who I would think could get up to 275 over the summer. Both guys gave us nice play on the interior last year. Darton did as well but he has lost 20 plus pounds. I am sure the coaches wanted him to lighten up but maybe went to far to sub 270. He should be able to add a few back if needed. My concern is injury attrition at a position that is not deep. With certainty a guy at that position will get hurt. We usually get a surprise player who we didn't anticipate but we are still thin. The question will be how does our DC coaches around that potential weakness if we lose a body or two midseason.
Pretty sure OKECHUKWU will stay at DE. Same size as Josh Black.

That is my concern too. I dont think there will be a big drop off from #4 in the rotation to #7. I think that helps a bit but I dont want to see Fuentes Geer and Simmons getting the bulk of plays in the rotation. You are right, there's always a surprise. Maybe its Nolton Jaquez or Bassette. Two of those guys been here since the spring. Both could possibly make the jump Lockett made.
Bassette is my guess, I think he plays day 1

I love football but played and coached basketball, never football, so would you mind explaining a little more. Thanks Money.
In the 3-3-5 the Strong side end can line up inside or outside from play to play. Its dictated on the personnel of the offense, down and distance and situation of the game. Base alignment is a 5 technique (outside shade of the tackle) but there are times when they play the 4i and the 3 technique, A 4i (inside shade of the tackle) gives teams that run power plays fits because you have a D lineman sitting in the B gap where teams want to run. It changes the rules for the offensive line and forces them to communicate well. 3 tech is outside shade of the guard and it forces the guard's and tackle's to double at times. The SDE will also play a 9 tech which is outside the TE. As you can see there are multiple aligments and movements. That's why they look for versatile D lineman.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom