DL next year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DL next year

Not counting any transfer portal guys...

DTs Next year:
  • Lockett
  • Darton
  • Fuentes-Cundiff
  • Bassette
  • Hough
  • Perry

DEs Next year:
  • Okechukwu
  • Geer
  • Linton
  • Simmons
  • Jobity
  • Jasquez
  • Noulton

Now granted, there are players who might play multiple positions in White's system [like Okechukwu playing inside on passing downs, Perry maybe playing both DT / DE, etc.].

But that doesn't include any of other "new" faces beyond the existing group, with the exception of incoming frosh Perry.

We also know that Tony White loves rotating parts to keep them fresh -- so he'll play guys if they can contribute. When I look at that list, I see a LOT of guys who can contribute. And LOTS of proven commodities, mixed with newer faces with exciting potential.

DL is loaded for next year. Wish one or two of these guys was a bit more experienced THIS year, given the depth constraints we're facing. But hard not to look at the talent in the pipeline and not conclude that it's both stocked with talent, and the future looks bright.

Yeah seeing this list makes things look really good for next year and beyond. I haven’t followed recruiting as well the last couple years so I’ve lost touch with where we’re stocked and not stocked at certain positions.

Run defense isn't always about just having a big D-line. LBs have to contribute too, as well as CBs and Safeties.

Ideally in this scheme the D-line would have multiple guys who are 260-270 and can run, but the whole picture requires solid LBs and secondary players too.

Run defense isn't always about just having a big D-line. LBs have to contribute too, as well as CBs and Safeties.

Ideally in this scheme the D-line would have multiple guys who are 260-270 and can run, but the whole picture requires solid LBs and secondary players too.
Ok, but there isn't anything wrong with our LBs and secondary, no?

definitely a lot of depth, and Perry just may be a solid contributor even as a true frosh, that dude is a beast. Assuming there aren't any unexpected losses (ie like what almost happened when we dogged a bullet with Mikel staying and not cashing in at Miami) then the defense is the last thing any of us need to worry about, it will be great. Offense is what needs fixing, we need help literally everywhere except QB.
Perry is the type of player who could be a Steven Clark, come in and disrupt offenses from day 1.

DTs Next year:
  • Lockett
  • Darton
  • Fuentes-Cundiff
  • Bassette
  • Hough
  • Perry

DEs Next year:
  • Okechukwu
  • Geer
  • Linton
  • Simmons
  • Jobity
  • Jasquez
  • Noulton

Now granted, there are players who might play multiple positions in White's system [like Okechukwu playing inside on passing downs, Perry maybe playing both DT / DE, etc.].

But that doesn't include any of other "new" faces beyond the existing group, with the exception of incoming frosh Perry.

We also know that Tony White loves rotating parts to keep them fresh -- so he'll play guys if they can contribute. When I look at that list, I see a LOT of guys who can contribute. And LOTS of proven commodities, mixed with newer faces with exciting potential.

DL is loaded for next year. Wish one or two of these guys was a bit more experienced THIS year, given the depth constraints we're facing. But hard not to look at the talent in the pipeline and not conclude that it's both stocked with talent, and the future looks bright.
I think this is a position group of strength next year. We just need to get a bit healthier. I think Lockett and Fuentes-Cundiff will both grow a bit as well. The DEs are deep and solid. I don't care how big Darton or Linton are - they both make plays.

Perry is the type of player who could be a Steven Clark, come in and disrupt offenses from day 1.

I don't remember Clark disrupting much. I feel like he was a bit overrated due to his offers and some posters trying to be his Dad's best friend. That said, I hope Perry is a force.

DTs Next year:
  • Lockett
  • Darton
  • Fuentes-Cundiff
  • Bassette
  • Hough
  • Perry

DEs Next year:
  • Okechukwu
  • Geer
  • Linton
  • Simmons
  • Jobity
  • Jasquez
  • Noulton

. . .

Yes, exactly. The problem with the list, for the 2022 season, is that too many of these guys are true frosh or Rs-F and the DL unit as a whole is way too young and inexperienced. We lost 4 veteran, multi-year starters, who were full grown men. To my mind, the group of young DEs in the pipeline above is as good as or better than any group SU has collected in many seasons. The young DTs are more difficult to judge (haven't seen anything of Bassett and not much of Fuentes- Cardiff). Overall, we have solid numbers, and several of these guys will be full sized next year and certainly by 2024. Maybe add one transfer or juco DT to help stuff the run and this unit will solidify the defense.

If only we had promising talent like this in the OL room.

Why I say we need a bigger guy in there sometimes or against run heavy teams is it should require double teams instead of man blocking as the Clemson and ND games were. Darton would stuff center bye himself but when they did double him, he was washed out pretty easily. Man on man he will win 80 percent of the time but doubled he won’t. We need a guy who can withstand the double and beat it or at least not lose ground. We have to force that double team. I think someone in the Arthur jones mold. I’m not saying he has to start or anything but we need to have a choice when we play these teams. I also think we need to come downhill a bit harder at backer than White has them doing. Now instead of making 5 yard tackles we are making 2 yarders. We could pinch down especially at ND game because they weren’t fast enough to get outside of us. If we pinch a bit more at ends or blitzing outside backers we could get more behind line tackles. Obviously u can’t do it all the time but I sure didn’t see much of it. The other reason I see or feel we need some big guys is injuries. Our 265 guys are going up against mobile 325 lb guys. Who in their right mind wouldn’t expect as game goes along and dline gets tired that it wouldn’t create injuries. 3 years ago when Clemson first used 3-3-5, they had that big ass noseguard and 2 stud ends who were much heavier than our guys. They did well with it and I know u guys will say if we could get them we would. Ok, just don’t say we only want 270lbers. If we could get big dudes with cat quickness we would. I don’t know, maybe I’m overthinking it. I know Money is right about our offense not helping defense. Can’t leave them out there that long and we neeeeeeeed to find a running game somewhere and somehow to help defense rest. Our oline gets 0 push. If we checked pancakes, I’m sure this year should be one or the lowest we have had in sometime. I have rarely seen a dlinemen driven into backers area this year. Gotta get the damn hippos.

I don't remember Clark disrupting much. I feel like he was a bit overrated due to his offers and some posters trying to be his Dad's best friend. That said, I hope Perry is a force.
In 2016 we were 122nd against the run. In 2018 we were 63rd. I guess some people want to go back to that but big doesnt mean better.

Of the current players on the roster who do you think gets moved inside?
Perry
Jobity
Cundiff

Based on their current weight and with the new S&C I could see them adding the weight to slide over.

Perry
Jobity
Cundiff

Based on their current weight and with the new S&C I could see them adding the weight to slide over.
Perry and Fuentes-Cundiff for sure are close enough. I think Jobity is going to continue to grow as an excellent DE.

I'm surprised we haven't seen much of Perry on the DL. I thought in the bowl game we'd see what he could do inside, but I don't remember seeing him at all.

I'm surprised we haven't seen much of Perry on the DL. I thought in the bowl game we'd see what he could do inside, but I don't remember seeing him at all.
Im surprised as well. I thought he would contribute some on the DL. Maybe we should pump the brakes with him. For some of the young players its takes time to get acclimated to the speed and techniques in college.

Im surprised as well. I thought he would contribute some on the DL. Maybe we should pump the brakes with him. For some of the young players its takes time to get acclimated to the speed and techniques in college.
Also they were using him all year as a blocking back on offense, a complete waste of time.
That's another reason I'm glad we have a new staff.

Perry
Jobity
Cundiff

Cannot understate the importance of proper dedication to S&C.

Last edited:
Yup wasted a year of eligibility sadly.
All I could figure is they had to make good on a promise that he'd play immediately, and they reconciled that as the most helpful path for the program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom