Class of 2023 - DL Ty Gordon (VA) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (12/17/22) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 DL Ty Gordon (VA) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (12/17/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
EC212766-51E1-4DBE-9EE2-62685F7A7B7A.jpeg

Tough for ODU to lose a kid like this so late. That said as a Cuse fan, love his film. He just looks like he belongs in the middle of the Dline. Very functional athlete, Ted Gregory/Kevin Mitchell vibes as he’s not particularly tall, but sheds blockers and looks really strong for his listed weight/stature. Exciting pickup!

Tough for ODU to lose a kid like this so late. That said as a Cuse fan, love his film. He just looks like he belongs in the middle of the Dline. Very functional athlete, Ted Gregory/Kevin Mitchell vibes as he’s not particularly tall, but sheds blockers and looks really strong for his listed weight/stature. Exciting pickup!
Love it when anyone compares current opportunities with elite trenches like Ted & Kevin.

Welcome to Syracuse Ty.

Sounds like a freak athlete with elite agility for his size.

We are finally starting to get the kind of DTs we need to contend for a playoff spot.

Good to see.

TY GORDON 2023 BATTLEFIELD HS, HAYMARKET, VA COMMITTED &
#9 DT 6' 2" 267 ALL STATE, ALL REGION, DPOY/ VJ 35, BP315, 185 BP REPS 17, SQ 500, DL 550
oimLVS7Z_400x400.jpg

ASSETS PER FILM:

QUICK / AGILE
STRONG
GETS INTO BFLD TO DISRUPT PLAY QUICKLY
VERY AGGRESSIVE
WILL STOP RB/QB AT OR BEFORE LOS

GREAT THAT HE'S WITH US!

TY GORDON 2023 BATTLEFIELD HS, HAYMARKET, VA COMMITTED / SIGNED LOI 12/17/22
#9 DT 6' 2" 267 ALL STATE, ALL REGION, DPOY/ VJ 35, BP315, 185 BP REPS 17, SQ 500, DL 550

oimLVS7Z_400x400.jpg

ASSETS PER FILM:

QUICK / AGILE
STRONG
GETS INTO BFLD TO DISRUPT PLAY QUICKLY
VERY AGGRESSIVE
WILL STOP RB/QB AT OR BEFORE LOS

GREAT THAT HE'S WITH US!

Last edited:
Great article. Mom's words of wisdom. I said the same to my own about school choice.

Interesting tidbit that he's held the Syracuse offer since mid-October.

But everything changed for Gordon after two Syracuse University football assistants saw him play one of the best games of his life Oct. 7 against visiting John Champe.

Assistant coach Chip West, who recruits this area for the Orangemen, and defensive line coach Chris Achuff left impressed. The following week, Gordon said Syracuse offered him a scholarship.

Sidebar comment but I'm really impressed by how many of our recruits this year play for HS teams that made State title runs. From Gordon, to Cahoon, to Perry and others. Winners. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Good points. He does seem to have the ability to play DE also.
I don't see this kid as a project. In fact, his measurables and playing style suggest the opposite. Call-me-crazy comparison:

Last edited:
Hopefully he turns out to be pretty good in 2-3 years, a bit concerning his only other FBS offer was Old dominion. Seems like a PWO versus a scholly guy

I don't see this kid as a project. In fact, his measurables and playing style suggest the opposite. Call-me-crazy comparison:

Haha. I see some similarities for sure

Hopefully he turns out to be pretty good in 2-3 years, a bit concerning his only other FBS offer was Old dominion. Seems like a PWO versus a scholly guy
Why 3 years? Watch his film and see how the 3-3-5 can best utilize his strengths, His film and competition level was better than guys like Lockett Simmons and Fuentes who all played within the first year or two. Cant just look at offers alone.

Why 3 years? Watch his film and see how the 3-3-5 can best utilize his strengths, His film and competition level was better than guys like Lockett Simmons and Fuentes who all played within the first year or two. Cant just look at offers alone.
Looks like they identified a kid with the traits they are looking for. Strong hands, can control ol and get across their inside shoulder, small area quickness, low pad level.

‘’looking at the roster there shouldn’t be an urgency to throw him in. Can develop.

Last edited:
Could have been a late bloomer. You just never know with these types. Some guys don't have the grades to play college ball and won't receive any offers despite skill level.

Not making excuses -- but it looks like Gordon was a multi-sport athlete who didn't start playing football until late [junior year], and wasn't immersed on the gridiron like many other prospects. He's a superb athlete [like -- a ridiculous athlete], so this could be one of those situations where he has all the tools / attributes that we require from our DTs, as Go alludes to above.

Status
Not open for further replies.