Do posters here really believe that Nassib is the reason Doug got the Buffalo job? | Syracusefan.com

Do posters here really believe that Nassib is the reason Doug got the Buffalo job?

CIL

All Conference
Becasue I have read that phrase at least a dozen times on this board, and honestly, it makes me sick. I know some of us here had their asses chapped by Doug leaving, but to suggest that Ryan is this transcendent coach building talent is ridiculous. He's a solid player that is going to go in the 2nd or 3rd round (in a very weak QB draft might it add).

In fact, I would say that Doug is reason Ryan was being considered in the first couple days. You don't think that Doug and Hackett had anything to do with his improvement do you? One of the pros of drafting Ryan is his ability to handle a NFL style passing game. You don't think the offense Doug installed had anything to do with that?

Meanwhile, we have posters blasting the Pugh pick because his wing span was 2 inches less than the LT average. For you Giants fans out there, you're lucky that was the case or this kid would have been a top 10 pick. He was by far our best player over the last two years. This is a draft were the number 10 pick is just as valuable as the 35th.

One of the pros of drafting Ryan is his ability to handle a NFL style passing game. You don't think the offense Doug installed had anything to do with that?

They installed a completely new playbook 2 weeks before the season started. That's difficult for anyone to do, much less a full time college student. Ryan had the mental smarts, the physical gifts and the chutzpah to learn the new playbook and deliver.

Did Ryan get Doug hired? No.
Do I think Doug would have been hired had Charlie Loeb been our QB last year? Probably not...

They installed a completely new playbook 2 weeks before the season started. That's difficult for anyone to do, much less a full time college student. Ryan had the mental smarts, the physical gifts and the chutzpah to learn the new playbook and deliver.

Did Ryan get Doug hired? No.
Do I think Doug would have been hired had Charlie Loeb been our QB last year? Probably not...

The whole playbook thing is one of the biggest myths around this board since Idris Price's enrollment. It was the same exact playbook we have always had. We decided to go strictly shotgun / no huddle before the season. Same plays, same terminologies, just out of the gun. Secondly, the no huddle had always been a part of Doug's plan. It arrived sooner than later.

Becasue I have read that phrase at least a dozen times on this board, and honestly, it makes me sick. I know some of us here had their asses chapped by Doug leaving, but to suggest that Ryan is this transcendent coach building talent is ridiculous. He's a solid player that is going to go in the 2nd or 3rd round (in a very weak QB draft might it add).

In fact, I would say that Doug is reason Ryan was being considered in the first couple days. You don't think that Doug and Hackett had anything to do with his improvement do you? One of the pros of drafting Ryan is his ability to handle a NFL style passing game. You don't think the offense Doug installed had anything to do with that?

Meanwhile, we have posters blasting the Pugh pick because his wing span was 2 inches less than the LT average. For you Giants fans out there, you're lucky that was the case or this kid would have been a top 10 pick. He was by far our best player over the last two years. This is a draft were the number 10 pick is just as valuable as the 35th.
it is crazy talk. most of these people don't care if the bills win.

and marrone isn't the GM. for all we know he preferred nassi

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

They installed a completely new playbook 2 weeks before the season started. ...

That is such complete nonsense.

They decided to base out of their uptempo package.

IT WAS ALREADY INSTALLED!!!!!

The decision was, 1) to go with it 100%, and 2) expand it by pulling in more plays.

This place really is ridiculous sometimes. They helped each other.

Best thing in the world for both is to part ways at this point. They don't need their futures tied together. It's obvious the Bills think they need a more of an athlete at QB to make up for deficiencies.

Best thing for Nassib would be to get picked up by GB, NE, Denver, or NO, all of which would fit his skill set and give him time to develop.

You don't have to take our word for it. Gruden himself said that Nassib's success was, in large part, the reason why Marone was IN Buffalo in the first place. And Kiper didn't disagree. So .. no disrespect, but I'll take their opinions over the thread all day.

Nassib was 3-0 against the top QB in the draft --- notwithstanding Buffalo's stretch pick. I'm not saying EJ Manuel doesn't have ability. He's taller than Nassib by 3 inches, he fits their up-tempo system (supposedly) and he can connect on the deep ball. In the pros, those factors alone are enough to justify one pick over another.

Regardless, my takeaways are: 1- Ryan will hook up with a better opportunity to play for a legit NFL team (as opposed to a farm team); and 2- the 30 year blacklist lives on.

Go Bills... lol. (F them)

That is such complete nonsense.

They decided to base out of their uptempo package.

IT WAS ALREADY INSTALLED!!!!!

The decision was, 1) to go with it 100%, and 2) expand it by pulling in more plays.

do people here think that teams have entirely different playbooks for the 2 minute drill?

do people here think that teams have entirely different playbooks for the 2 minute drill?
is that how its set up in playstation??

if it is...then yes, thats what they think.

Oh Lord

OK, so they abandoned a MAJORITY of the playbook that they’d studied the entire spring/summer...and mastered the seasons prior.

They chose to adopt and expand on a small portion of the playbook 2 WEEKS BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED.

Yeah maybe the terminology is the same. But they needed to learn (and master) different packages and formations out of that base formation.

Sure. Piece of cake. No biggie. I’m sure it was a breeze.

Marrone drafting Nassib had no real upside unless Nassib ended up being a long term viable starter. For a first year coach to bring in his guy, the expectations would be through the roof, very little room for error. As for Nassib, although financially it may hurt, hopefully he gets picked up by a team that can give him the Aaron rogers treatment and let him play behind a good QB for a while. Perfect scenario would probably be a tesam like the Broncos, although they did pull a kid out of the 2nd round last year, but you get the jist. Only way it would work in Buffalo is if they grabbed him in the late 2nd or early 3rd and expectations would be lower, and Dougie wouldn't have to hang his first NFLHC gig on "his" guy

You don't have to take our word for it. Gruden himself said that Nassib's success was, in large part, the reason why Marone was IN Buffalo in the first place. And Kiper didn't disagree. So .. no disrespect, but I'll take their opinions over the thread all day.

Nassib was 3-0 against the top QB in the draft --- notwithstanding Buffalo's stretch pick. I'm not saying EJ Manuel doesn't have ability. He's taller than Nassib by 3 inches, he fits their up-tempo system (supposedly) and he can connect on the deep ball. In the pros, those factors alone are enough to justify one pick over another.

Regardless, my takeaways are: 1- Ryan will hook up with a better opportunity to play for a legit NFL team (as opposed to a farm team); and 2- the 30 year blacklist lives on.

I don't disagree with the whoel post, but this argument of Nassib going 3-0 against the top QB in the draft seems silly. Never did anyone think that WVU was a defensive juggernaut. Their strength was their offense, Ryan deserves credit for what he did in those games, but it was hardly Ryan v. Geno. It was Geno being locked in the damn building with Scott Shafer's henchmen on the attack. I think being 0-3 against Syracuse reflects poorly on Geno considering the expectations of those games, but the head to head match up just doesn't decide an argument when you are discussing who to take a struggling franchis into the future.

The sad thing for Bills fans is that the answer likely was not even in this draft class.

OK, so they abandoned a MAJORITY of the playbook that they’d studied the entire spring/summer...and mastered the seasons prior.

They chose to adopt and expand on a small portion of the playbook 2 WEEKS BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED.

Yeah maybe the terminology is the same. But they needed to learn (and master) different packages and formations out of that base formation.

Sure. Piece of cake. No biggie. I’m sure it was a breeze.

Good lord.

I love you reed but this logic is also silly. It's not like it was Ryan vs. Geno out there on the field, there were other players out there. I would also argue that Marrone outcoached WVU 3 times as well. Do you think that Syracuse would have been 0-3 vs. WVU if they had Ryan and we had Geno Smith? Doubtful.

The reason for the original post is not demeaning to Ryan at all. It's the fact that saying "Ryan is reason Doug got the Buffalo job" discounts the remarkable coaching job Doug did here at Syracuse.

I love you reed but this logic is also silly. It's not like it was Ryan vs. Geno out there on the field, there were other players out there. I would also argue that Marrone outcoached WVU 3 times as well. Do you think that Syracuse would have been 0-3 vs. WVU if they had Ryan and we had Geno Smith? Doubtful.

The reason for the original post is not demeaning to Ryan at all. It's the fact that saying "Ryan is reason Doug got the Buffalo job" discounts the remarkable coaching job Doug did here at Syracuse.
Manuel had a better rating each of the last 3 years than nassib, he's a better runner, he has more upside. people think it's some huge insult that marrone (if he had any influence on the pick) doesn't think that Nassib is the best qb coming out of college.

is it really so insulting to think that nassib is the 2nd or 3rd best? aye yi yi

Good lord.

Listen bud, I am not saying Ryan got Doug hired.

But to imply (as you are) that a substantial change to the playbook is no big deal is making you look foolish.

and they didn't draft geno smith so it's not like we know that they think smith is better than nassib

People bitching about Nassib not being picked by Marrone is about as ridiculous as the Bills taking Manual. Neither are first round talent

You think we're 8-5 last year with Loeb (who's probably our 3rd string QB next year after 4 years on the roster)? Without Nassib, we are a 4-8 team last year. You think the Bills bring in a HC from a 4-8 college team? I don't.

You think we're 8-5 last year with Loeb (who's probably our 3rd string QB next year after 4 years on the roster)? Without Nassib, we are a 4-8 team last year. You think the Bills bring in a HC from a 4-8 college team? I don't.

I don't know. We were 8-5 with Ryan as a first year starter. Who is to say?

I don't know. We were 8-5 with Ryan as a first year starter. Who is to say?

Ryan carried us the 2nd half of the year-Loeb is still running 3rd string (maybe 4th when Allen comes in)

Two inches imagine that. People should look at a ruler and ask themselves if that is really going to make a difference. What a joke.

whats worse, that or people getting chapped about 1/10 of a second in the forty.

Two inches imagine that. People should look at a ruler and ask themselves if that is really going to make a difference. What a joke.

whats worse, that or people getting chapped about 1/10 of a second in the forty.

motion of the ocean!

Listen bud, I am not saying Ryan got Doug hired.

But to imply (as you are) that a substantial change to the playbook is no big deal is making you look foolish.

You have got to be kidding. They didn't change the playbook. The tempo they used, and the approach to game planning was the change.

What I'm saying is that you don't understand what the change was. And that makes me look foolish?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom