Do posters here really believe that Nassib is the reason Doug got the Buffalo job? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Do posters here really believe that Nassib is the reason Doug got the Buffalo job?

This argument is ridiculous, both men helped each other along the way the four years here, neither one of them turned Syracuse around on there own there was help from everywhere ie asst coaches, great D players, offensive skill guys (Lemon, Sales, the rb core). Nassib and Doug both deserve a lot of credit lets wish them well and move on unless your a Bills fan like me then you have to deal with it.

The whole playbook thing is one of the biggest myths around this board since Idris Price's enrollment. It was the same exact playbook we have always had. We decided to go strictly shotgun / no huddle before the season. Same plays, same terminologies, just out of the gun. Secondly, the no huddle had always been a part of Doug's plan. It arrived sooner than later.

Idris Price has enrolled?

I think Marrone wouldve been a tougher sell had the team (Nassib included) didn't come alive down the stretch and finish with a bowl win. By himself Nassib didn't get Marrone the Bills job but certainly didn't hurt having him as a contributing factor.

Of course the team didn't really turn it around until Pugh returned... and Marrone didn't draft Pugh either... soooooo "Doug's a witch! Burn him!".

Now if Doug comes back and drafts Shamarko in the 2nd or 3rd and Lemon in the 5th or 6th will all be forgiven by SU fans?

I'd argue Pugh did more for Marrone than Nassib. Our OL was incredible this year, and Pugh was pretty much a rock solid starter for him in much of his regime (Marrone deservedly gets the credit for the OL evolving into what it did).

Marrone passed up on Pugh.

So clearly Marrone hates Syracuse. It's transitive.

this has to be the dumbest circular argument of all time... they helped each other. jim boeheim wouldn't have one 900 games w 5 elvir ovcina's starting. what is the point everyone is trying to make.

Have you guys ever been friends with a couple, and everything is happy and lovey dovey for a while, and then it goes south, and it's awkward because when you see them apart all they do is talk stuff about what the other person used to do, completely disregard the good times, and outright villify the ex's character?

Yeah. That's what's happening right now guys. It's ugly, and it's part of the grieving process. Marrone's going to get very little benefit of the doubt related to anything for a little while. It's irrational, it's illogical, and it's life.

AND IT'S FREAKING AWESOME IF YOU HAD TO PUT UP WITH READING YEARS OF MAN LOVE FOR A GUY YOU NEVER LIKED

It boils down to this though. We don't know what Nassib would have become without Marrone. We don't know what Marrone would have become without Nassib. I do think though that Marrone's a football lifer through and through, and maybe Nassib isn't, so from the perspective of who would have had fewer opportunities that they would really care about without the other, I think it's reasonable to believe Marrone was more dependent on Nassib.

It's a two-way street. Bet those thinking Ryan got FHCDM the Bills job were really pissed at Doug's "exit strategy". He appeared to have lied - repeatedly, and embarrassed the school and Floyd Little in the process. But any resentment, understandable as it may be, shouldn't diminish the job he did at SU. Agree, that in the end it's best they parted ways. Plus for us non-Bills fans, who don't particularly appreciate Marrone's ethics, it would've been hard to root on their QB and against the coach. Maybe Ryan will get to go home to the Iggles ...

Have you guys ever been friends with a couple, and everything is happy and lovey dovey for a while, and then it goes south, and it's awkward because when you see them apart all they do is talk stuff about what the other person used to do, completely disregard the good times, and outright villify the ex's character?

Yeah. That's what's happening right now guys. It's ugly, and it's part of the grieving process. Marrone's going to get very little benefit of the doubt related to anything for a little while. It's irrational, it's illogical, and it's life.

AND IT'S FREAKING AWESOME IF YOU HAD TO PUT UP WITH READING YEARS OF MAN LOVE FOR A GUY YOU NEVER LIKED

It boils down to this though. We don't know what Nassib would have become without Marrone. We don't know what Marrone would have become without Nassib. I do think though that Marrone's a football lifer through and through, and maybe Nassib isn't, so from the perspective of who would have had fewer opportunities that they would really care about without the other, I think it's reasonable to believe Marrone was more dependent on Nassib.

marrone would've gotten another high paying football job. nassib is smart and would do well at any job i'm sure but pay bump he gets from being an NFL player is greater than marrone's.

marrone would've gotten another high paying football job. nassib is smart and would do well at any job i'm sure but pay bump he gets from being an NFL player is greater than marrone's.
Fair enough.

I believe good reports from Bill Parcells and his bosses at New Orleans had more to do with him getting hired than anything. I could care less what Chucky or Kiper say about it. The Marrone/Nassib was symbiotic. Does anyone here think Nassib was a 1st round consideration without Marrone/Hackett?

I love you reed but this logic is also silly. It's not like it was Ryan vs. Geno out there on the field, there were other players out there. I would also argue that Marrone outcoached WVU 3 times as well. Do you think that Syracuse would have been 0-3 vs. WVU if they had Ryan and we had Geno Smith? Doubtful.

The reason for the original post is not demeaning to Ryan at all. It's the fact that saying "Ryan is reason Doug got the Buffalo job" discounts the remarkable coaching job Doug did here at Syracuse.

Same to you CIL, great poster. I'm mostly grousing. You and Milly and others make a good point -- it's not like Buffalo took Gino over Ryan. So the 0-3 argument has limited application here, no question. The general point was that Ryan is a legit prospect that could have done well at Buffalo, and he was a big part of the success of the Syracuse program (thus Marone's success). I'm pretty sure Marone would admit as much.

As far as the EJ Manuel selection, Marone certainly has a right/obligation to do what's best for Buffalo. No doubt the choice stung for Ryan, but it may turn out that Manuel was the right guy for the Bills ... for the reasons others have pointed out. That's what the draft is for.

However... I'm a Syracuse fan, first and foremost. I think Ryan's going to be fine -- he'll get drafted and I think he's capable of playing in the NFL. Whether he's first round material ... I'm not really qualified to say and that issue is now moot.

But I certainly don't come away from the draft (at least last night) feeling any warmer or fuzzier about Buffalo than I did before.

I don't disagree with the whoel post, but this argument of Nassib going 3-0 against the top QB in the draft seems silly. Never did anyone think that WVU was a defensive juggernaut. Their strength was their offense, Ryan deserves credit for what he did in those games, but it was hardly Ryan v. Geno. It was Geno being locked in the damn building with Scott Shafer's henchmen on the attack. I think being 0-3 against Syracuse reflects poorly on Geno considering the expectations of those games, but the head to head match up just doesn't decide an argument when you are discussing who to take a struggling franchis into the future.

The sad thing for Bills fans is that the answer likely was not even in this draft class.

You're right -- it's not a great comparison .. b/c buffalo didn't take Geno over Ryan. It's just an example of the fact that Ryan's a legitimate player who had a big role in Syracuse's success the last few seasons. And that success is why Marone stood out over other candidates.

Regardless, I certainly understand why Buffalo would take a prospect like Manuel. He's got size and athleticism over Nassib.

But don't expect the 'Cuse fans you've (Buffalo) been wooing to buy any tickets to see a kid from florida state when all of central new york would have been rooting for Nassib.

I'd argue Pugh did more for Marrone than Nassib. Our OL was incredible this year, and Pugh was pretty much a rock solid starter for him in much of his regime (Marrone deservedly gets the credit for the OL evolving into what it did).

Marrone passed up on Pugh.

So clearly Marrone hates Syracuse. It's transitive.

Love Pugh and he made a huge difference. But we're 2-10, maybe worse without Nassib.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Love Pugh and he made a huge difference. But we're 2-10, maybe worse without Nassib.

That would make for a pretty bleak view on 2013.

If the other QBs on the roster would have provided only a 2 win season tops given our OL, RBs, WRs, Defense, 4 year staff continuity, how far along could they really be just one year later? With a mostly new staff, an OL that won't be as good, WRs that likely won't be as good, a defense that can't be much better than a push. Oh, and throw in a tougher schedule.

Will we win 1 game this year?

Drew Allen, your life is calling.

If I have to pick the one person outside of Marrone who did the most to get HCDM the gig in Buffalo I would pick our current HC Schafer

Would Syracuse have finished above .500 without Nassib? Probably not.

Would HCDM have gotten the Buffalo gig if he didn't finish above .500? Probably not.

Would Nassib be even in the discussion for a first round pick if he hadn't played under HCDM? Probably Not

If Nassib had not ever played for HCDM would HCDM ever get a shot at a HC position in the NFL? Probably

If Nassib had not ever played for HCDM, would he ever had a shot at being a 1st round pick? Probably Not

Is this argument the most asinine one I've ever seen? Probably.

Same to you CIL, great poster. I'm mostly grousing. You and Milly and others make a good point -- it's not like Buffalo took Gino over Ryan. So the 0-3 argument has limited application here, no question. The general point was that Ryan is a legit prospect that could have done well at Buffalo, and he was a big part of the success of the Syracuse program (thus Marone's success). I'm pretty sure Marone would admit as much.

As far as the EJ Manuel selection, Marone certainly has a right/obligation to do what's best for Buffalo. No doubt the choice stung for Ryan, but it may turn out that Manuel was the right guy for the Bills ... for the reasons others have pointed out. That's what the draft is for.

However... I'm a Syracuse fan, first and foremost. I think Ryan's going to be fine -- he'll get drafted and I think he's capable of playing in the NFL. Whether he's first round material ... I'm not really qualified to say and that issue is now moot.

But I certainly don't come away from the draft (at least last night) feeling any warmer or fuzzier about Buffalo than I did before.
you may have your answer in there though.

he knows nassib all too well, and didnt want him in the pros.

he looks at geno and goes...i beat this guy 3 freakin times in college, why would i want him in the pros?

game planned against barkley 2x and likely came away unimpressed.

manuel is the pick.

:noidea:

Oh Lord

That would make for a pretty bleak view on 2013.

If the other QBs on the roster would have provided only a 2 win season tops given our OL, RBs, WRs, Defense, 4 year staff continuity, how far along could they really be just one year later? With a mostly new staff, an OL that won't be as good, WRs that likely won't be as good, a defense that can't be much better than a push. Oh, and throw in a tougher schedule.

Will we win 1 game this year?

Drew Allen, your life is calling.

They're all a year more experienced and stronger this year.

you may have your answer in there though.

he knows nassib all too well, and didnt want him in the pros.

he looks at geno and goes...i beat this guy 3 freakin times in college, why would i want him in the pros?

game planned against barkley 2x and likely came away unimpressed.

manuel is the pick.

:noidea:

Oh Lord

Well this might be true. It might not, at least the first part. NFL drafting is about fit. And if Marone is serious about option... Manuel is probably the better candidate. That doesn't mean that he didn't have a positive experience with Nassib. Quite the contrary, he seemed to be aglow about Nassib most of the time I heard him. So I doubt the statement, "he didn't want him in the pros" is accurate.

No analyst that I know of thinks Nassib is not pro material. They all seem to think he can play. The question is..what's the best fit. Nassib's a pocket passer ... he CAN run the hurry up (all in vogue now), but he'd be a better fit as a pocket passer. There are a few of those left that are pretty good ... the Mannings for two (no im not making a comparison).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom