Do recruits read this board? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Do recruits read this board?

If a recruit is willing to consider SU after watching the staff in action on gameday I hardly think anything a fan could say would impact that recruit in any meaningful way.

Chip said:
I hope they read this board. I fear that if they see our Dome attendance and see a 3-9 record followed by a 3-5 start, they'd think no one cares. This board is proof that people do.

Caring is a lame excuse for some of the stuff.

Last edited:
Many of their parents do and probably some players. What I find as an interesting dynamic is that some people have always said in the recruiting board that only nice nice discussion can take place about a kid cause they and their parents might be reading it. Well if that's true I'm surprised some of those people don't realize that the zillion threads, many with over the top stuff (though a lot of that has been deleted), won't impact recruiting.
I agree that when a player is recruited or gives any type of commitment to the program, that nothing "off the wall" negative should be posted on the board about that player. For obvious reasons. However for the last two weeks (if not longer) the negative posts have been about Shafer and his game time decisions. We are not recruiting Shafer, we are preparing for the worst with his situation. I don't think it will matter one way or another what we the fans believe. These kids are going to do their homework and evaluate whether Shafer will return next year or not.

Last edited:
I didn't get that, either. He opened it up for discussion, but I didn't get the sense he was openly calling for his job.
he was questioning his job, and ability---i thought that was pretty clear. he also sounded upset, angry and disgusted to me. therefore ---he is a fan

The one thing I will say is that, if a recruit is looking at this board, he's looking at other boards as well. And there's not a single fan board in the world of sports that doesn't have an insane amount of vitriol and knee jerk reactions, and and overwhelming amount of criticism of players, coaches, and the school in general.
Exactly!! 100% correct

he made it pretty clear that it's not working. He didn't overtly say it but Sean isn't a dumb guy. He was sending a message through his pulpit there. It's completely embarassing for a team to be on national tv and the announcers spend a quarter talking about the future and if the coach should be there. FULL DISCLOSURE: i've met sean a few times and he's calculating as hell (in a good way).

I sometimes wonder if he is more irritable with the Kahlua or without.

So you are saying Georgetown doesn't suck?!?! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You sir should be banned from this board!! couchburncouchburncouchburncouchburncouchburn
Not at all. I was simply saying them sucking isn't why.

That's exactly right, and is part of the reason why all the hand wringing on this board over recruits reading any negativity mystifies me. It is a strange combination of arrogance/hubris of the board's influence in the grand scheme of things, and an extremely low opinion of the intelligence and judgment of recruits and their support networks.

Why make a bad situation worse?

Caring is a lame excuse for some of the stuff.

Well, the world, and the board, has always had ditchdiggers.

Every other school has them to.

Not much you can do, other than eliminate their access.

(please don't put me in the ditchdigger list).

Stern said:
Exactly!! 100% correct

Not here.

Chip said:
Well, the world, and the board, has always had ditchdiggers. Every other school has them to. Not much you can do, other than eliminate their access. (please don't put me in the ditchdigger list).

Yep, every fan base has their immature children. No denying that. And all we can do is delete posts and eliminate access. Don't know why one person can be critical of something and do it in a mature way while another has to act like its a free for all.

If there is one thing Harbaugh is, it's "respectful".

:blah:

Hey everyone,

Longtime lurker and occasional reader/participant :)

The situation today is similar to 2008. Shafer isn't coming off 4 terrible years, but in today's win now environment, everyone (himself included) is aware that his job is on the line if the season continues to spiral.

My experience with the board as the father of a recruit was that the troubles the team faced had nothing to do with us - somehow, the new class would come in and things would change for the better. Of course, when Robinson was fired, that caused quite a bit of uncertainty in the interim.

I think most parents - doubt recruits themselves pay any attention to this stuff - probably have the same detached view. Their kids aren't on campus yet, so none of these current issues plaguing the program impact their kids. Obviously some will be concerned regarding the future of the staff and if there is a coaching change - you can bet they are keeping their options open.

Being a few years removed from the daily interaction on the board (I only tend to read a handful of select threads here and there anymore), I think the fan base has changed a bit with regard to the critique of the team. I almost smiled when I saw following the Pitt game the reaction to the game Ishmael had despite the one bad drop. A few years ago, the commentary was along the lines of DI receivers can't drop a ball like that. I can't count the number of NFL games I watched during that time, seeing NFL receivers drop balls and laughing because of the expectations of a few on here that if you drop a ball you shouldn't be a DI football player. Anyway, just an observation...

Hope the rest of the season goes well! Really like to see Shafer succeed here and hope the best for the kids that leave it all out on the field on Saturday :)

Last edited:
rundeal said:
Hey everyone, Longtime lurker and occasional reader/participant :) The situation today is similar to 2008. Shafer isn't coming off 4 terrible years, but in today's win now environment, everyone (himself included) is aware that his job is on the line if the season continues to spiral. My experience with the board as the father of a recruit was that the troubles the team faced had nothing to do with us - somehow, the new class would come in and things would change for the better. Of course, when Robinson was fired, that caused quite a bit of uncertainty in the interim. I think most parents - doubt recruits themselves pay any attention to this stuff - probably have the same detached view. Their kids aren't on campus yet, so none of these current issues plaguing the program impact their kids. Obviously some will be concerned regarding the future of the staff and if there is a coaching change - you can bet they are keeping their options open. Being a few years removed from the daily interaction on the board (I only tend to read a handful of select threads here and there anymore), I think the fan base has changed a bit with regard to the critique of the team. I almost smile when I saw following the Pitt game the reaction to the game Ishmael had despite the one bad drop. A few years ago, the commentary was along the lines of DI receivers can't drop a ball like that. I can't count the number of NFL games I watched during that time, seeing NFL receivers drop balls and laughing because of the expectations of a few on here that if you drop a ball you shouldn't be a DI football player. Anyway, just an observation... Hope the rest of the season goes well! Really like to see Shafer succeed here and hope the best for the kids that leave it all out on the field on Saturday :)

So when you coming to a game?

So when you coming to a game?

I've actually trekked up to St Lawrence University - WAY up in North Country a couple times for some D3 football action. SLU is on the cusp of winning the Liberty League with a win over Hobart this weekend. Brandon's been coaching the WR unit there the last 2 years and will be looking for his next gig this winter.

rundeal said:
I've actually trekked up to St Lawrence University - WAY up in North Country a couple times for some D3 football action. SLU is on the cusp of winning the Liberty League with a win over Hobart this weekend. Brandon's been coaching the WR unit there the last 2 years and will be looking for his next gig this winter.

I've spent time at SLU back in the day when I was at Clarkson.

No kidding! Did you see any away games? We played St. Lawrence Week 1 this season.

No kidding! Did you see any away games? We played St. Lawrence Week 1 this season.

That was a big win for Morrisville a bad loss for SLU. Haven't been to any away games, for either SLU or SU - our schedules are hectic enough! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom