Do recruits read this board? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Do recruits read this board?

Any coach on the hot seat has message board chatter about. Go to the Rutgers board, they have the same posts we have. You want to play for a guy who cant get fired? Go to Michigan or Alabama. Pretty much everyone else is fair game right now.

Your comparing the trials and tribulations of the Rutgers football program this season to Syracuse. Really?

I agree with that. Then why do people get so concerned about it on the recruiting board?
I get concerned about it when people are talking specifically about the recruit. I accept that critique and negativity will prevail in game day and coaching threads. It bothers me, personally, when someone starts going after high school kids with that same level of negativity and cynicism.

I also have an issue with the same level of negativity about the program in general in recruit threads because, seriously, why is it there? We have an entire forum where people can blow off steam. I hate when it carries over into threads about recruits. That's not the place for those discussions, IMO.

Last edited:
There's a difference between intelligent negative discussion and immature childish rants. I'd expect most to understand that. And I don't care what "other" boards do.
I try to bring intelligence in most of posts. I don't think my opinion matters more than anyone else's opinion. I never said anything about other boards. I tend to try and completely lay off the kids and go after the coaches. The coaches are the ones being paid.
I don't hide my opinion.

Alsacs said:
I try to bring intelligence in most of posts. I don't think my opinion matters more than anyone else's opinion. I never said anything about other boards. I tend to try and completely lay off the kids and go after the coaches. The coaches are the ones being paid. I don't hide my opinion.

Yours aren't the immature rants.

Your comparing the trials and tribulations of the Rutgers football program this season to Syracuse. Really?

Not looking at their off the field problems, just that, like us, they arent winning football games and arent competitive vs the big boys. They, like us, are upset and want a coaching change.

To the OP we should probably tell them its the same 15-20 members continually posting the same stuff under a new header each day and then perpetuated by that same group of 15-20 members all of which have nothing to do with any decision making involving the Head Coach of the football team.

That would be my summation.

By the way, I'll repost since it seems currently relevant in the sports world based upon his retirement. HOF and nationally revered coach Frank Beamer had a .364 winning percentage (24-40-2) in his first 6 years (1987-1992) at Virginia Tech.

2-9
3-8
6-4-1
6-5
5-6
2-8-1

Looking back, I would surmise that retention of Coach Beamer worked out pretty well for that program.

If Coach Shafer finishes this season with a winning record like Beamer did in his 3rd season then no one is having this discussion.

To the OP we should probably tell them its the same 15-20 members continually posting the same stuff under a new header each day and then perpetuated by that same group of 15-20 members all of which have nothing to do with any decision making involving the Head Coach of the football team.

That would be my summation.

By the way, I'll repost since it seems currently relevant in the sports world based upon his retirement. HOF and nationally revered coach Frank Beamer had a .364 winning percentage (24-40-2) in his first 6 years (1987-1992) at Virginia Tech.

2-9
3-8
6-4-1
6-5
5-6
2-8-1

Looking back, I would surmise that retention of Coach Beamer worked out pretty well for that program.
Are you seriously advocating keeping a coach with that record in today's world?

I imagine that whatever is posted here pales in comparison to what assistant coaches from other programs are saying about SU.
That's exactly right, and is part of the reason why all the hand wringing on this board over recruits reading any negativity mystifies me. It is a strange combination of arrogance/hubris of the board's influence in the grand scheme of things, and an extremely low opinion of the intelligence and judgment of recruits and their support networks.

Yeah, neither of those had anything to do with what they thought about Shafer. And Clark didn't back out of his commitment, we backed out of taking it. That's a fact.

I just meant they probably don't want to play for Shafer now.

I also understand they may be head cases, but they're TALENTED head cases.

leftytg said:
That's exactly right, and is part of the reason why all the hand wringing on this board over recruits reading any negativity mystifies me. It is a strange combination of arrogance/hubris of the board's influence in the grand scheme of things, and an extremely low opinion of the intelligence and judgment of recruits and their support networks.

What hand wringing?

leftytg said:

It's not hubris. When you think of Syracuse and online communities - it's got to be Twitter, Nunes, and here. Maybe syr.com (God help us).

Kids spend so much time on the Internet/twitter - they do end up reading this stuff. We know this. Recruits and their families have told us.

I do agree that they are able to decipher what they want through a pretty sophisticated lense.

If Coach Shafer finishes this season with a winning record like Beamer did in his 3rd season then no one is having this discussion.
I call bull on that. If Shafer beats NC state, L'ville, and BC, most of the same ones calling for his head now, will be calling for his head then as well. Just like 2 years ago when we beat NC State, Maryland, BC, Wake, Tulane, Wagner, Minnesota. People were calling for his head by week 6 last year.

I think recruits would enjoy seeing a fan base with a desire to win. We want a coach that will give these players the best chance to improve and win games.

OttoinGrotto said:
Recruits don't read the Georgetown board.

Would you? Their format is horrible to read.

I would think losing record and what is occurring on the field would affect a recruit's thinking more than message board banter. JMO.

Any recruit or their family that reads the stuff here should get the takeaway message that we the fans want a good, respected, winning program. I think that's what they want also. These board discussions revolve almost entirely about what we amateurs think are the best ways to achieve those goals. They must certainly realize that we have almost zero impact on what actually happens.

I think it's actually good for recruits to see an interested and enthusiastic fan base discuss these things.

To clarify: my question was not an assertion that board members should avoid giving their honest opinions or that they had no right to ask for a coaching change. I just thought we should address the recruits who might be reading those posts. There were some good answers. I thought Louie and Bouie and Orange Sky both had very good ones.

T
Not looking at their off the field problems, just that, like us, they arent winning football games and arent competitive vs the big boys. They, like us, are upset and want a coaching change.
Seems like they bit off more than they could chew. Anyone think we did the same thing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom