Do we have a 2014 draft 1st rounder on our roster? | Syracusefan.com

Do we have a 2014 draft 1st rounder on our roster?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Thickburger would seem like the most obvious choice, but there are only a handful of seniors that go in the 1st round every year.

After that, people on the board are pretty excited about Grant, but it's an MCW like jump to go from being 4th on the depth chart at your position to being the 1st round.

After that, who knows? Maybe Coleman if he blows up? Ennis?

Is it possible our next 1st rounder selected is a guy not even on the roster yet (McCullough)?

I think CJ and Grant could both go in the 1st round next year. Hopefully we won't have to worry about Grant.

As far as McCullough goes, he's not just a lock 1st rounder, but a potential #1 overall in 2015.

C.J. Fair is a draft pick next year, and Coleman could be a 1st round pick if he has a breakout year. I don't think Ennis, Grant will leave next year, but they could be 1st rounders as well.

Thickburger would seem like the most obvious choice, but there are only a handful of seniors that go in the 1st round every year.

After that, people on the board are pretty excited about Grant, but it's an MCW like jump to go from being 4th on the depth chart at your position to being the 1st round.

After that, who knows? Maybe Coleman if he blows up? Ennis?

Is it possible our next 1st rounder selected is a guy not even on the roster yet (McCullough)?

Yeah, Fair is a great bet to go in the 1st. Coleman...not so much. He has some "blowing up" to do just to be an average player in the ACC next year.

Yeah, Fair is a great bet to go in the 1st. Coleman...not so much. He has some "blowing up" to do just to be an average player in the ACC next year.

I think Coleman has the potential, and in most years if he blew up and averaged, say, 12 and 8 and shot 50+% from the field he'd be a good bet to go in the first. Next year, however, I don't see it just because it's such a strong draft class so it'll bump some marginal first rounders out.

Certainly odds on favorite is CJ - he was borderline first round but opted back. JB will showcase him and CJ has to leave.

Next is Grant. He probably will be a borderline first round prospect at the end of the year. But the people in his ear seem to be advising him for a long NBA career, not just making it in. This was shown in part when Grant came here, to a situation where his frosh minutes looked limited. It just doesn't seem like his strategy is to bolt at the first scent of possible drafting. I've liked how this guy is operating right from the start.

Next the odds are tied between McCollough and Ennis. Sure McCollough leads in pure draft potential but Ennis has the possibility if things break right (for him) to leave after just one year (which is before McC is even eligible). IMO, Ennis, unlike Grant, is looking for the first opportunity. Ennis has already made life altering sacrafices to try and get in (HS in the States as apposed to Canada). A couple mill would make it all seem worthwhile.

To answer this question, right now Chad Ford has Jerami as the #18 prospect on his top 100 for the 2014 draft and projects him as a mid-first round pick RIGHT NOW.

To put that in perspective, I believe last year after the season he had MCW ranked in the mid-20's.

He has CJ as #51, and projects him to be second round or undrafted, which is bull but oh well.

I say no.

CJ is a 2nd rounder (23 year old college combo forwards are not a hot commodity in the first round)
Gbinije, Grant, Roc, Roberson all have the body and/or athleticism, but have a lot of proving to do.
I think DC will have a breakout season for the Orange, but I think he's an undersized 5 in the NBA and another 2nd rounder at best.

I think DC will have a breakout season for the Orange, but I think he's an undersized 5 in the NBA and another 2nd rounder at best.

Agreed on Coleman. he can have a nice year, but he's pretty much got to be a 5 in the NBA, right?

Agreed on Coleman. he can have a nice year, but he's pretty much got to be a 5 in the NBA, right?
I think so . . . I know someone is going to point to Sullinger, but Sully is significantly lighter and has quite a bit more lateral agility.

then again, maybe DC shows up this year at a svelte 265 and wows us with his mobility. I will gladly eat this post if that happens.

I think so . . . I know someone is going to point to Sullinger, but Sully is significantly lighter and has quite a bit more lateral agility.

then again, maybe DC shows up this year at a svelte 265 and wows us with his mobility. I will gladly eat this post if that happens.
Id say his weight right now is right around there.

Yeah, Sully was my first thought as well for a best case, but he was also a stud as a freshmen. Seems like a huge leap for Coleman to make

Which is why someone like Zach Randolph may be a better comparison. Randolph has better touch, of course.

JG mid first round
CJ early second round

I really hope Grant doesn't leave after next year (lord knows his family doesn't need the money), but if he does it's nice to know that we've got Tyler Roberson ready to slide in and take his spot with a year of experience under his belt.

This must be what it feels like to be "loaded".

I don't know what his weight is right now but he is in great physical shape. He's not 6'10" and 205 but he's as lean as I have ever saw him and that's from 2 feet away. he needs not to lose any weight.

JG mid first round
CJ early second round

This is around what I'm thinking. I could even see Grant going Top 10. He's got the size, pedigree, athleticism, and his ceiling is extremely high. Everyone else stays. Coleman will be a good 4 year player.

I'm concerned how Grant's bout of mono is going to impact his off-season workouts. It's hard to put on weight and improve your game when you're sick in bed.

Everybody is sleeping on Gbinije.
Fair, is to consistant to not be a possible first round.
Dajuan once they realize he can play pf at the nba level could be.
Ennis if he proves he can run a dribble drive pg role could also be.
Grant will need atleast a Jr. year for his scoring to really come around.

Everybody is sleeping on Gbinije.
Fair, is to consistant to not be a possible first round.
Dajuan once they realize he can play pf at the nba level could be.
Ennis if he proves he can run a dribble drive pg role could also be.
Grant will need atleast a Jr. year for his scoring to really come around.

What are people like you basing their optimism about Gbinije on--his high school rep? He didn't get enough floor time at Duke to show anything one way or the other. We didn't hear much about him in practice last year because the Melo Center is not exactly Manley when it comes to practice access. I'm not doubting he could be a good player just wondering how anyone would know if that's the case.

Yeah, Sully was my first thought as well for a best case, but he was also a stud as a freshmen. Seems like a huge leap for Coleman to make
the other thing is that Sully and DC are the same age, or about 5-6 months apart, so Sully's development curve has been much steeper.

sometimes I think the secret of JB's success is that he gets players who are old for their class and thus simply more physically mature than our opponents.

the other thing is that Sully and DC are the same age, or about 5-6 months apart, so Sully's development curve has been much steeper.

sometimes I think the secret of JB's success is that he gets players who are old for their class and thus simply more physically mature than our opponents.

Good point, with BJ Johnson being an exception to the rule...

another thing is Sully played great in his first college season and DC threw up a bunch of airballs from 2'

See, I just don't know if Grant will see the ball enough to get the exposure generally needed to go in the 1st.

C.J. Fair is a draft pick next year, and Coleman could be a 1st round pick if he has a breakout year. I don't think Ennis, Grant will leave next year, but they could be 1st rounders as well.

Coleman is prefectly proportioned to play center next to Paul Harris at PF on whatever NBA team Paul is on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom