Do we have the best D in the ACC? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Do we have the best D in the ACC?

I really wish Josh Hough was ready to roll (in his development) because I'd love to have some actual beef in the middle... And I know, I get it, the way we run the 3-3-5 calls for lighter, quicker linemen but Josh played RB so he has speed, and some extra lb's would help with the run.
wishful thinking. If it happens, it will be in 2 years.

Stop the run against the upcoming opponents and then an objective view on how good they are can be decided

We got dogs on D.

How’d the other dude that was here for 3 minutes from SDSU before Tony White make out?

I really wish Josh Hough was ready to roll (in his development) because I'd love to have some actual beef in the middle... And I know, I get it, the way we run the 3-3-5 calls for lighter, quicker linemen but Josh played RB so he has speed, and some extra lb's would help with the run.

Once he gets healthy and gets back into shape, there's no reason why he can't be an important cog at DT.

He's 6-3 -- so he should be able to easily carry 285+.

We've seen a microscopic sample size of what the kid can do and we're already writing him off. Unreal.

Was just thinking the same, complete with more hand wringing about the D line!. As if nobody ever ran the ball against us when we had 2-3 6th year seniors last year, think these guys are doing just fine.

Do I think they are best in ACC? I do not but they are good and yes most likely the next 6 teams will have more success than the teams we have played previously as they are better teams. Crazy I know.

I think the 1st string defense is probably as good as anybody's. I suspect a team like Clemson has better depth.

It's hard to say...but we'll know in 2 Saturdays.
NC St. is kind of a power team. I believe they can run or throw.
We hold them in the mid/upper 20s, that would be one heckuva
accomplishment.

No we haven't -- he's only at the beginning stages of his playing career.
Sorry, I have to be super literal. The discussion is about the 2022 defense and as of now, he can't play too many snaps.

I'm a cuse fan and wear orange colored glasses but I also know the sport.

Sorry, I have to be super literal. The discussion is about the 2022 defense and as of now, he can't play too many snaps.

I'm a cuse fan and wear orange colored glasses but I also know the sport.

It's absurd that you're making that claim, when he only saw spot minutes prior to Wagner.

No orange colored glasses needed to acknowledge that.

I want to see what Fuentes-Cundiff / Bassette can do before going that far.

Both were quality "gets" for our program.

Next man up.

Speaking of Fuentes and not writing him off at all with this comment

-Maybe it was just the opponent but against Wagner when I could pick him out on D I was very unimpressed with his motor. Seemed to be half assing it on a number of plays to me. Was a little disheartening to see. That said it was hard picking him out all the time but what I did see wasn't super encouraging. I have zero doubt if that's the actual case White will be all over it.

515D6A18-3A0A-4183-B253-C0810EB04BEF.jpeg

We’re not best.

We’re gonna feel Thompson’s absence vs the run these upcoming games.

Hopefully our guys wrap and finish tackles..

We’re not best.

We’re gonna feel Thompson’s absence vs the run these upcoming games.

Hopefully our guys wrap and finish tackles..
Fortunately we do have a good tackling D.

I think we have 2 (Jones, Williams), maybe 3 (Wax) players who will be finalists for ACC Defensive Player of the Year.

I think we have the best defensive coordinator in the league.

Over time, I'd be surprised if it's the best defense, but top 3 or 4 for sure.

Fortunately we do have a good tackling D.
Need McDonald and Marlowe to work with the safeties to sure up the edge. Im really worried about our defense vs any runner who breaks through to the second level.

Somebody has to step up and give Darton a rest. Do any of the guys that are replacing Thompsons size because he is a beast. I do like McDonald, Lowrey and Sparrow very much, very talented and hopefully the Wagner game and bye have given them much needed reps along with Dartons subs to get ready for the gauntlet of a schedule coming up.

Not sure how long McDonald will be dinged up -- hopefully sitting the Wagner game plus the bye week is what it takes to get him ready.

But I do think that Thompson's / McDonald's absence has enabled Sparrow and Lowery to get their sea legs. Going forward, we should have a viable 5 LB rotation, pending health.

If there's a silver lining to Thompson getting injured [and I'm not suggesting in any way, shape, or form that we're better off without him], that's it.

Last edited:
Clemson and NC State looked really good against each other. Clemson's offense wore down NC State's D by the middle of the 3rd quarter. Games 6 & 7 will reveal quite a bit.

SU has been remarkably good at tackling under White. My question is why? Every teaches tackling. Everyone practices tackling. What are they doing different to make it stick? I can’t remember a defense who man for man tackle this well.

SU has been remarkably good at tackling under White. My question is why? Every teaches tackling. Everyone practices tackling. What are they doing different to make it stick? I can’t remember a defense who man for man tackle this well.

That is not true. Not everyone teaches tackling. IIRC, I believe one of the issues with Frost was he didn't allow full tackling in practices. I'm sure other coaches have the same philosophy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom