Do we have the best D in the ACC? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Do we have the best D in the ACC?

If we can keep it together without anymore injuries and field a good defense, like we have up to this point, it will attract some talent for next year. Hopefully more guys like Perry will want to be a part of this awesome defense on a ranked team.

That is not true. Not everyone teaches tackling. IIRC, I believe one of the issues with Frost was he didn't allow full tackling in practices. I'm sure other coaches have the same philosophy.
I’ve assumed the “no tackling” approach was for only when the season was in full play. Even HCSS had his “thud” practices. Are you saying this is the difference?

It's hard to say...but we'll know in 2 Saturdays.
NC St. is kind of a power team. I believe they can run or throw.
We hold them in the mid/upper 20s, that would be one heckuva
accomplishment.
nc st ran for 133 111 169 34 in the games that matter

if we keep them in the 125 range thats fine.. The question is will they throw for 300..

but they di pass 211 159 323 245 With Conn being the game they did the most in both run and passing..

nc st ran for 133 111 169 34 in the games that matter

if we keep them in the 125 range thats fine.. The question is will they throw for 300..

but they di pass 211 159 323 245 With Conn being the game they did the most in both run and passing..

Yeah, ‘holding’ them to 125-ish rushing and 250-ish passing, and our chances to take the L rise substantially.
Total O needs to be < 400 yarfs.

Major caveats being: we can’t have multiple giveaways and/or 10+ penalties.

Hope so, but unlikely to work well against the next 3 opponents. The offense has to be humming after the bye.
Have you studied those offenses?

To me the way we run the 3-3-5 it's a bend don't break scheme. We're gonna give up chunk plays on the ground, but we're also going to have opportunities for our secondary to make plays. When those opportunities arise we NEED to capitalize on them, and often we do. That being said, we're not the best D in the league. At the very least NC St and Clemson have stingier defenses. We will give up 400+ yards in a game atleast 3 more times this year. The key is, can we win the turnover battle, and can we play clean football?

To me the way we run the 3-3-5 it's a bend don't break scheme. We're gonna give up chunk plays on the ground, but we're also going to have opportunities for our secondary to make plays. When those opportunities arise we NEED to capitalize on them, and often we do. That being said, we're not the best D in the league. At the very least NC St and Clemson have stingier defenses. We will give up 400+ yards in a game atleast 3 more times this year. The key is, can we win the turnover battle, and can we play clean football?
This is about the way I feel. We are better in some areas but overall I feel Clemson and Nc state are better.

Last edited:
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

good post agree 100%.

FWIW, we’re graded the 2nd best offense in the ACC behind Florida St and the 4th best special teams.

Not a knock on your post or the one above that lists how highly we rank nationally on defense, but the Wagner game has to heavily influence both data sets.

Not suggesting that other teams don't have tomato can stats factored into their rankings.

Not a knock on your post or the one above that lists how highly we rank nationally on defense, but the Wagner game has to heavily influence both data sets.

Not suggesting that other teams don't have tomato can stats factored into their rankings.

Yes, and yes. So stipulated.

All that said - I’m sure all the other teams with great stats have played at least one “stats game” against a soupcan.
(Like we used to vs Rutgers in the later 80’s and 90’s. ;))

Certainly three are many ways to measure “best.” But to me it’s: points and takeaways.
I have no problem giving up some yards as long as the D eventually gets the ball back for the O. I don’t think SU is the best. But it’s good enough to keep us in every game. And right now that’s a lot.

Well, sometimes. When we dial up pressure it isn’t. But I agree that our approach is largely to prevent big plays and force the offense to beat you.

I imagine we’ll break out a couple more exotic looks on blitzes against NCState. Their QB is really good but so is our secondary, and he doesn’t have that beast sized wide receiver they’ve had in the past (Harmon?)

The thing is, you can have a great defense, it's still going to give up points, and sometimes at a time when you don't want them to.

With the oversimplified thinking that the best defense is a good offense, part of the reason the defense has been good is because our offense has reliably moved the ball and converted scoring chances this season. That gives them a breather, and breathing room. We want to keep scoring so the defense can play free and easy.

We're going to have some games like Purdue where teams move the ball on us and score. It's alright. We just need our offense to be a little more successful.

We have all the ingredients.

Current team rushing ranking for our remaining opponents(ranking is based on rushing yards per game):

FSU 25
Clemson 51
Pitt 61
ND 65
Wake 93
NC State 95
BC 125

I don’t know, not seeing any triple option type numbers here

BC and NC State's run games do not scare me one bit. FSU & Clemson worry me. I don't worry about WF running, but I sure as heck worry about Sam Hartman throwing it all over the field. I think that is the 2nd most difficult game on our schedule after Clemson. Other than Clemson and WF, I think any game is very winnable.

The thing is, you can have a great defense, it's still going to give up points, and sometimes at a time when you don't want them to.

With the oversimplified thinking that the best defense is a good offense, part of the reason the defense has been good is because our offense has reliably moved the ball and converted scoring chances this season. That gives them a breather, and breathing room. We want to keep scoring so the defense can play free and easy.

We're going to have some games like Purdue where teams move the ball on us and score. It's alright. We just need our offense to be a little more successful.

We have all the ingredients.

144% THIS.

Defense can't be expected to pitch a shutout every week.
And offenses have gotten more sophisticated and explosive, so it's really all about limiting the other team, more than they limit you.

Our guys have consistently been able to do that to date.

It helps dramatically when they are rested, not having to constantly go back out onto the field after 3-and-outs.
And it also helps when they know that the O will pick them up, if/when they give up points.

BC and NC State's run games do not scare me one bit. FSU & Clemson worry me. I don't worry about WF running, but I sure as heck worry about Sam Hartman throwing it all over the field. I think that is the 2nd most difficult game on our schedule after Clemson. Other than Clemson and WF, I think any game is very winnable.

Hartman throws all over everybody. not much you can do

I’ve assumed the “no tackling” approach was for only when the season was in full play. Even HCSS had his “thud” practices. Are you saying this is the difference?

I'm saying Dino teaches and allows tackling. You can see it in the clips from the Summer sessions during 11 on 11. I'm also saying that I recall reading one of the issues that came out of the Frost firings was his position on no tackling during Summer sessions. At least that's what I recall, but I'm getting old and tend to forget things. However, there certainly are coaches out there that don't have their players tackle during the year. Didn't a Columbia professor years ago exclaim that tackling during practice was not needed? The media jumped on it and I'm sure some coaches did to.

totally agree. Wake is winnable but definitely 2nd hardest game left for sure.

Good thoughts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom