Do we want 4 year players or 1 and dones? | Syracusefan.com

Do we want 4 year players or 1 and dones?

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
I ask this because Lydon's a sophomore and people are already writing him off here because he doesn't score enough for some.

We get 1 year guys and they don't produce enough for some people and they complain when they leave early.

We get 4 year players, but they aren't good because they don't produce enough(Cooney/Triche/Scoop)

Are people here patient enough to let players develop and help us late, or do you want 1 and done's that never reach potential here?

It seems like more and more every year people are complaining about all our players? So why are people watching if you don't like our players?

We win far more with program players.

Brandon Triche, *mic drop*.

Ideally you get a mix. The way players are developing here I think I would vote for the 1 and done. We need guys with second contract NBA talent.

I will take 4 year guys like CJ Fair or Brandon Triche.

I don't want 1 and dones. Unless they are Melo types.

We win far more with program players.

Brandon Triche, *mic drop*.

You just proved my point. People berated him on this board and we was the 2nd leading scorer on a 30 win FF team.

I ask this because Lydon's a sophomore and people are already writing him off here because he doesn't score enough for some.

We get 1 year guys and they don't produce enough for some people and they complain when they leave early.

We get 4 year players, but they aren't good because they don't produce enough(Cooney/Triche/Scoop)

Are people here patient enough to let players develop and help us late, or do you want 1 and done's that never reach potential here?

It seems like more and more every year people are complaining about all our players? So why are people watching if you don't like our players?

The one thing I would qualify, I don't think anyone cares about how much Lydon scores. I think the concern is that he will turn down good shots for the inevitability of bad shots. With 10 seconds left, I don't want to see a pump fake on an open look just to reset the offense with a PG that has a set shot. It's bad business! :) If there are 20 seconds left, or he does something with ball, he can pump fake away.

Scoop didn't produce? That's news to me. He kept them in that Elite Eight game against Ohio State that they would have won despite not having Fab Melo if Kris Joseph didn't lay an egg.

Jardine had his mishaps, but he was an effective point guard and I'd sure as hell love to have a Scoop on this team right now.

Overall, this program needs a mixture of one and done's and four year players who grow with the program and get better; Silent G and CJ Fair are the most recent examples of the latter. The problem with one and done's in Syracuse's case is that any player that hears his name in draft talks decides to leave. Waiters and MCW are the only ones of late carving out decent careers. McCullough is up and down in the D-League, Ennis is about to be out of the NBA and Malachi can't crack the rotation in Sacramento.

The one thing I would qualify, I don't think anyone cares about how much Lydon scores. I think the concern is that he will turn down good shots for the inevitability of bad shots. With 10 seconds left, I don't want to see a pump fake on an open look just to reset the offense with a PG that has a set shot. It's bad business! :) If there are 20 seconds left, or he does something with ball, he can pump fake away.

I mean if he's a SR and still doing it that's a problem. Roberson hasn't developed. I get that and people still protect him like crazy here. Lydon's our most productive sophomore since MCW.

Scoop didn't produce? That's news to me. He kept them in that Elite Eight game against Ohio State that they would have won despite not having Fab Melo if Kris Joseph didn't lay an egg.

Jardine had his mishaps, but he was an effective point guard and I'd sure as hell love to have a Scoop on this team right now.

No. You missed my point. He didn't produce enough for some and was constantly berated by the fan base as a 4 year player.

I mean if he's a SR and still doing it that's a problem. Roberson hasn't developed. I get that and people still protect him like crazy here. Lydon's our most productive sophomore since MCW.

Jerami was pretty damn good as a sophomore.

Cooney was in 2 final fours.

He wasn't a big part of the team his freshman year.

Do you think if sophomore Waiters was on the team last season instead of Cooney we were a better or worse team?

You can win in spite of people you know.

Carmelo - won a NC

MCW - Final Four

Mali - Final Four

*drops bigger mic*

A roster full of four year players with 1 "one and done" that's already really good would seem to be the ideal scenario for us. We can't do what Kentucky does. If we don't get any elite talents we max out at the sweet 16 level at best when we're experienced.

03 - Melo and a bunch of guys who ended up being 4 year players...GMac, Warrick, Duany, Pace, Forth, McNeil...Edelin would've without the issues.

13 - MCW(two and done) and 4 year guys like Fair, Christmas, Coleman, Southerland, Triche, Keita.

You recruit the best players you can. You can't look into a crystal ball and know when they'll leave. No way the staff knew Ennis was gone after a year, same can probably be said for Mali. Bring in the best talent and let the chips fall where they may.

Considering we get guys who have no business leaving early anyway, we might as well recruit guys who we know going in are leaving, at least you can prepare for that.

It's 2017. All players are one-and-done until notice that they are coming back for one more season.

I don't understand the Lydon mention, though. He's neither a one-and-done nor a four-year player. And he will leave here never reaching his full potential. People are "writing him off" because he is leaving for the NBA Draft.

A roster full of four year players with 1 "one and done" that's already really good would seem to be the ideal scenario for us. We can't do what Kentucky does. If we don't get any elite talents we max out at the sweet 16 level at best when we're experienced.

03 - Melo and a bunch of guys who ended up being 4 year players...GMac, Warrick, Duany, Pace, Forth, McNeil...Edelin would've without the issues.

13 - MCW(two and done) and 4 year guys like Fair, Christmas, Coleman, Southerland, Triche, Keita.

What would have Cuse done without Melo? Probably a one or two and out in the tournament if not worse.

Without MCW? Probably NIT.

It's 2017. All players are one-and-done until notice that they are coming back for one more season.

I don't understand the Lydon mention, though. He's neither a one-and-done nor a four-year player. And he will leave here never reaching his full potential. People are "writing him off" because he is leaving for the NBA Draft.

I don't think he's leaving but, that's just me.

We had guys killing Malachi when he left early last year and he was on a FF team. So was Lydon, yet they aren't good enough for most of the fans.

Roberson hasn't developed as a top 40 4 year player and this board protects him at all costs when Boeheim even looks at him.

I don't think he's leaving but, that's just me.

We had guys killing Malachi when he left early last year and he was on a FF team. So was Lydon, yet they aren't good enough for most of the fans.

Roberson hasn't developed as a top 40 4 year player and this board protects him at all costs when Boeheim even looks at him.

I don't either, I think its comical people are talking about him leaving.

Considering we get guys who have no business leaving early anyway, we might as well recruit guys who we know going in are leaving, at least you can prepare for that.

The staff has done that in recent years. They just haven't landed them.

Is there anyone that actually advocates targeting less talented players because they will stay for four years?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom