Do you consider doing a flip on a snowmobile a sport? | Syracusefan.com

Do you consider doing a flip on a snowmobile a sport?

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
This is one of the big events of the X games and some of these dudes are crazy. How can they let that one guy participate with only four hours of experience on a snowmobile. He is lucky he didn't kill himself but his wayward sled sent a kid to the hospital. What were people thinking when they let him participate.

I don't consider ANY X game to be a sport. Not a single one.

I'm pretty lenient with my opinions on what is a sport or not but I don't find any of these events as sports more so stunts.

That thing should have a kill switch like a jetski so if the rider falls off the engine cuts off.

The point of the event is that the rider IS off while doing stunts.

This is like a rally. If you're hugging the fence, you do so at your own risk. I don't know the back story so if it's actually a kid that got hurt, than his parents are idiots and should be held responsible. People here blaming the guy doing the stunt is uncalled for.

This is like a rally. If you're hugging the fence, you do so at your own risk. I don't know the back story so if it's actually a kid that got hurt, than his parents are idiots and should be held responsible. People here blaming the guy doing the stunt is uncalled for.
They need to have stronger safety procedures. They are really lucky no one got hurt.

I don't consider ANY X game to be a sport. Not a single one.

I consider Snowboarding and Skiing sports. I haven't watched this year.. so i don't know what else they are doing. and no i don't consider anything involving snowmobiles a sport... then again i don't consider nascar a sport either.

This is one of the big events of the X games and some of these dudes are crazy. How can they let that one guy participate with only four hours of experience on a snowmobile. He is lucky he didn't kill himself but his wayward sled sent a kid to the hospital. What were people thinking when they let him participate.

Doing a flip on a snowmobile is about as much of a sport as Georgetown basketball or Rutgers/UConn football. :)

An avid snowboarder here, so I'm a little biased. But some are very similar to rally racing as shown below. As you can see, very dangerous and I can understand how some might not consider the "trick" events a real sport.

But this one is a race, and to me, a very close parallel to rally racing, however insane it might look.

I hate the x games. Especially when they put it on espn and there could be a hoops game on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This drives me nuts every sunday. worlds strongest man, billiards, womens college hoops...do they really think more than 1% of the population wants to watch any of it? Only good thing is, it gets me turn the idiot box off :)

This drives me nuts every sunday. worlds strongest man, billiards, womens college hoops...do they really think more than 1% of the population wants to watch any of it? Only good thing is, it gets me turn the idiot box off :)

Well usually there is a Sunday night ACC game on as well as another game on the Big 10 network but not last night with the aussie Open rewind and the X games. What drives me crazy is when they put Bull riding on CBS College. What.

Thankfully its over tomorrow and we can return to our normal schedule of games.

It may not be a sport, but it entertains me. I look forward to the X games every year. It was in my 3 channel rotation last night. It, the pro bowl, and a stupid 2 man survivor show.

Should it be on another channel? Not sure it matters as I have about 300.

You can make the cord long enough where that is not an issue or it could be wireless. I'm not blaming anyone. but clearly there is a problem that needs to be solved.

Sport: (noun) an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

I never understood when people take such a narrow view of what a sport is, as if there's only room for three or four "true sports." In what possible way would this not be considered a sport? Because there's a motor involved?

How do they practice this stuff without killing themselves?

I'm pretty sure they use giant foam filled landing "tanks" for most of it. I'm not sure with the snowmobiles because the sled itself would be a hazard as with that guy who got the lacerated heart or whatever horrible injury that was.

More of a 'sport' than golf, billiards, or Monster Trucks. And are they still running POKER on ESPN? That doesn't belong. That said, I don't watch any xGames programming.

More of a 'sport' than golf, billiards, or Monster Trucks. And are they still running POKER on ESPN? That doesn't belong. That said, I don't watch any xGames programming.
The E in ESPN stands for entertainment, so why doesn't it belong?

They were thinking "Eddie the Eagle".

They
That thing should have a kill switch like a jetski so if the rider falls off the engine cuts off.
They do.

How do they practice this stuff without killing themselves?
For snowboarders, they jump into foam pits. No kidding.
Now for snowmobiles, there's no way they have that luxury unless they have a crane cause I've been in one of those pits. Hard enough to get out of them with your own two feet, can't imagine having a snowmobile along with it. :eek: