Do you find yourself more relaxed on third downs than prior years? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Do you find yourself more relaxed on third downs than prior years?

It's not your imagination. We are absolutely killing it on third down this season (2nd in the country just behind Miami). Over the past decade we have fluctuated between mediocrity and nightmarishly bad on third downs. Here's our national ranking each year.

2024: 2
2023: 80
2022: 99
2021: 116
2020: 123
2019: 75
2018: 58
2017: 81
2016: 71
2015: 121
2014: 112

I rarely worry at all on third down if at all.

I'm definitely much more relaxed on 1st and 20.
This is huge. Again, 1st and 20 in recent seasons meant the drive was over. Not so this year. It’s like watching a real football team.

This is huge. Again, 1st and 20 in recent seasons meant the drive was over. Not so this year. It’s like watching a real football team.
Especially when you'd run it the first two downs, then say the heck with it and run it a couple extra yards for the punt.

Why did Arizona hire Dino again?

Honestly, if it's 1st and 20, I find myself disappointed if we get to 3rd down.

Not sure how sustainable some of these third and long conversions are. But perhaps they are?

Want to see more yards on first.

Yes, and decidedly so.

In fact, I also think we tend to execute best on 3rd and long (5+ yards). One, because it likely won't be a running play. Two, Kyle is very good at getting through progressions, moving the D with his eyes, and those routes tend to be faster developing. Three, Pena, OG, and Allen are tough covers in those situations.

More relaxed than last year, but not relaxed.

But also feeling hopeful that even with third and long, we have a legitimate hope to make it. That is completely different than last year.

Having receivers like OG and Pena has been amazing this year and now we also have a guy who can deliver the ball and LA as an outlet. Just writing this makes me a little giddy. It’s been so long so we had this many weapons and a QB able to deliver.

If we somehow can get a more consistent running game going we’d be near impossible.

I am surprised at the 2018 ranking. Felt like Dungey could get 5 yards every play whether it be his legs or a quick pass.
We had tons of three and outs then. It was feast or famine. We either got the offense going and our pace wore defenses out or we'd go 3 and out in 20 seconds.

I would say I feel hopeful moreso than relaxed. Maybe it'll eventually get back to expectant like it was with McNabb.