do you really want the WV offense? | Syracusefan.com

do you really want the WV offense?

upperdeck

Living Legend
seemed like about all they did was hope the QB could throw the deep fade type plays into coverage and have the WR come down with the ball our else hope the line held up long enough to throw 20 yd come back routes.. can anyone really say that style would work without really dynamic qb wrs? if our db's were better at finding the ball we would have pretty much shut them down all night..

but at least our db's were close enough to usually tackle the wr after the catch.. the WV db's looked like our TE's had Romulan cloaking devices on. the TE's should have had 5 tds and only gotten touched one time..

seemed like about all they did was hope the QB could throw the deep fade type plays into coverage and have the WR come down with the ball our else hope the line held up long enough to throw 20 yd come back routes.. can anyone really say that style would work without really dynamic qb wrs? if our db's were better at finding the ball we would have pretty much shut them down all night..

but at least our db's were close enough to usually tackle the wr after the catch.. the WV db's looked like our TE's had Romulan cloaking devices on. the TE's should have had 5 tds and only gotten touched one time..

If we do what we did tonight, mix aggressive plays with some conservative ones, get everybody involved, and play up tempo... I would take this offense every day of the week. Also, keep in mind that the potential is much greater. Imagine if Broyld, Hunt, Kinder, etc are capable of throwing an efficient deep ball, and Kobena, Hale, Cornelius, etc can separate? AND add in the fact that Nassib will tuck and run for 5 yards now, so how about when one of the previously listed athletically superior QB goes for 25 on similar plays? A lot of work to do to get those kids as poised as Ryan, but if the coaches can do it, and the defense stays as strong as expected, we are back in the top 15 in the not too distant future. NOW CAN I PLEASE GET AN AMEN FROM RON THOMPSON!!???!!

To be fair, Holgersen is working with someone else's recruits. How that offense might work with his own is another question.

devil's advocate.

that's the worst game they will have this year. and they still had 400 yards.

i can't say enough about our defense. holding them to 400 yards is a remarkable accomplishment. we were about 140 yards better than LSU. LSU!!!

big reason i'm so unbelievably impressed with the defense is because i think that's such a great offense

I like a balanced offensive philosophy. At some point you have to be able to line up and punch someone in the mouth, and at the same time you have to have the threat of the deep ball to keep the safeties back. I think as we continue to improve our talent and the young talent we have matures we'll see our offense do this more often. I think it's important that we temper our enthusiasm and know that at this point last night was the exception for this team, not the rule. I'm looking forward to it eventually becoming the rule, however!

really if he dbs do a better job on the deep balls we limit about 150 of those yds. the one late in the half we had tripple coverage with 2 safeties deep and messed it up.. even the long td should have been at worst a 30 yd catch.

really if he dbs do a better job on the deep balls we limit about 150 of those yds. the one late in the half we had tripple coverage with 2 safeties deep and messed it up.. even the long td should have been at worst a 30 yd catch.
for once i agree. just a great job by the defense

devil's advocate.

that's the worst game they will have this year. and they still had 400 yards.

i can't say enough about our defense. holding them to 400 yards is a remarkable accomplishment. we were about 140 yards better than LSU. LSU!!!

big reason i'm so unbelievably impressed with the defense is because i think that's such a great offense
Yeah, the defense was incredible.

Plus, I think the question in the OP is a little misleading. That was an unusual performance from the Holgorsen O. The guy has an impressive track record, our staff just prepared the team extremely well and our guys made the plays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom